Unlocking NFZ ...
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dobmatt
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

There's enough confusion and misunderstandings about the concept of geofencing system, but one issue striked me just recently. So, if there's a particular No Fly Zone for whatever reason, than what's the idea behind unlocking procedure? No fly means NO FLY! Enlight me, please ...
2017-7-27
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Many of these vehicles are sold with the name "Pro" attached to them, meaning professional.  This means that there are operators out there who ply their services for hire.  It stands to reason that many of them could be hired to conduct their flights in one of these zones, and therefore some mechanism would need to exist that permits them to unlock the restriction to permit them to do their mission.  There are many possibilities that might require this necessity.  Such as, conducting inspections of buildings and structures inside such a zone, performing filming for a commercial or movie or as a prop in said production, helping to map an area in some detail, or performing a demonstration of sorts like at an airshow.  Obviously, any of these efforts would require applying for exemptions or waivers with the correct controlling authorities before you would unlock and fly.  It also makes sense that hobbyists do not have a reason to fly in restricted airspace, and thus the restrictions would remain locked.  At some point, each pilot operator has to be responsible for their flights and operation of their craft.  Personally, I do not think it is DJI’s place to be playing big brother.  However, when idiots go flying in places they should not and lawyers get involved you get these types of restrictions.
2017-7-27
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

DJI’s No Fly Zone (NFZ) feature can help you avoid inadvertent operation in locations that could raise safety or security concerns, such as near airports or special area and so on. The NFZ provided by DJI is for advisory purposes only. But if someone needs to use the drone in NFZ, he/she needs to provide unlock authorization material first and gets the approval. This is for special use, and we try to meet user's needs of flying the drone in NFZ.   
2017-7-28
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Dobmatt has a point though, "no fly zone" means no fly.  That's why FAA (for example) doesn't use that phrase.  They use "restricted" rather than "no fly."  
2017-7-28
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-7-28 01:35
DJI’s No Fly Zone (NFZ) feature can help you avoid inadvertent operation in locations that could raise safety or security concerns, such as near airports or special area and so on. The NFZ provided by DJI is for advisory purposes only. But if someone needs to use the drone in NFZ, he/she needs to provide unlock authorization material first and gets the approval. This is for special use, and we try to meet user's needs of flying the drone in NFZ.

That much I know, Thor. I've read all available information on DJI's official Fly Safe site back and forth. However, if DJI opted for such effective flying restrictions mechanism in form of geofencing system (which most of reasonable pilots respects wholeheartedly), than unlocking procedure by DJI should be eliminated at all. If professionals of particular trade must use UAV to perform flying in NFZ for whatever reason, they should obtain permit to fly from local authorities and employ aircrafts with no "grounding" feature. This approach will take the burden of decision making off DJI's head ...
2017-7-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules