Pending UK legislation
940 4 2017-8-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tony Ham
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi from a new Mavic owner - loving the flying!

Having recently watched a supposedly experienced Mavic pilot fly only two feet above the heads of a group of guests at an event I realise there are some idiots who get the more responsible flyers a bad name.  Therefore, in principal, I am a supporter of some kind of training and licencing which is on the cards for the UK.

However, having searched the internet I can only find commercial pilot courses for about £1,000 and taking four or five days minimum.  I am recently retired and have no desire to become a commercial flyer.  What I would like to see is a shorter less expensive course, say a full day at less than £200, but which is recognised by the CAA as competence to fly a drone as a safe, responsible recreational flyer.

My main interest is photography and I would like to think that DJI will be consulted by the government and that they might use the opportunity to put forward a scheme for recreational flyers.

Finally does anyone have details of UK specific forums where further information will become available and where we can make this type of  representation.

[url=]Favorite[/url]
[url=]Like[/url]

2017-8-13
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

I agree, there needs to be some type of licensing in place... this will probably be within the next couple of years. As far as I'm aware none of the courses are 'official', they are rather just seen as training so when the laws change you will also need to apply for licence and have additional training
2017-8-13
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

I agree with licensing and basic mandatory training.  I wish it wasn't needed but time and time again we see people violating common sense and legal regulations so its inevitable.  The best we can hope for is with some form of *sensibly priced* licensing some of the more draconian regulations and bans are avoided (combined with far stricter penalties for offenders).

There is no real governing body in the UK.  The only real body dealing with it are the British Model Fliers Association but they are generally extremely anti drone so im not sure they'll be any use at all. (http://www.bmfa.org)

2017-8-13
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

while i agree needs to be some form of a "filter" such as a licensing course or something even if its free..   

but i look at it like cars on the road... think about how many potential people dont have a license and still drive, think about possible people who aced the testing and got license but then go out and do stupid stuff causing problems right away or moment they get comfortable..  think about all the possible people doing this, realize you can't really tell at a glance of a crowd, who is or isn't licensed, who is or isn't fit to drive until they do something stupid, and even then hard to truly tell..

it may slow the amount of careless flier, but wit will hardly stop it... it may only increase stupidity since people sometimes feel like since the passed got certificates that they are the greatest thing since time and space itself...
2017-8-13
Use props
Tony Ham
lvl.1
United Kingdom

gnirtS Posted at 2017-8-13 13:46
I agree with licensing and basic mandatory training.  I wish it wasn't needed but time and time again we see people violating common sense and legal regulations so its inevitable.  The best we can hope for is with some form of *sensibly priced* licensing some of the more draconian regulations and bans are avoided (combined with far stricter penalties for offenders).

There is no real governing body in the UK.  The only real body dealing with it are the British Model Fliers Association but they are generally extremely anti drone so im not sure they'll be any use at all. (http://www.bmfa.org)

OK - so maybe it's time we got as many flyers as possible to lobby DJI to support their customer base.  After all it will be their sales that suffer without sensible representation.
I will start by hitting them with some questions and will post their responses.
2017-8-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules