Real estate photos
1831 22 2017-7-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ruggs
lvl.2
United States

So I am not a professional photographer but I am asked every so often by my brother-in-law to take pictures of some of his real estate listings. I have been charging him $50 for 20-30 pictures. I am selling my current home and buying another thru him. He is not giving me any discount on his commission (3% for the sale and 3% for the purchase or about $17,000 total). I want to start charging him the going rate for my services instead of the small $50 amount. What is the going rate that people charge for real estate photos? I am in the Detroit Metro area.
Thanks,
2017-7-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

It's hard to say as prices vary a lot but it's probably around $200 or even more.
I'd be wondering why you even list and buy with him, giving him $17K if he doesn't value the relationship enough to give you a special deal.
If I was you, I'd be looking at shopping elsewhere - he's not doing you any favours.
2017-7-25
Use props
iFlyMyDrone.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 740548 ft
United States

You must possess Part 107 Certification in order to fly commercially. This includes charging for photography.
2017-7-25
Use props
Ruggs
lvl.2
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-7-25 04:03
It's hard to say as prices vary a lot but it's probably around $200 or even more.
I'd be wondering why you even list and buy with him, giving him $17K if he doesn't value the relationship enough to give you a special deal.
If I was you, I'd be looking at shopping elsewhere - he's not doing you any favours.

Yep. I agree but my wife won't let me go to someone else as it would cause problems. My only recourse is to not give him a break on my services.
As far as the Part 107 cert. like I said, Im not doing this commercially, Just a favor.
2017-7-25
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Ruggs Posted at 2017-7-25 04:15
Yep. I agree but my wife won't let me go to someone else as it would cause problems. My only recourse is to not give him a break on my services.
As far as the Part 107 cert. like I said, Im not doing this commercially, Just a favor.

Yes, but you are charging him for the photos, and that is considered to be commercial, and requires you to have the 107. Doesn't matter to most of us probably, but be careful...........the wrong guy will have a hay-day turning you in. I may be wrong but I have heard of this before.
I don't know how well they actually enforce it, but the FAA says you cannot trade, barter or accept any type of compensation for your photos or it is considered "commercial".
2017-7-25
Use props
Ruggs
lvl.2
United States

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-7-25 04:21
Yes, but you are charging him for the photos, and that is considered to be commercial, and requires you to have the 107. Doesn't matter to most of us probably, but be careful...........the wrong guy will have a hay-day turning you in. I may be wrong but I have heard of this before.
I don't know how well they actually enforce it, but the FAA says you cannot trade, barter or accept any type of compensation for your photos or it is considered "commercial".

Like I said, This is for my brother-in-law. Not doing this for anyone else so I don't think he will turn me in. He does not know the first thing about drones, FAA rules/regs or even 107.
Im just trying to stick it to him like he stuck me. If he were to turn me in, he would need to go else where for his drone photos and pay way more than he's paying me. So I don't see that happening.
2017-7-25
Use props
BlueMan
lvl.2
Flight distance : 73087 ft
Canada

Ruggs Posted at 2017-7-25 04:35
Like I said, This is for my brother-in-law. Not doing this for anyone else so I don't think he will turn me in. He does not know the first thing about drones, FAA rules/regs or even 107.
Im just trying to stick it to him like he stuck me. If he were to turn me in, he would need to go else where for his drone photos and pay way more than he's paying me. So I don't see that happening.

why are you so stubborn man? you're the type of person that keeps forcing more and more strict regulations.
if you DON'T have your 107 then you CAN'T even sell a photo for $1!!!
get your head out of your @$$ and follow the rules like everyone else
2017-7-25
Use props
Ruggs
lvl.2
United States

BlueMan Posted at 2017-7-25 05:02
why are you so stubborn man? you're the type of person that keeps forcing more and more strict regulations.
if you DON'T have your 107 then you CAN'T even sell a photo for $1!!!
get your head out of your @$$ and follow the rules like everyone else

Kiss my lilly white ass BlueMan. You follow your rules, I'll follow mine. This is a hobby, not a profession. Don't tell me you are above everyone else.
2017-7-25
Use props
Ruggs
lvl.2
United States

OK, so to make the BlueMan and everyone else who has a problem with this happy, Lets say next time I am asked to get some aerial photos of a home listing, I will take a helium balloon with a 30 foot string and a GoPro camera attached and take some pictures. What would you charge for this service?
A: Travel time/from to the address.
B: Time to take the photos.
C: download and email.

Figure about 2-3 hours

PS: The "drone" is registered with the FAA. And I do follow the rules
2017-7-25
Use props
Crack The Sky
lvl.3
Flight distance : 123402 ft
United States

Ruggs Posted at 2017-7-25 05:38
OK, so to make the BlueMan and everyone else who has a problem with this happy, Lets say next time I am asked to get some aerial photos of a home listing, I will take a helium balloon with a 30 foot string and a GoPro camera attached and take some pictures. What would you charge for this service?
A: Travel time/from to the address.
B: Time to take the photos.

Your bold statement that you follow the rules would be comical if it were not pathetic. You are not flying for hobby, you are flying commercially, with-out a commercial license. There are not your rules and my rules; there are only the rules and you are a lawbreaker. And, Blueman did not say he was above everybody else, while you on the otherhand, have clearly stated that you are below most of us.
2017-7-25
Use props
Ruggs
lvl.2
United States

Where did I say that I didn't possess my remote pilot cert? I think if you read the entire thread you won't find that I didn't say that. But I did say that I did follow the rules. Therefor I do possess it.
Now, want to respond DB?
2017-7-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Yep. I agree but my wife won't let me go to someone else as it would cause problems.

Seems like that's a one-way street there.
I understand maintaining domestic peace can be complicated but a brother-in-law that's happy to take $17K in commissions without even a discount for relatives  ......
Good luck working things out with the parasite-in-law.
2017-7-25
Use props
BlueMan
lvl.2
Canada

Ruggs Posted at 2017-7-25 06:38
Where did I say that I didn't possess my remote pilot cert? I think if you read the entire thread you won't find that I didn't say that. But I did say that I did follow the rules. Therefor I do possess it.
Now, want to respond DB?

You stated multiple times you are not part 107 certified! therefore you can't fly commercially. that means making money off a shot. doesn't matter if its one a year or every day or for $1 or for $1,000.
2017-7-25
Use props
BlueMan
lvl.2
Canada

Labroides Posted at 2017-7-25 06:47
Yep. I agree but my wife won't let me go to someone else as it would cause problems.

Seems like that's a one-way street there.

his wife won't let him go to someone else....
clearly she took his man card so he needs to feel a little power by breaking drone laws and feeling like a rebel lol
2017-7-25
Use props
Ruggs
lvl.2
United States

He Dusch Bag BlueMan, please read a little slower back through this thread, Please tell me where it says that I am not part 107 certified. I keep that certificate and my business card with the drone. Not in my wallet like you so that you can show off what a nerd you really are. If I did keep it in my wallet I would post a picture of it and shove it down your throat. Its people like you that are making dornes a bad name. What a total dusch you are.
2017-7-25
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Ruggs Posted at 2017-7-25 04:35

Good for you. Wasn't trying to come across wrong. Wish you the best and I do understand. I guess I just wouldn't be putting it out there too much. Just my opinion. I do know of a guy in my area that got questioned about selling his photos. Nothing actually happened, but I think it was strongly suggested he stop or he could face some consequences. Not sure who really talked to him, but it was enough to make him nervous. Anyway, back to your original topic. I think if you look around a bit, some of those that are in business selling photos easily get $300-$500 for a small group of photos and even charge another $250-$300 for a 60 second video. I'm sure it is whatever the market will bear, but at $200 bucks for a shoot, you are being very fair I would think.
2017-7-25
Use props
fans8a594c16
lvl.1
Flight distance : 29826 ft
United States

The going rate for real estate photos seems to vary quite a lot depending on the area of the country.  Also, the property value seems to have a lot to do with it. I was a little surprised to see most realtors in my area won't pay for an aerial video on a property unless it is above $600,000 or even more. Seems really common for a $300,000 to $400,000 property to only have 2-3 aerial pictures along with the standard interior/pool photos. My guess is that if they only use 2-3 photos for the listing they aren't paying much more than you are charging your brother in law.
2017-7-25
Use props
Aerial-Image
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

He couldn't even give you a beer for doing it as that's classed as "commercial gain".... as you were given something for doing the job.
2017-7-26
Use props
EdSimmonsPhoto
lvl.1
Flight distance : 121371 ft
United States

Ruggs Posted at 2017-7-25 07:04
He Dusch Bag BlueMan, please read a little slower back through this thread, Please tell me where it says that I am not part 107 certified. I keep that certificate and my business card with the drone. Not in my wallet like you so that you can show off what a nerd you really are. If I did keep it in my wallet I would post a picture of it and shove it down your throat. Its people like you that are making dornes a bad name. What a total dusch you are.

This part sort of gives it away:  "As far as the Part 107 cert. like I said, Im not doing this commercially, Just a favor. "

If you had your 107, you would understand that taking ANY compensation for photography means that it is commercial vs. hobby.

I don't give two squirts either way, but the way you presented the question implies your lack of certification.

Ed
2017-7-26
Use props
Blackbeagle
lvl.3
Flight distance : 56 ft
United States

Ruggs....I agree with some of the others on here. You asked about price you can charge. Someone said to make sure you have your 107 Cert before you do this because , by taking in a fee, you are flying commercially, whether you think you do or your don't. The minute you take a fee, you are in the commercial class. Would you ever be caught? No. But you broke FAA rules by doing so. And it seems to me, by reading the posts, that you don't have that cert.  If you did, this thread would have been over a long time ago.
2017-7-26
Use props
fans74e27af7
New
United States

Back to your original question.. $150.00 for raw shots and if you need to edit then double that to $300.00. Shooting the pictures is the easy part. The editing is what can take hours.
2017-7-26
Use props
STRIDE8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1382431 ft
United States

Just call it a small donation
2017-7-26
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Favor or not, someone is making a buck (more) on it, so it is commercial, even if you give them away.
2017-7-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules