822 10 2017-7-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ebo974
lvl.2
Flight distance : 83730 ft
Réunion

Hi all,

Are you doing a fresh compas calibration each time you change place? Dji says its not an obligation. What do you think about that?
2017-7-24
Use props
Dirk52
Second Officer
Flight distance : 232995 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Before the first flight calibrate it clean.
After that do only a calibration when the Copter or App request it.
2017-7-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

In your manual it clearly tells you not to calibrate only when prompted, I'm not sure why someone would tell you to calibrate before first flight, if you have a good compass , why would need to do anything with it.

2017-7-24
Use props
ebo974
lvl.2
Réunion

You right. Calibration is shown as green/excellent, so I think i'll only calibrate it when the App will ask.
Thanks guy!
2017-7-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ebo974 Posted at 2017-7-24 03:07
You right. Calibration is shown as green/excellent, so I think i'll only calibrate it when the App will ask.
Thanks guy!

Good job to much misinformation and myths about calibration, I will post you a link below might help.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... &fromuid=260008
2017-7-24
Use props
ebo974
lvl.2
Réunion

Thanks alot for the advices Hallmark.
2017-7-24
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

As others have stated, I only calibrate my compass when prompted by the app.  I own 5 DJI platforms and I can count on 1 hand how many times I've calibrated my compass.
2017-7-24
Use props
Dirk52
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

ebo974 Posted at 2017-7-24 03:07
Thanks guy!

One, clear compass calibration couldn't be wrong when you do it the right way. And when you do it by yourself you know that it is correct. (requirement is you do it right)
I calibrated the compass on all my Dji modells one (1) time. Hundrets of hours of flyingtime with no problem.
It is up to you.
2017-7-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dirk52 Posted at 2017-7-24 04:00
One, clear compass calibration couldn't be wrong when you do it the right way. And when you do it by yourself you know that it is correct. (requirement is you do it right)
I calibrated the compass on all my Dji modells one (1) time. Hundrets of hours of flyingtime with no problem.
It is up to you.

It's very easy to see if your compass is on a good heading, if something is working good , why would you risk making it worse, this is also the way dji are thinking.
2017-7-24
Use props
Dirk52
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-24 04:21
It's very easy to see if your compass is on a good heading, if something is working good , why would you risk making it worse, this is also the way dji are thinking.

This is the way they are now thinking.. When you go back a year or two there was the "calibrate it before every flight" rule.
You can handle it as you like, but like I mentioned before, a clean calibration can't make it worse.
From Dji in China it is about 7000km to me. So one clean calibration in open field can't be bad. And my experience confirming this.. no flyaway or anything else.
2017-7-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dirk52 Posted at 2017-7-24 04:45
This is the way they are now thinking.. When you go back a year or two there was the "calibrate it before every flight" rule.
You can handle it as you like, but like I mentioned before, a clean calibration can't make it worse.
From Dji in China it is about 7000km to me. So one clean calibration in open field can't be bad. And my experience confirming this.. no flyaway or anything else.

This is not 2 years ago, and if you go back and read the then manuals you'll see that most of explanation for dji drones was written in inconspicuous English and so the myth grew. There are still many drones old and new where compass calibration is needed before flying , but not dji drones, and that includes if you travel 1000 of miles.
It's simple you will be prompted by your app when compass calibration is needed, yes if you do a calibration correctly it will do no harm, but if it doesn't need it doing it won't make it better. Common sense should prevail.
2017-7-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules