Fell out of sky first flight
2038 26 2017-8-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
video.jdinges
New
Flight distance : 709 ft
United States

New spark just arrived 1st flight it dropped like a brick onto my patio and broke an arm off.
Was flying with the remote and I updated the firmware for both the spark and remote before flying.  Battery was nearly full.

I'm so dissapointed this was going to be used professionally like I had been using other DJI products.  It gave no warnings or anything, just decided to shut off and fall down.

It wasn't even moving, it was just hovering in the air above me.  

What are the chances of getting a replacement?  I was hoping to use this professionally.
2017-8-17
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I‘m sorry to hear the accident.Have you contacted our Support Team via support.us@dji.com to report the issue? If yes, please PM me your case number and export the flight data as this video, we'd look into it.
2017-8-17
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

We are so sorry to hear about your case. Please contact our support and they will help to start the data analysis and send the drone back. Here's the link to contact us: http://www.dji.com/support.
Please provide me with your ticket number and your case number after contacting our support. We will try our best to help this out. Thank you.
2017-8-17
Use props
ToyCarCollector
lvl.2
Flight distance : 202126 ft
United States

I've sent mine in for a cracked arm and they tell me they "fixed" it.  After watching the tear down video on You Tube I cannot imagine it would be cost effective to replace the airframe.  Plus some electronics that failed and caused the accident.
2017-8-17
Use props
video.jdinges
New
United States

The battery was damaged, and the button is stuck.  Should I use the spare battery for the data upload?  
2017-8-17
Use props
video.jdinges
New
United States

I've already left a 1 star review on B&H where I bought it and I plan on uploading several dozen youtube videos and spreading the word about this flawed product until I get an replacement or refund.  I honestly would prefer a refund because I don't want to support a business that isn't honest.
I've read through over 100 posts on the subject and saw nothing but generic responses from DJI.  Many of the people said that DJI didn't offer them a respectible solution.  

I have 2 years experience flying the Phantom and never had one drop like a rock out of the sky at 80% batter, and neither have the hundreds (maybe thousands) of others complaining.
2017-8-17
Use props
Mudgelator
New

Australia

My spark repratedly falls out of the sky pushing it with aerobatics, accelerate stop and rotate on axis. Good thing only learned meter off the ground! DJI please fix this!!
2017-8-17
Use props
Phuong Do
lvl.4
Flight distance : 29800 ft
Vietnam

Mudgelator Posted at 2017-8-17 23:31
My spark repratedly falls out of the sky pushing it with aerobatics, accelerate stop and rotate on axis. Good thing only learned meter off the ground! DJI please fix this!!

Hi, can you please put some videos to show, I am curious to see how it falls.
Thanks.
2017-8-17
Use props
fans5d9349b7
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Here's mine turning itself off and falling out the sky. https://youtu.be/Fe95m_Jqt70
2017-8-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

fans5d9349b7 Posted at 2017-8-18 00:37
Here's mine turning itself off and falling out the sky. https://youtu.be/Fe95m_Jqt70

No results for that link...
2017-8-18
Use props
LRAB
lvl.2
Flight distance : 197559 ft
South Africa

AHHHHH I WISH I BOUGHT SOMETHING ELSE.... DRONES FALLING EVERYWHERE, i know someone writing up an article on this at least, hopefully itll put some pressure on dji to do something
2017-8-18
Use props
NukeSpark
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11033 ft
Gibraltar

I've always built my quads from scratch, never owned a DJI product for the simple reason that i've heard so many bad stories on fly aways.....

I purchase the spark as i thought to myself So many years in the game you'd think they would solve the problem by now.

Fingers crossed for now, only had two flights and it seems to be flying with o glitches
2017-8-18
Use props
HomePoint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

video.jdinges Posted at 2017-8-17 23:22
I've already left a 1 star review on B&H where I bought it and I plan on uploading several dozen youtube videos and spreading the word about this flawed product until I get an replacement or refund.  I honestly would prefer a refund because I don't want to support a business that isn't honest.
I've read through over 100 posts on the subject and saw nothing but generic responses from DJI.  Many of the people said that DJI didn't offer them a respectible solution.  

Wow that escalated very fast into one of these posts.
2017-8-18
Use props
Thor1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 196837 ft
Canada

It could be because you did not fully charge the battery before the first flight. this is a requirement with the spark.
2017-8-18
Use props
HomePoint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ouch, that was nasty, I am sorry for you pain, hope you can sort this out with DJI as I am sure they will see what happened with the data you send them.
2017-8-18
Use props
video.jdinges
New
United States

Electronics shutting off at nearly full charge isn't something that happens on consumer electronics.  I've seen dozens of crash videos on youtube of Phantoms and nearly all of them stay on even after the crash.

Thank God I didn't have any friends or neighbors nearby.  This could have hurt someone really badly.  

There is absolutely ZERO way for this to be a pilot-faulted issue IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCE.  Even if the battery hadn't been charged before take off than it still would have landed automatically, not just dropped from 50 feet in the sky, so that was a dumb comment above.  
2017-8-18
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Your video demonstrates a pretty terrible experience.  Wouldn't mind seeing the logs.

You were obviously able to retrieve the spark.  Do you recall if the led lights were still on and functioning when you got to the spark?  If the battery was knocked out, that wouldn't be the case.  But if the battery was attached, that would provide a clue.
2017-8-18
Use props
fansf2304bca
lvl.3
Flight distance : 952664 ft
Chile

I read this from someone else on other post and it makes sense to me: "I believe the Spark shutdowns are battery based. It wouldn't make sense for the Spark itself to be able to turn off the battery. There would be no code in the software to do this as it serves no purpose. The battery should only turn off via the button press or it's own "intelligence". When my Spark shut down in mid air, the battery turned itself off - wether it's a thermal problem or a problem in its own firmware."
2017-8-18
Use props
fansf2304bca
lvl.3
Flight distance : 952664 ft
Chile

There is a recent video from DJI support YouTube channel explaining how to correctly plug the battery. They somehow suggest that battery could be plugged in a way is not 100% attached to the drone. I'm thinking that this could be a theory explaining this accidents. What do you guys think?
2017-8-18
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

The video of the gentleman performing a palm launch (where the spark just flops to the ground) shows that the led lights were functioning after the fall (an indication that the battery was still providing power).  If the battery shuts down in mid-flight, yep that will cause a crash.  But I've seen some video evidence which indicates that some drops may not be battery-off related.
2017-8-18
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

video.jdinges Posted at 2017-8-17 23:22

I know you are frustrated (particularly with it being the very first flight), but DJI has usually been very responsive to customer issues when the craft is retrievable (like yours).

Give them a chance to address your case.  If you remain unsatisfied, then you always have the option of publicly blasting them on youtube and other social media.
2017-8-18
Use props
Chema_po
lvl.1
Flight distance : 92 ft
Spain

my spark had only 15-20 mins of use and went away ... no log no warranty says DJI support. We aware!

https://forum.dji.com/thread-109437-1-1.html
2017-8-18
Use props
TMUSVI
lvl.3
Flight distance : 228891 ft
U.S. Virgin Islands

did you do an imu and compass calibration before take off
2017-8-18
Use props
fans5d9349b7
lvl.2
United Kingdom

fansf2304bca Posted at 2017-8-18 07:00
I read this from someone else on other post and it makes sense to me: "I believe the Spark shutdowns are battery based. It wouldn't make sense for the Spark itself to be able to turn off the battery. There would be no code in the software to do this as it serves no purpose. The battery should only turn off via the button press or it's own "intelligence". When my Spark shut down in mid air, the battery turned itself off - wether it's a thermal problem or a problem in its own firmware."

Totally agree with this statement.
2017-8-18
Use props
Cervelofan
lvl.1
United States

Mine was just like this one!
2017-8-18
Use props
Kyokushin
Second Officer
Flight distance : 296381 ft
Poland

Imo something is rebooting a spark in midair. If it fell gentlh then battery will be still turned on, and i think its a faulty hardware. Something related to the heat and conduction.
It may be low quality tin ot cold solder.
2017-8-18
Use props
Kyokushin
Second Officer
Flight distance : 296381 ft
Poland

Please write a production date of your spark here :http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... mobile=2&page=1
2017-8-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules