Scary auto-landing
1392 6 2017-7-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansfa9c1c91
lvl.3
Flight distance : 197 ft
United States

Today I was flying in the same NFZ that I have been flying for more than a month, but today I got a meassge popped up telling me the AC will auto land in 12 seconds or something (was at altitude only about 10 meters and about 20 meters away). I could not cancel the auto landing! And then I tried the pause button and all other buttons and stick movement but they had no effect at all. The RC was beeping all the times. Luckily I was flying it in a football field so it was autolanding on the grass. It was scary to get that helpless feel...

Anyone know any way at all to intervene or stop the AC from autolanding in this situation? I can only imagine if it were to occur near trees or water....
2017-7-27
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

weird.. i mean i know DJi is cracking down more on air zones/airspace...  but it shouldn't have done that.. did you check to see if the height was out of wack.. like showing 1 foot off the ground or something?   it is dangerous for that very reason, even if you legit shouldn't be flying in that area at all, having it autoland out of your control at a distance is no good..  this is where having failsafes are needed..   because a spark will land in a tree or water... its not smart enought to know.  i had my ex-spark autoland its self in a tree before..

i  seen a few glitches with the spark in the latest firmware when someone had his or hers auto land itself because a sensor rear 0.2Meters but they were hundreds of feet up..  another one i rear somewhere else where similar glitch on latest firmware.. or maybe a bug landed on sensor or something.. either way, it triggered auto landing..  these types of glitches aren't good either..
2017-7-27
Use props
fansfa9c1c91
lvl.3
United States

Thanks very much for the insight. I did not look the Go app to see the altitude but I am absolutely sure it was no more than 15 meters from the ground and there was still lots of light at 6:30pm (California). The NFZ I have been in is yellow in color according to the map in DJI website. I never had this auto landing issue before updating to the Go app and the new firmware. Wonder if my case has anything to do with these recent updates.

But nonetheless, again, seriously, DJI has to give us the ability to abort/overide auto landing asap
2017-7-27
Use props
fansfa9c1c91
lvl.3
United States

Oh I need to add that I just remember seeing the message was about auto landing due to the D (or E or something?) no fly zone
2017-7-27
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansfa9c1c91 Posted at 2017-7-27 22:50
Oh I need to add that I just remember seeing the message was about auto landing due to the D (or E or something?) no fly zone

airspace class: D would hopefully prevent take off.. class D suggests you are very very close to an airport (or at airport) and within restricted/controlled airspace.

class E is no worries..  most airspace in the states is class E, and Class E requires no permission.  

Class E:
Controlled airspace which is neither class A, B, C nor D. In most areas of the United States, class E airspace extends from 1,200 feet (370 m) AGL up to but not including 18,000 feet (5,500 m) MSL, the lower limit of class A airspace. There are areas where class E airspace begins at either the surface or 700 AGL, these areas are used to transition between the terminal and en-route environments (around non-towered airports). These areas are designated on sectional charts. Most airspace in the United States is class E. The airspace above FL600 is also class E. No ATC clearance or radio communication is required for VFR flight in class E airspace. VFR visibility and cloud clearance requirements are the same as for class C and D airspaces when below 10,000 feet (3,000 m) MSL. Above 10,000 ft MSL, the visibility requirement is extended to 5 miles (8 km) and the cloud clearance requirement is extended to 1,000 feet (300 m) below clouds, 1,000 feet (300 m) above, and 1 mile (1.6 km) laterally
2017-7-27
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

No-Fly Zones include airports, Restricted Areas and warning areas. Airport No-Fly Zones are comprised of Take-off Restricted Zones and Restricted Altitude Zones. If you flew the drone near the airport and it landed automatically, it might be that the drone was entering to Take-off Restricted Zones, you could not cancel the auto landing, throttle sticks were not able to be controlled. You can check the flight record about the whole processes of this flight.
2017-7-29
Use props
CharlieZ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 623432 ft
United States

You need to alway be ready to take over the control just in case.
2019-1-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules