My dji spark fell out of the sky
2006 23 2017-7-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansf11a5034
New
United States

My spark's engines will cut off at random times making it hit the ground. Lucky none of my falls have been from that high. But I'm worried to fly my drone. Is there a fix to this problem? I've flown it maybe 20 times and it's fallen twice. What can I do? Please help
2017-7-30
Use props
fans5d9349b7
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Is this with the latest firmware flashed to your drone and battery?
2017-7-30
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Dont think it has anything to do with latest fw it was happening on .400 also. I think its a battery issue
2017-7-30
Use props
fans5d9349b7
lvl.2
United Kingdom

$gambino$ Posted at 2017-7-30 08:43
Dont think it has anything to do with latest fw it was happening on .400 also. I think its a battery issue

Yes it was happening on the old firmware. Mine failed too. I'm trying to figure out if the new firmware fixed the issue.
2017-7-30
Use props
fansf11a5034
New
United States

I haven't tried it with the updated firmware but in the description of the update it says nothing of this issue
2017-7-30
Use props
fans5d9349b7
lvl.2
United Kingdom

fansf11a5034 Posted at 2017-7-30 09:01
I haven't tried it with the updated firmware but in the description of the update it says nothing of this issue

The update apparently has new firmware for your batteries. You have to refresh the firmware with every battery. Maybe it'll fix your issue.
2017-7-30
Use props
fansf11a5034
New
United States

fans5d9349b7 Posted at 2017-7-30 09:12
The update apparently has new firmware for your batteries. You have to refresh the firmware with every battery. Maybe it'll fix your issue.

Alright thanks
2017-7-30
Use props
fans5d9349b7
lvl.2
United Kingdom

fansf11a5034 Posted at 2017-7-30 09:24
Alright thanks

You'll have to let us know if it does fix your issue. As there haven't been any reports of failures with the new firmware.. yet.
2017-7-30
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50988 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

I had just one incedent regarding a battery enter hibernate by itself after fully charged and that is on 0400 fw. That battery was used to fly 5-6 times without issue.
2017-7-30
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
United States

Most updates update the batteries also this happens all my Phantom 4 and Phantom 4 Pro like i said if it happened on older firmware I don't think it will fix the issue
2017-7-30
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
United States

I think there is a report someone posted yesterday or today I'm almost positive I saw it in the Forum
2017-7-30
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Please upgrade to the latest firmware first, if you still have this issue, please export the flight data for analysis.
2017-7-31
Use props
djiuser_88kFyjS
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4531 ft
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-7-31 23:01
Please upgrade to the latest firmware first, if you still have this issue, please export the flight data for analysis.

I have the latest firmware and for the first time since I got it my DJI Spark, it dropped out of the sky today.  I was in sport mode and suddenly it just stopped and dropped to the ground.  Luckily it wasn't very high and I was in my yard, so there was no damage.  The battery was at 30% when this occurred.  I had a message on my Android tablet, I don't remember exactly what it was except that it said "check for damage".  Now I'm afraid to fly where I would not be able to retrieve the drone or the drone will be damaged during the fall if this happens again.  How do I export the flight data and get it to DJI so that it can be analyzed?
2017-8-1
Use props
Eric04401
lvl.2
United States

djiuser_88kFyjS Posted at 2017-8-1 11:15
I have the latest firmware and for the first time since I got it my DJI Spark, it dropped out of the sky today.  I was in sport mode and suddenly it just stopped and dropped to the ground.  Luckily it wasn't very high and I was in my yard, so there was no damage.  The battery was at 30% when this occurred.  I had a message on my Android tablet, I don't remember exactly what it was except that it said "check for damage".  Now I'm afraid to fly where I would not be able to retrieve the drone or the drone will be damaged during the fall if this happens again.  How do I export the flight data and get it to DJI so that it can be analyzed?

It's me again I updated my username.  I found the instructions on downloading DJI Assistant and exporting the black box.  I'm trying to post the URL to Dropbox here but I'm getting a message that I do have permission to post a URL.  

I also called DJI and they suggested that I send the Spark to DJI for repair.  I opened case #CAS-853433-VOZODO and printed the repair slip, but I'm hoping it would be possible for DJI to review the black box and tell me if they find anything, as I've read comments from others about shipping the Spark to DJI and after several weeks hearing that the flight record showed that nothing was wrong.  
2017-8-1
Use props
UTSteveL
New
United States

Hey group,

Anyone check their spark's battery retention clips (the ones on the spark themselves)?

I've only flow about 20 times and I'm VERY gentle with battery removal. It appears the retaining clips are brittle and break easily.

It's hard to see in these pics, but this could cause a long term issue with batteries loosening.

Not sure how to proceed at this point. Should I return via amazon?

Anyone experiencing this?
2017-8-1
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

UTSteveL Posted at 2017-8-1 15:56
Hey group,

Anyone check their spark's battery retention clips (the ones on the spark themselves)?

should be a preflight check.  however given how springy the battery is in the lock, you would think the battery would fly out of the spark mid air if it was latches... at least i would assume would see that
2017-8-1
Use props
UTSteveL
New
United States

Agreed. It's always a pre flight check. I'm a bit concerned this has apparent after only 20 flights!!

I've heard rumor others have seen much worse damage in the same spot. I'm worried 20 more flights in and the vibration from flight might just snap it off.
2017-8-1
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Eric04401 Posted at 2017-8-1 13:33
It's me again I updated my username.  I found the instructions on downloading DJI Assistant and exporting the black box.  I'm trying to post the URL to Dropbox here but I'm getting a message that I do have permission to post a URL.  

I also called DJI and they suggested that I send the Spark to DJI for repair.  I opened case #CAS-853433-VOZODO and printed the repair slip, but I'm hoping it would be possible for DJI to review the black box and tell me if they find anything, as I've read comments from others about shipping the Spark to DJI and after several weeks hearing that the flight record showed that nothing was wrong.

We'll take care of it after it arrived, and will submit a data analysis, hope we can get it addressed shortly and everything goes smoothly.
2017-8-2
Use props
Eric04401
lvl.2
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-8-2 01:12
We'll take care of it after it arrived, and will submit a data analysis, hope we can get it addressed shortly and everything goes smoothly.

Is it possible for DJI to look at the flight record remotely to see what the issue was?  I would hate to not have the drone for the next 4 weeks only to hear back that there was nothing wrong.  I exported the flight data to Dropbox but this forum is not allowing me to post the URL.
2017-8-2
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Eric04401 Posted at 2017-8-2 04:23
Is it possible for DJI to look at the flight record remotely to see what the issue was?  I would hate to not have the drone for the next 4 weeks only to hear back that there was nothing wrong.  I exported the flight data to Dropbox but this forum is not allowing me to post the URL.

Yeah, we can analyze the data remotely. I thought you've already sent it in. Please refer to the video below to export the data, we need all of the data, flight controller data, flight controller log data, black box data. You can post the URL here, just copy it and paste it here,  like this, http://www.dji.com/support  
2017-8-2
Use props
Eric04401
lvl.2
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-8-2 04:50
Yeah, we can analyze the data remotely. I thought you've already sent it in. Please refer to the video below to export the data, we need all of the data, flight controller data, flight controller log data, black box data. You can post the URL here, just copy it and paste it here,  like this, http://www.dji.com/support  DJI Quick Tips - Spark - Exporting the Flight Data

Thank you, I watched the video and I've completed the steps except that I don't see where I can export flight controller LOG data from an Android tablet.  The video shows how to do it in iTunes when iOS is connected to the computer.  

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0wniwt ... 1_17-00-07.DAT?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jmz7n ... M7Qi5BsGYvz7Ia?dl=0
2017-8-2
Use props
Eric04401
lvl.2
United States

Eric04401 Posted at 2017-8-2 05:06
Thank you, I watched the video and I've completed the steps except that I don't see where I can export flight controller LOG data from an Android tablet.  The video shows how to do it in iTunes when iOS is connected to the computer.  

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0wniwtcpysbj7pq/DJI_ASSISTANT_EXPORT_FILE_2017-08-01_17-00-07.DAT?dl=0

I think I figured it out ...  Here's the link for the Flight Records folder that was on my Android tablet.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4tr2l ... 4zJJGK6W7dqxra?dl=0

The flight when the drone fell was August 1 at 2:00pm
2017-8-2
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Eric04401 Posted at 2017-8-2 05:13
I think I figured it out ...  Here's the link for the Flight Records folder that was on my Android tablet.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4tr2l3xkkz0twp9/AAD1ujrZWJv4zJJGK6W7dqxra?dl=0

Thank you for your info, I've forwarded them to our engineers for analysis, will get back to you once I got a reply from the engineers. Appreciate your patience.
2017-8-2
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Eric04401 Posted at 2017-8-2 05:13

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4tr2l3xkkz0twp9/AAD1ujrZWJv4zJJGK6W7dqxra?dl=0

Eric, could you please provide the incident flight controller data, fly038? We've double checked the data you provided, it's only the fly039 in the link.Thank you in advance.
2017-8-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules