Cannot update home point?
2815 8 2017-8-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PhotoJoseph
lvl.2
Flight distance : 56729 ft
Sweden

A while ago I was flying while walking, and eventually hit my maximum distance from the home point (initial takeoff point). Since I was walking next to it, I was actually quite close to the aircraft. Looking at the settings, there's a "home point setting" that allows you to set it based off your phone's location (which I assume would let you reset it during flight). But no matter what (and I've tried this countless times, in flight and not in flight), I get an error "Cannot get the current position of your mobile device". Needless to say, if I go to Maps, the phone knows exactly where it is.
Any ideas why, or am I misunderstanding this feature? If I am, then how can I update that location so I can continue to fly, as long as I'm in range of the Spark, even if we both (the Spark and me with the remote) have moved from the original takeoff point?

I'm using an iPhone 7 Plus withOUT a physical remote.

2017-8-17
Use props
Dirk52
Second Officer
Flight distance : 232995 ft
  • >>>
Germany

You understand this right. This button should exactly do what you want to do. Set the HP at the device's position.
I know that the Mavic and some other Dji drones have problems with the "Follow Me" mode which is based on the device's gps position when using an iPhone 7 (plus).
I could imagine that the Spark has the same problem to get the GPS data from the phone like the other drones.

Hopefully Dji will fix this soon..
Just Google "iphone 7 follow me mode"

2017-8-17
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Is the APP available to access your current location? I would recommend you to update the home point  when the GPS signal is good enough as it requires high satellite precision of IOS devices.
2017-8-17
Use props
killers.jayanth
lvl.2
Flight distance : 33419 ft
India

Home Point Couldn't Update if your GPS is Weak, So better to Fly when you have a Good GPS with Min 16 Satellites Connected
2017-8-25
Use props
PhotoJoseph
lvl.2
United States

I finally tried this with another device (an iPad mini) and it updated. So it must be the iPhone 7 Plus as others have reported. And incidentally I have a NEW iPhone since I first posted this as my original one had, ironically, developed a severe issue with GPS! And I thought maybe the new phone would fix that but alas, no. So it must be something unique to the 7.

However… it updated the home point form the iPad mini. But, it didn't have the right location. In fact, it said that the new location was 10,000 meters away from the Spark!! So, um, yeah, that isn't really any better. Anyone seen that happen?

-Joseph
2017-9-8
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Does your ipad mini have cellular or is it just wireless ?

Apple doesn't include GPS in wireless ipad's, I believe the gps function is attached to the cellular module.

So if you have a wireless mini, the home point might be somewhere where you last connected to wi-fi and it took a location reading.
2017-9-8
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

lannes Posted at 2017-9-8 11:08
Does your ipad mini have cellular or is it just wireless

Good point, if the iPad doesn't have cellular it can't capture GPS which means your HP is always were it took off.
2017-9-8
Use props
LouisP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

PhotoJoseph Posted at 2017-9-8 10:34
I finally tried this with another device (an iPad mini) and it updated. So it must be the iPhone 7 Plus as others have reported. And incidentally I have a NEW iPhone since I first posted this as my original one had, ironically, developed a severe issue with GPS! And I thought maybe the new phone would fix that but alas, no. So it must be something unique to the 7.

However… it updated the home point form the iPad mini. But, it didn't have the right location. In fact, it said that the new location was 10,000 meters away from the Spark!! So, um, yeah, that isn't really any better. Anyone seen that happen?

Check the settings on the phone and make sure that the DJI go app has access to your location services.
It should have asked for permission to access  your location the first time you ran the app, you may have told it 'no' out of habit.   Settings->Privacy->Location Services-> DJI GO = "while using"
2017-9-8
Use props
PhotoJoseph
lvl.2
United States

Thanks for the thoughts guys. My iPad mini does in fact have cellular, and does have access to location services. Hmmmm.
2017-9-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules