Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Spark Battery lock's
7452 31 2017-8-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kyokushin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 296381 ft
Poland

Dear Dji, please redesign a battery locks. The blockers in a copter are big enough, but locks in a battery are too small.
There is a risk of damage an edge of blocker by sliding off the battery.

A battery locker is about 2 times smaller than block in hull. If it could be larger then larger area could be covered and could be more resistant to damages, and even would be damaged, then still a blocker in hull will be operational.

This is too small now, and even little damage of blocker may cause power cut off in flight.

A lock in battery.
IMG_20170810_193534.jpg

A blocker in hull. Much larger than a lock.
IMG_20170810_193508.jpg
2017-8-10
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

DJI products are tested for thousands of hours and proved that it was tough, and the design of the Spark is the most optimization one at the moment. I'll also forward your opinion to our engineers. Thanks for your kind feedback.
2017-8-11
Use props
Phuong Do
lvl.4
Flight distance : 29800 ft
Vietnam

I agree with DJI Thor that size does not say anything, it is all about Physics: If their engineers have already calculated the design, it should be secured enough. Not to mention they have successfully designed Phantom 1,2,3,4, Mavic, Inspire,... lots more other drones with no issue with batter latch, I strongly believe they cannot make this silly mistake in the battery latch like Gopro Karma (Karma is the first of its kind from Gopro brand so the design mistake can be understandable)
I understand Kyokushin might worry that the battery would pop out and cause the Spark falling. But most of the reported cases, pilots confirmed the battery was secured when fall. I don't think battery latch is the matter to worry.
2017-8-11
Use props
Lian82
lvl.4
Flight distance : 796775 ft
Italy

If you do not feel safe, make a stick of tape
2017-8-11
Use props
Kyokushin
lvl.4
Poland

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-11 00:15
DJI products are tested for thousands of hours and proved that it was tough, and the design of the Spark is the most optimization one at the moment. I'll also forward your opinion to our engineers. Thanks for your kind feedback.

Then they was tested wrong as shells was tested in p3p crack case.

I  can see on my spark a weak point on one battery block after few battery removes. I think it could happen in a case of not ultra-gentle battery removal. Now i am doing it ultra gentle, but it should be idiot-proof... or just more durable. I never used force to remove battery and a little weak point appeared. Its not becoming larger and not influing at now on safety, but installing and removing battery require a special care. Its just easy to broke.

Thank you for forwarding it to the engineers. I will buy with a pleasure a battery with larger lock's.

P.S.
Its not about scare of fall of battery mount. Its just about durability of mounting and possibility of damage the lock.
2017-8-12
Use props
SparkVR
New
Malaysia

Hi,

This is exactly what happened me. The battery locks (both sides) broken off after the drone crashed and the battery detached from the aircraft. While the battery still works and charging just fine, it won't stay locked to the airframe and a slight touch would pop the battery right out.

is there a way to buy only the small spring activated locks so we can replace it ourselves instead of buying a brand new battery?

2017-8-26
Use props
Jacksonlui.umc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 246909 ft
Taiwan

http://bbs.dji.com/thread-152456-1-1.html
2017-9-28
Use props
Jacksonlui.umc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 246909 ft
Taiwan

Dji already have improvement lock!
2017-9-28
Use props
gagu
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1215010 ft
Germany

I can agree that this is not the best idea with this little locks. See the attached picture.

About the support I wasn't satisfied. They closed the ticket and gave me a link for repair service...

DSC_6303_klein.jpg
2017-9-28
Use props
ernieken
lvl.4
Flight distance : 547641 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

Just checked mine as well (two batteries) and they still look brand new (after approximately 40 flights: after each flight I first charge the empty battery and then I switch the charged battery with my second battery so both batteries are used equally).
2017-9-28
Use props
fans3ecbc391
lvl.1
Flight distance : 732881 ft
United States

DJI products are tested for thousands of hours and proved that it was tough, and the design of the Spark is the most optimization one at the moment. I'll also forward your opinion to our engineers. Thanks for your kind feedback.

This is a real issue. It's all over the internet and even affected my drone. See this video: http://bit.ly/2DrQBui

DJI needs to address (and admit to) this design defect. People are coming up with their own design solutions: http://amzn.to/2r07pGq

DJI needs to lead the way here.
2018-1-12
Use props
Fenit2000
lvl.4
Flight distance : 100279 ft
United States

What bothers me (and I have already posted about 2 new batteries) is the inconsistency of the tab sizes. Clearly there is a difference for many Spark users when they compare their batteries. If this was a point and shoot camera fine, but it's not. Its flying high in the sky and potentially a danger to those below. Just my opinion....
2018-1-12
Use props
tvon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 43373 ft
United States

Theres a $7 battery lock you can get on Amazon. Worth it for piece of mind. It is a bad design by DJI, so you'll need the lock.
2018-1-12
Use props
ortispark
lvl.3
Flight distance : 265876 ft
Canada

good day, have two battery showing locking wear, wear that is   unnaccepable.  Damage due to normal usage, we need a solution from DJI before the drone are grounded due to unsafe flight situation.
2018-2-28
Use props
Rustic17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

The problem with the battery lock on Amazon is if you use it you can't also use the prop guards.
2018-2-28
Use props
Grmachine
lvl.4
United States

Do your tabs go to the top of the indented area. Like these?

I’ve seen some that were shorter and more rounded.
2018-2-28
Use props
Kyokushin
lvl.4
Poland

So i see its an real issue.
Anything was done for fix that?
2018-3-31
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Afaik the newer batteries have bigger locks, now. About 6 month or so, already
2018-3-31
Use props
m1n1s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319915 ft
United Kingdom

its a real problem but DJI have ignored the issue to save face.

the only real fix is fly using a 3d printed battery lock or buy one of the ones available online, eventually as the latch wears more and more battery drops will happen in sports mode.

DJI should issue the battery locks to all Spark user before a big accident happens ....................
2018-3-31
Use props
Malakai_UK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 536115 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sadly I think nothing more will be done about this issue. I have the first gen batteries with the smaller catch and I can foresee in the future they will eventually fail. When I asked DJI about offering to swap them they actually said to wait for them to fail before submitting a claim to them!
2018-3-31
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

I agree.  There's just not enough "hook" or latch and that pin on the body WILL start showing wear.  1-2 mm worn or chipped off will result in the battery dropping off.  I'm thinking of some sort of short velcro retention strap.  Not something to go around, but to keep it from pulling back.
2018-3-31
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI products are tested for thousands of hours and proved that it was tough, and the design of the Spark is the most optimization one at the moment. I'll also forward your opinion to our engineers. Thanks for your kind feedback.

Hey Thor...
I respect that DJI has tested this design, there are enough issues being reported ( other quad forums and on YouTube ) that show there IS a problem.  Suggest to your engineers that they do searches on the other various places where customers are documenting the problem.
2018-3-31
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

WebParrot Posted at 2018-3-31 14:53
Hey Thor...
I respect that DJI has tested this design, there are enough issues being reported ( other quad forums and on YouTube ) that show there IS a problem.  Suggest to your engineers that they do searches on the other various places where customers are documenting the problem.

Will do, and we will keep monitoring the users' feedback. Thank you for your attention.
2018-4-1
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-4-1 23:46
Will do, and we will keep monitoring the users' feedback. Thank you for your attention.

2018-4-2
Use props
JeyTea
lvl.4
Flight distance : 399984 ft
Germany

@DJI Thor
I have 4 Batteries with the smaller locks. Any chance of free replacement for these?
2018-4-3
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

JeyTea Posted at 2018-4-3 09:10
@DJI Thor
I have 4 Batteries with the smaller locks. Any chance of free replacement for these?

It is not a very big slot. Is there any issue when mounting the battery in the drone? If it is not loosened, no worries.
If there is a need, you can also provide me with some pictures for reference.
2018-4-4
Use props
JeyTea
lvl.4
Germany

@Dji Thor
No issue when mounting, but all 4 Batteries have the small lock mentioned in this Thread, these small Locks dont look very safe and dji uses bigger locks on Batteries produced after Summer 2017..i have read many Storys about fellout Batteries in midair and propably the smaller locks caused this Problems..that's why i am concerned, what can i do to get replacement If possible?
2018-4-4
Use props
m1n1s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319915 ft
United Kingdom

@DJI Thor

I have six batteries for replacement also (july 2017 manufactured)...................
2018-4-4
Use props
fans84bc58af
New

I lost a battery because of this battery lock sistem. It does not support flying in sportmode it simple release and you lost your drone and battery in flight. Luckly I could find my drone but can not say the same about battery
2018-4-5
Use props
nmac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 256 ft

Why not look as i have seen some videos i got screenshots of that had a gap between battery and spark and mine is not that way.  True they had no problems but the gap shocked me.  To me that's one way of telling something is not right, as i have a fine line between and the others has a gap.  so was it because of improper installation or something else ?
2018-4-5
Use props
JeyTea
lvl.4
Germany

@dji Thor
could you answer if replacement is possible or not?
2018-4-6
Use props
marlowe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 300932 ft
United States

Seems unlikely since DJI online store is still selling batteries with the smaller tabs.
2018-4-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules