Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
RESOLVED The end of Nexus 7 2013
10530 16 2017-7-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wntmldrs_belgiu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 793281 ft
Belgium

For more than a year my nexus 7 2013 was my trusted screen. Through all the updates of aircraft and remote and app, the tablet performed well.
But after the last update the tablet shows its age. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes I lose the image and the aircraft asks politely if it's time to come home.
I also have a Ipad air 2 and the same aircraft flies like a dream. Most important the video is so fluent that the steering becomes easy and natural.
There are so many differences between the Android and the iOS app that they seem to have been developped by different compagnies.
Even the much lighter Litchie is not performing well with the video-feed the aircraft is returning. And as there is no powerful Android 7 inch tablet on offer that is the end of the Android DJI GO for me.
2017-7-27
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

I use the Nexus 7 vers 2 as well and have noticed some troubles. But I like it as its one of the few that adheres totally to Googles Android concept ... being a contracted build by Asus for Google.

I hate Apple and have been avoiding girly iPads etc. like the plague .... sadly I may have to swallow pride and get one .... seems DJI must have shares in Apple ....

Nigel
2017-7-28
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

This app crashing issue happens very randomly. To ensure stability and performance, our engineers have tested certain mobile devices which have been listed in our official website. Using one of recommended devices may help you get better experience.
2017-7-29
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

solentlife Posted at 2017-7-28 00:19
I use the Nexus 7 vers 2 as well and have noticed some troubles. But I like it as its one of the few that adheres totally to Googles Android concept ... being a contracted build by Asus for Google.

I hate Apple and have been avoiding girly iPads etc. like the plague .... sadly I may have to swallow pride and get one .... seems DJI must have shares in Apple ....

'I hate Apple and have been avoiding girly iPads etc. like the plague ...'

Just get it re-painted in matt black and fitted with gnarly tires. I can't stand Apple products, but swallowed my pride two years ago and bought an iPad Air 2, and it works flawlessly.
2017-7-29
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-7-29 18:34
This app crashing issue happens very randomly. To ensure stability and performance, our engineers have tested certain mobile devices which have been listed in our official website. Using one of recommended devices may help you get better experience.

Susie ... the Nexus is on the list - in fact is highly recc'd .... its actually why i bought it. It was fine till later FW etc.

Nigel
2017-7-30
Use props
KenTbk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 327644 ft
Singapore

me too, also using Nexus 7 2013, but i havent been flying with the new DJIgo 4 update, will tested it out on my coming up trip, if crash will fall back to iphone 6 plus as a backup
2017-7-31
Use props
wntmldrs_belgiu
lvl.4
Belgium

Having both DJI GO and LItchie, I had the choice of using one or the other.
As I wrote, after the last DJI GO update I had a hard time keeping my connection with the remote. Today I deleted the DJI GO app, and suddenly LItchie came to life with an absolute stutter free video.
Maybe the two apps create a USB port conflict. But now at least I am back flying with my Nexus. Maybe if I delete Litchie the DJI GO could be back on its feet.
2017-7-31
Use props
vufindr954
lvl.1
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-7-29 18:34
This app crashing issue happens very randomly. To ensure stability and performance, our engineers have tested certain mobile devices which have been listed in our official website. Using one of recommended devices may help you get better experience.

where can I find the list?
2018-3-31
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

vufindr954 Posted at 2018-3-31 15:33

Look in the specs of your aircraft on the DJI site.
2018-3-31
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

wntmldrs_belgiu Posted at 2017-7-31 12:36
Having both DJI GO and LItchie, I had the choice of using one or the other.
As I wrote, after the last DJI GO update I had a hard time keeping my connection with the remote. Today I deleted the DJI GO app, and suddenly LItchie came to life with an absolute stutter free video.
Maybe the two apps create a USB port conflict. But now at least I am back flying with my Nexus. Maybe if I delete Litchie the DJI GO could be back on its feet.

Do you Force Stop the one you are not using ?

It is not enough to just stop the non-use app ... you need to go into Menu, Apps .. scroll down and tap it ... then tap the FORCE STOP button.

Exit apps and go fly.

Nigel
2018-3-31
Use props
wntmldrs_belgium
lvl.4
Belgium

solentlife Posted at 2018-3-31 22:43
Do you Force Stop the one you are not using ?

It is not enough to just stop the non-use app ... you need to go into Menu, Apps .. scroll down and tap it ... then tap the FORCE STOP button.

I bought a second hardly used Nexus II and all my problems are gone. I can switch from Litchi to DJI without force-stopping. In the task bar I click on USB-options, then pick media transfer, then I get the choice of USB using apps click the one I want and presto.
Aften many weeks of problems with the first Nexus I come to the conclusion that the Nexus problem sits in a very unsuspected corner. It is the weak design of the micro-USB connection. It is not the cable, it is not the app, it is not the tablet itself but the worn out micro-usb socket.

micro usb

micro usb

The outside connections provide the charging power, and the two of the other the data transfer. The challenge of the designers was making a connector the was slimmer than the well-performing mini-USB, as used by the old phones and Gopros. As the outer shell of the connector on the device side wears out it looses it snug contact with the cable side, the only thing you can do is gently force the connection strip between the red dots towards the rounded side, and very slightly diminish the height of the receptable.
Many Phantom Android tablet users force the USB choice by removing the cable and plug it back in. Each and everytime is one step closer to the end. I never remove the cable and charge the tablet by taking the cable out of the remote and plug it in a charger. The micro-usb weak design is not meant to be used on the go, certainly not on the fly
Thus the big plus of an iOS device resides in a better designed connection : the Lightning plug.
2018-4-1
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

The Micro USB is as you say a pain as it gets bad easily. My 10'' tablet eventually failed to take the plug and a pal of mine who's a whiz with electronics fitted a new one.

Samsung has now gone to the USB C plug - supposed to be more robust and of course is pluggable in any which way up / down.

Anyway - onto starting up ... I have found best way for me is to start the Nexus ... but leave unplugged. Start controller and then AC ... once green light - plug into the tablet and up pops a box asking whether I want Go or Litchi ... I choose Just Once otherwise it will default to which you use next time. Even though Litchi is usually Force Stopped - it still gives me option.

I like to have one Force Stopped as I use DU Screen Recorder while flying quite often - so I like to keep as much RAM available as possible.

Nigel
2018-4-1
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

vufindr954 Posted at 2018-3-31 15:33

You can check the recommended list in the corresponding product page. If it is a Spark, you can find it from here: https://www.dji.com/spark/info#downloads
2018-4-3
Use props
Kevin Beal
New

United States

my nexus 7 has always worked ok with my phantom 3 standard....       hadnt used it in awhile...did the firmware update an   soon as i  hit camera....  it crashes.....    ....cleaned catche....    removed an reinstalled dji  app.............     still  crashes second i hit camera  in the app..........screen never loads,,,,       is my nexus doomed?   
2018-6-14
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

The Nexus 7 is in 3 versions .... well as far as I see ... maybe there is a 4th ?

Nexus 7 vers 1 was only good for the older lesser machines ... not worth trying.

Nexus 7 vers 2 (often termed the 2012) is the all-round machine that is recc'd by DJI and should give a reasonable performance. It will have odd blips and stops - but generally is a good hobbyist tablet to use on all P3 machines. Comes in either 16Gb or 32Gb version. The 16Gb is good, the 32Gb is better if you can find one !!

Nexus 7 vers 3 (often termed the 2013) is the later model and is supposed to work better than the vers 2. I do not know but price says its got a good following.

Whichever model used ... its worth using the Force Stop option ....

Note : 1,2,3 Vers are all out of production and only refurbs / 2nd user out there. Anyone who claims its new has either never taken it out of box or they are kidding you !

Nigel
2018-6-15
Use props
Filipok
lvl.2
United States

I fly with the Nexus Asus 2nd gen. Oddly, DJI Go 4 runs well and Litchi randomly disconnects and sometimes freezes the entire tablet. Then it reboots. I'd love to figure out why. Litchi, DJI, and a screen recorder are the only non-installation applications on the tablet.
2019-7-9
Use props
Stuart Mcnicholas
New

United Kingdom

Great read the ipad was fine bought one wont install dgi go 4 read a nexus 7 will work bought one now finding out it won't work not a happy bunny
2020-2-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules