Control in Failsafe V2+ didn't work!
1358 14 2015-3-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bahamasboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13845 ft
United States

Interesting thing today... I'm fully updated on FW and had 10 sat's locked in tight.  I flipped into failsafe using s1 at about 200 ft out and an altitude above my RTH settings (about 200 ft).   Mary Poppins (the quad) flew above the home point and started to descend.  I tried the "new feature" of controlling the roll and yaw and got NO movement from the bird.   

This was a controlled test since I simply needed to flip back to GPS mode to take control but she did NOT function as expected.  Anyone else experience this?

2015-3-23
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Are you in Phantom or NAZA-M?
Which Phantom Config?
I am not sure this works in Phantom mode! As I have not tried it.
That said, I fly all NAZA-M and it works flawlessly there, probably 15-20 times I have ran to battery RTH and tested several other time and no issues.

Read down this thread about the 22nd post...I did some reading to verify above...
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... ra=page%3D1&lang=en
2015-3-23
Use props
bahamasboy
lvl.4
United States

I'm in NAZA-M. Phantom Non V3.   Have you tried it by initiating the failsafe or only with running the battery to RTH??  I read that thread yesterday which is what reminded me to try it today.  I'm just wondering if it functions differently if it's a non-low battery (automatic)  RTH.  
thanks North!
2015-3-23
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

I thought I read somewhere (DJI Autumn maybe) that the control only worked in a low batt RTH mode.
2015-3-23
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

bahamasboy@aol. Posted at 2015-3-24 09:35
I'm in NAZA-M. Phantom Non V3.   Have you tried it by initiating the failsafe or only with running t ...

Here are the tests I have done so far and each numerous times....
Not sure if I did S1 into Failsafe..I will have to double and triple check that but cannot now as it is raining..again!
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... ing%2Bblind&lang=enI presume when you went into Failsafe (S1 in position 3) you had S2 to the top (position 1)?
2015-3-23
Use props
bahamasboy
lvl.4
United States

I read and enjoyed that thread last night too!  thanks for all your "reporting".    Yes, I was S2 position 1 and S1 position 3.   I'll try it again tomorrow and see if I get the same results since today was the first time I've tried to use the sticks on failsafe.   Maybe I was babying it too much and not giving it enough stick...I've read somewhere that the gains are different in RTH.  I'll let you all know what happens with hard sticks.
2015-3-23
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

bahamasboy@aol. Posted at 2015-3-24 10:10
I read and enjoyed that thread last night too!  thanks for all your "reporting".    Yes, I was S2 po ...

I can definitely say they are different, I would guess maybe 15%-20% of what full range would be, as you can imagine it was told to land, all you can do is guide it a bit in all directions, and only once it has started its descent at its RTH location, even raise it but not quick or anything...also note, it literally has to be on its descent for you to have any control...I have used it lots and no issues in any other modes,
2015-3-23
Use props
craig
lvl.2
Flight distance : 32743 ft
United States

bahamasboy@aol. Posted at 2015-3-24 09:35
I'm in NAZA-M. Phantom Non V3.   Have you tried it by initiating the failsafe or only with running t ...

I ran the battery out on my Phantom 2 with v3.12 as a test. As it entered failsafe and rose to 60' and heading  home towards a tree I tried to bring it down and or maneuver around the tree. I had no control, I believe i was in GPS mode and Off-S2. I'm going to change the RTH to 100', I was lucky to get it out of the tree.
2015-3-23
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

craig@shootersi Posted at 2015-3-24 11:16
I ran the battery out on my Phantom 2 with v3.12 as a test. As it entered failsafe and rose to 60' ...

Craig,You do not have maneuverability upon RTH being enabled due to low battery, lost connection between the RC and the Phantom etc. until the Phantom has actually started its descent...Once descending you can maneuvere it to land. Your only option prior following an RTH would be to toggle S1 down and back...I have done that numerous times without any problem..
Good idea to check your RTH height as you suggested in advance,,,
2015-3-23
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2015-3-24 12:08
You have no maneuverability upon RTH being enabled due to low battery, lost connection between the ...

Tomorrow is going to be a picture perfect day for flying.  4 knot winds, sunny and 32 f.  Got 3 batteries all charged up.   I'll be doing a lot of testing and flying.
2015-3-23
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Baha,
o.k, so i could not resist testing this out, weather cleared here tonight after 10:00 p.m,
I am in NAZA-M,  i launched and twice flew out about 400', entered Failsafe (S1 in pos. 3) and sure enough, on both trials, BB went to its RTH height, came to the RTH location and descended and i had NO CONTROL in this mode during the landed, i just let her land and all was good on both tests....
If i recall, this was discussed a while back and now recall having a pretty good reason why.
When entering a "manual failsafe" as with using the switch you are closing the circuit, the software cannot override it, it is almost like turning off the RC, software cannot work through the closed switch so it does make sense to me....This is completely different than if you you have an RTH due to low battery, the circuit is still open though you have limited (but pretty decent) control and only during the landing...

One thing i should note, that during the failsafe with S1 in pos. 3, i was able to flip S1 back into pos. 1 and regain full control...I did this twice following the above two runs that i made...Alll good.
2015-3-23
Use props
bahamasboy
lvl.4
United States

Thanks for the test flights North. Your last test is exactly what I've experienced including the flipping back S1 into position 1 and regaining control.   I have yet to let it auto land completely... I will someday just so I can say that I have.  

It's nice to have people out there who will confirm/deny our flight trials... keeps us all up to date and better informed!  You all ROCK!
2015-3-24
Use props
lta13
New

United States

It's not rocket science here guys..... If you enter failsafe mode by switching the S1 switch all the way down(position 3) you are MANUALLY putting the Phantom in its return to home(RTH) mode. When doing this you WILL LOSE ALL inputs on the sticks.  The Phantom will return to its starting location, hover, and then land on its own. The Phantom will NOT respond to your stick inputs until you take it out of failsafe by returning the S1 switch back to GPS or all the way up to position 1.
2015-11-10
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

When the s1 is dropped to the Failsafe it take a few seconds for it to respond. When it does you have no control until you flip the S1 back up then down to atti and back up and you will have control again.
If you do not take control the Phantom will auto land and normally is within 3 meters of where it took off from.
Fail safe is a fantastic option as is home lock. Love that GPS.
2015-11-11
Use props
quanthonytrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Try RTH command via the DJI vision app. Wouldn't this be a better option as it would leave the circuits open?
2015-11-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules