Spark reverts back to 5.8ghz when turned off and back on
1255 8 2017-7-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Willy UK
New
United Kingdom

When I first turn on the spark and connect to my phone/ipad via wifi,  the connection is 5.8ghz. If I hold the spark power button until the 3  beeps, it changes to 2.4ghz no problem. However, if I turn off the spark  and back on again, it reverts back to 5.8ghz. Is there a way to set the  spark to use 2.4ghz as a default rather than 5.8ghz? With 2.4ghz, I can  go up to the height limit without losing connection. With 5.8ghz, it's a  no go. I posted a similar question over at the "official" thread and  did not receive a response.                
2017-7-31
Use props
fansb77449ae
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1634 ft
Denmark

DJI's finest programmers doing, no fix.
2017-7-31
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansb77449ae Posted at 2017-7-31 13:37
DJI's finest programmers doing, no fix.

which is sad.. and stupid asf.   specially for people in other parts of the world from where i am..like europe..

DJI update this in firmware...   i live in the states and 2.4Ghz is congested but 2.4Ghz goes noticeably further in the sky.. and with OTG no added lag that needs to be cut...

they need to really officially announce OTG support, offer cables for sale, and work on fixing the link between RC and the aircraft as well, untie video signal from the control signal...
2017-7-31
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Apologies for the inconvenience first. Our engineers are reviewing this issue. It is estimated that lock 2.4Ghz will be considered and released in the future.
2017-8-2
Use props
Matioupi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 922569 ft
France

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-8-2 01:24
Apologies for the inconvenience first. Our engineers are reviewing this issue. It is estimated that lock 2.4Ghz will be considered and released in the future.

DJI is the défaut to 5.8GHz a bug or choice on purpose ? (e.g. for mitigating the internal USB3 possible interferences effects)
2017-8-2
Use props
StarFishUK
lvl.3
Flight distance : 54970 ft
United Kingdom

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-8-2 01:24

Brilliant - this would be great. Thanks for listening.
2017-8-2
Use props
StarFishUK
lvl.3
Flight distance : 54970 ft
United Kingdom

Matioupi Posted at 2017-8-2 01:37
DJI is the défaut to 5.8GHz a bug or choice on purpose ? (e.g. for mitigating the internal USB3 possible interferences effects)

There is no WiFi congestion at all where I live. It is very rare to see any of the channels anything other than a tiny almost non-existent green bar. But 5.8Ghz gives a noticeably improved video feed. Better picture quality and smoother - I guess this is why they default to it. But it substantially restricts the range for me. I would rather have choppy video and better connection.
2017-8-2
Use props
Matioupi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 922569 ft
France

StarFishUK Posted at 2017-8-2 01:41
There is no WiFi congestion at all where I live. It is very rare to see any of the channels anything other than a tiny almost non-existent green bar. But 5.8Ghz gives a noticeably improved video feed. Better picture quality and smoother - I guess this is why they default to it. But it substantially restricts the range for me. I would rather have choppy video and better connection.

The spark does feature an Intel Movidius Myriad 2 CPU :

https://www.movidius.com/news/in ... act-dji-spark-drone

Inside this CPU chip, there is an integrated USB 3 adapter, which is probably used to retrieve data from the camera (speculation from my side here, but this is the purpose of this thing on the CPU)

USB 3 is well know to be able (not all the time) to cause interferences to 2.4GHz frequencies :

https://www.intel.com/content/ww ... rference-paper.html

I've faced it on a clear manner several times with totally different products. I've even faced (in professionnal envrionment) the case where USB 3 was jamming high end geodetic GNSS receivers. (more in the 1.5 and 1.2GHz band for L1 and L2)

There are ways to mitigate those effects by carefully shielding the USB 3 part. I've watched some tear down video :

and noticed that some connectors are wrapped / protected with metalic tape. I've not tear down meself, but when I faced the USB 3 interferences issues, shielding had to be stronger than the thin aliminium wrap I can see in the video.

My question to DJI was therefore if the 5.8GHz default was a choice made by their engineer to keep on the safe side of possible 2.4 GHz issues, or if it was a real bug.

2017-8-2
Use props
jh8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 39685 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Exactly, I agree 100% this should be an option!
- Auto/2.4GHz/5.8GHz (Auto=default)

We really need this option to get some reliable range in Europe (CE) in areas with low interference!
Right now it is a hassle having to reset everything after each restart (even battery change)!
2017-8-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules