Cant Lower Alt, sporadic Landing
2135 24 2017-8-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RCkable5
lvl.2
Flight distance : 427684 ft
United States

Anyone have this happen, if so what did you do to fix it?  This has happened a couple times in the past but, it seems to be happening more and more. My mavic while I am flying and trying to lower my altitude will just not respond to the stick being pulled down, not even if its to the bottom of the RC, it will actually start to rise slowly. Then I will hear "Landing" and he starts to come down wherever he is. I cant push the red "X" on the tablet to cancel it, But if I push up on the left stick it will cancel the landing, but then slowly starts to climb again. I end up having to hit the RTH button and when it gets there it will hover about 30' for about about a minute then VERY slowly come down. If I lift off everything works fine again for a little while.  When this happens, I can climb, go left/right, straight, forward just cant get it to come down. I have all the obsitcal avoidance on, just like when i took it out the box. The only settings I changed was Max Alt, Max Distance and some camera settings.
I hope I am doing this right but this is the flightlog on airdata http://app.airdata.com/main?share=ByHDuU

2017-8-11
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

Hi, yr flight records show that during yr flight yr mavic was quite often changing to GPS-Atti mode and also that Mode changed to Confirm landing.
Regarding Mode changed to confirm landing - it is not perhaps the case that instead of canceling the landing like you say/think u are doing, you are infact confirming the landing.
In the screen with the option to cancel landing there are 2 options 1. Cancel 2. OK - you must press 2. OK not 1 Cancel
The fact that the mavic is changing so freqently to GPS Atti - seems like an indication of some problem - although i cant say what.

Is yr drone compass and IMU properly/successfully calibrated?
2017-8-11
Use props
RCkable5
lvl.2
United States

Thanks for the reply.  I am not getting a screen that gives me an option to land confirm/cancel its going straight to landing,  there is the red X on the left side of screen that does nothing for me.  The Compass, and the IMU are correct.

IMU

IMU
fullsizeoutput_52.jpeg
2017-8-11
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Calibrate the vision sensor using Assi 2 and see if it makes a difference. What device are you using, OS, FW etc? Did you take off the stickers off the sensors?
2017-8-11
Use props
RCkable5
lvl.2
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-8-11 17:22
Calibrate the vision sensor using Assi 2 and see if it makes a difference. What device are you using, OS, FW etc? Did you take off the stickers off the sensors?

iPad mini 4 iOS 10.3.3,  Yeah the stickers were removed when I got it a month ago.
DJI Go4 4.1.5, Mavic .900, RC .900
I did log out of DJI app, uninstalled it, and reinstalled and singed back in, but wasn't able to fly this evening  due to rain.  I will try calibrating the vision sensor like you mention.  
I did try to calibrate the sticks but it keeps coming up saying it Failed because it timed out.
2017-8-11
Use props
ephektz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 94534 ft
United States

RCkable5 Posted at 2017-8-11 17:59
iPad mini 4 iOS 11,  Yeah the stickers were removed when I got it a month ago.
DJI Go4 4.1.5, Mavic .900, RC .900
I did log out of DJI app, uninstalled it, and reinstalled and singed back in, but wasn't able to fly this evening  due to rain.  I will try calibrating the vision sensor like you mention.  

I'm gonna go with then RC here. You cannot calibrate your RC gimbals, is this correct?
2017-8-11
Use props
RCkable5
lvl.2
United States

I edited my iOS version I'm using 10.3.3 on the iPad mini4
That is correct.  
I watched a couple videos on how to calibrate the RC sticks, and on the videos it shows the little blue circle moving around the square. When I try it the left stick goes blue there is a circle is at top middle, I move my stick to it then sometimes it moves, other times it doesn't. The Right stick never turns blue.
2017-8-11
Use props
ephektz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 94534 ft
United States

RCkable5 Posted at 2017-8-11 20:01
I edited my iOS version I'm using 10.3.3 on the iPad mini4
That is correct.  
I watched a couple videos on how to calibrate the RC sticks, and on the videos it shows the little blue circle moving around the square. When I try it the left stick goes blue there is a circle is at top middle, I move my stick to it then sometimes it moves, other times it doesn't. The Right stick never turns blue.

Can you try swapping cables, please, between the controller and the iPad?
2017-8-11
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

Can you tell me what is the max. altitude you have set and also the RTH height that is set.
Which mode is the RC set to? Hopefully not a custom mode?
At 4m27s you went from 0.9mt at the home point to 5m29s a height of 118.9mts and 166mt from the home point. Is that correct? Did you fly up and away or is this reading erroneous?
At 7m02s it came back down to 36.7mt and 40mts away from the home point so you were able to descend at the point if the previous data was correct.
At 7m50s it is down to 31.9m but it is now 426mts from the home point.
I would try relinking the RC to the aircraft and see if that fixes the problem.
If not, I would try a close flight with OA turned off and see if that helps.
If not then you really need to try and calibrate the RC.
2017-8-11
Use props
RCkable5
lvl.2
United States

Max alt is set to 120m (390ft-ish), RTH is 40m (130ft-ish)
In normal P-mode (not sport or beginner) No Flight mode (the ones you choose when you hit the controller icon in the app) I hope thats the info you were looking for.
Yes at 4m27s to 5m29s I climbed flew away from me reaching Max Alt, then I brought it down while flying back to me with controlled lowering of Alt. I then flew away from me to about 1400ft and at the 7m50s is when it started Landing on its own, and from there until it landed, I was pushing up on the left stick to cancel landing, when I do that is when it starts to climb itself.

I did the vision sensor calibration thru DJI assistant 2, and then I finally got the RC calibrated.

2017-8-11
Use props
RCkable5
lvl.2
United States

ephektz Posted at 2017-8-11 20:02
Can you try swapping cables, please, between the controller and the iPad?

I was able to get everything calibrated. next time I Fly (later today) I will try with a different cable. I have a few of them I can try.
2017-8-11
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

RCkable5 Posted at 2017-8-11 21:35
I was able to get everything calibrated. next time I Fly (later today) I will try with a different cable. I have a few of them I can try.

Regarding the Mode, is it set to Mode 1, Mode 2, Mode 3 or Mode 4. I am assuming Mode 2 but just wondering if you have set it up in a custom Mode.
This mode refers to what happens when each of the sticks are moved.
2017-8-11
Use props
RCkable5
lvl.2
United States

O geez, yeah Im sorry. Mode 2
2017-8-11
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

What happened when you clicked the "X" on the app? The app just had no reaction or it just cancelled but the drone had no reaction? I can not open the link you provided, please contact our support or send an email to our Support Team via support.eu@dji.com to report this case.
2017-8-12
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

RCkable5 Posted at 2017-8-11 21:35

Offhand this reminds me of cases where the downward sensor is obstructed or faulty, but it's hard to tell from the AirData information. Make sure there's no debris or attachment (tracker device or landing gear extensions) that could be interfering with the bottom sensors and upload the same flight log (TXT file) to PhantomHelp that you already uploaded to AirData. The instructions for uploading it to PhantomHelp are here and once you've uploaded it you should provide a link to it in this thread like you already did for AirData.
2017-8-13
Use props
RCkable5
lvl.2
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-12 23:04
What happened when you clicked the "X" on the app? The app just had no reaction or it just cancelled but the drone had no reaction? I can not open the link you provided, please contact our support or send an email to our Support Team via support.eu@dji.com to report this case.

There was no reaction it doesn't say cancel/cancelled the only option I have is to press up on the left stick.

Here is the TXT file for phantomhelp TXT file from flight

Here is the Flightlog from airdata again
2017-8-13
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

RCkable5 Posted at 2017-8-13 16:02
There was no reaction it doesn't say cancel/cancelled the only option I have is to press up on the left stick.

The log shows pretty much what I suspect: that even when you're flying high (at 100+ feet) the VPS sensor is incorrectly indicating that you're close to the ground. That's why it began landing when you pulled back on the throttle (left stick) at around 7:50 into the flight, for example.

This is the same probably discussed in this thread and you need to pursue it with DJI as a warranty issue. Good luck.
2017-8-13
Use props
RCkable5
lvl.2
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-8-13 16:18
The log shows pretty much what I suspect: that even when you're flying high (at 100+ feet) the VPS sensor is incorrectly indicating that you're close to the ground. That's why it began landing when you pulled back on the throttle (left stick) at around 7:50 into the flight, for example.

This is the same probably discussed in this thread and you need to pursue it with DJI as a warranty issue. Good luck.

Just out of curiosity, could calibrating the sensors correct the issue?  A couple nights ago I calibrated the sensors through DJI Assistant 2, and due to another thready I read, I also calibrated the RC sticks.  I haven't really been able to fly since then.  Yesterday I took it out and went straight up to 370' to video the clouds to attempt a time-lapse video. Didn't have a single issue during that.
2017-8-13
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

RCkable5 Posted at 2017-8-13 16:41
Just out of curiosity, could calibrating the sensors correct the issue?  A couple nights ago I calibrated the sensors through DJI Assistant 2, and due to another thready I read, I also calibrated the RC sticks.  I haven't really been able to fly since then.  Yesterday I took it out and went straight up to 370' to video the clouds to attempt a time-lapse video. Didn't have a single issue during that.

could calibrating the sensors correct the issue?

I'd guess it won't, but it certainly can't do any harm to try.
2017-8-13
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

RCkable5 Posted at 2017-8-13 16:41

I was reading your issue and was about to answer you to calibrate the vision sensors. Also check them and see if there's any trace of dirt or anything like that. When you are having this issue, did you notice the VPS altitude? I feel that your downward sensors were sensing the ground by mistake and therefore causing this issue.

You can also disable the sensors completely and do a test flight, if everything is normal then you know it's them.

If it's indeed the sensors and a calibration doesn't fix the problem, I'm afraid you'll have to send it to DJI.
2017-8-13
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

RCkable5 Posted at 2017-8-13 16:02

I suggest contacting DJI support team to start the data analysis since I am not able to view the link. Our professional data evaluation team will help to take care of your data. Thanks for the kind understanding.
2017-8-14
Use props
RCkable5
lvl.2
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-14 02:32
I suggest contacting DJI support team to start the data analysis since I am not able to view the link. Our professional data evaluation team will help to take care of your data. Thanks for the kind understanding.

I just sent my issue to this email address also attached the TXT link Airdata link and link to this post? support.eu@dji.com

2017-8-14
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

RCkable5 Posted at 2017-8-14 10:46
I just sent my issue to this email address also attached the TXT link Airdata link and link to this post? support.eu@dji.com

That's alright. They will reply you once they read your email.
2017-8-14
Use props
ScorpioAir
lvl.1
Philippines

Problem with staying place when hovering? My MP too- it keeps climbing slooowly even when I'm not touching the sticks. Since I bought an extra battery, I refreshed my firmware (.900) using DJI Assistant 2 with the new battery on. After that, my MP finally hovered properly. The spontaneous slow climb never occurred again. People tend to forget to refresh their firmware when using a new battery I guess. Hope this helps.
2017-8-17
Use props
RCkable5
lvl.2
United States

ScorpioAir Posted at 2017-8-17 18:31
Problem with staying place when hovering? My MP too- it keeps climbing slooowly even when I'm not touching the sticks. Since I bought an extra battery, I refreshed my firmware (.900) using DJI Assistant 2 with the new battery on. After that, my MP finally hovered properly. The spontaneous slow climb never occurred again. People tend to forget to refresh their firmware when using a new battery I guess. Hope this helps.

I actually didn't refresh the firmware, its really the only thing I haven't done.  But since calibrating the sensors I have flown it a couple times even going 1mile out I had no issues. I might do that just so that its been done as a pre-caution
2017-8-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules