3044 24 2017-8-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dale 68
Second Officer
Flight distance : 338468 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Metal Reinforcement Plate For DJI Phantom, are these worth putting on? and do they affect the flight in any way? or is it a case of " If it ain't broke don't fix it ". Thanks
2017-8-18
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

I would put them on before the aircraft does get broke. I did as soon as I got mine and it gives me great re assurance.
2017-8-18
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Please provide more detail?  
Where do you get it/them and who makes them?  How much do they weigh?  How are they applied or installed?  Where on the drone are they placed?
Thank you
2017-8-18
Use props
Dale 68
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-8-18 05:01
Please provide more detail?  
Where do you get it/them and who makes them?  How much do they weigh?  How are they applied or installed?  Where on the drone are they placed?
Thank you

This sort of thing http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-CNC ... 47675.c100011.m1850
  and one of many videos on the subject   
2017-8-18
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Gonna be tough to get them out with that Loctite, if you ever need to.
2017-8-18
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

They are very light aluminium, they shouldn't affect the flight characteristics at all.  They exist because some people experience cracks spider-webbing out from the motor mount screws.  These are meant to reinforce this area against strain that causes these cracks to start.  I don't know if they work or not.  Personally I don't think this area gets an abnormal amount of strain, and the cracks are due to bad plastic moulding (discussed elsewhere on the forum).  The cracks should show up reasonably early in its life, and should be addressed by doing a warranty return so the shells can be replaced, or a replacement aircraft sent.

Personally I use prop guards from time to time.  I have the two original inner screws holding in the motor in place, and the guards are held on by finger-tight thumbscrews in the outer holes.  Most of the load goes through the first screws and I've never experienced any problems or cracking.
2017-8-18
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Dale 68 Posted at 2017-8-18 05:17
This sort of thing http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-CNC ... 47675.c100011.m1850
  and one of many videos on the subject   https://youtu.be/WTC_oVCAAn8

Thank you
So, these are just for the P3?
2017-8-18
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

They also manufacture some 3-D printed ones. both are extremely light and should in no way effect flight. I personally use the 3-D ones and have for some time. I experienced the cracks pretty early on with my 3PA, and even got them after a shell replacement. I think they are good insurance if you will, and will for sure help with any cracking around those motors. I would be cautious with the Loctite though. Especially the "Red". It is high strength, maybe the "blue" or equivialnt...it is more light duty and your screws can be removed with less effort. I have even used just a dab of silicone on the threads which seems to work well. Some don't use anything. Anyway, go for it in my opinion.
2017-8-18
Use props
Dale 68
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-8-18 05:25

There's a few people on you tube that recommend not using Loctite
2017-8-18
Use props
Dale 68
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-8-18 05:55
Thank you
So, these are just for the P3?

Not sure I only did a search for P3
2017-8-18
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I would not recommend you to mount the metal plate as it may void the warranty.
2017-8-18
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
United Kingdom

There are few matters to take in mind when fitting them :

1. Make sure you get the ones with the long screws and tubes to fit the inner screws ... its not only the 4 motor screws to replace.

2. Do not use RED Loctite ... use BLUE Loctite - same as DJI use ... then you have screws that can be removed later.

3. KEEP the old screws - the plates come with longer screws and cannot be used without - they go too far in and would damage motor windings without the plates.

It is good idea to fit BEFORE cracks appear. If you have ever had a shell opened up - you will see that the drone arms are extremely flexible - it is only when the two halves are put together that it stiffens up. But having all the motor weight, thrust and stress acting at the arm ends creates the problem that leads to cracks. That is why you should always install the two long thin screws with tubes to try and brace the outer arm ....

Nigel
2017-8-19
Use props
Dale 68
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-8-18 20:29
I would not recommend you to mount the metal plate as it may void the warranty.

I purchased second hand so no warranty, and It's hard to find a DJI retailer in the UK to send for repair anyway, because I've asked about my battery issues as I was told to send it to the Netherlands!!
2017-8-19
Use props
Dale 68
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

solentlife Posted at 2017-8-19 01:16
There are few matters to take in mind when fitting them :

1. Make sure you get the ones with the long screws and tubes to fit the inner screws ... its not only the 4 motor screws to replace.

Thanks for the info
2017-8-19
Use props
dewein
Second Officer
Flight distance : 157746 ft
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-8-18 05:25

Loctite® makes 2 thread lockers for consumers.  The RED one (#271®) is more permanent and requires heat and a hand tool to remove.  The BLUE one (#242®) does not require heat, just a hand tool.
2017-8-20
Use props
fans8aa0997d
lvl.2
Flight distance : 91814 ft
United States

Before it's too late......take my advice and do not use any Loctite. I thought all was good until well, it wasn't. The Loctite ate through the plastic. So the new shell I had just received from Amazon was shot. A tiny amount of clear nail polish is recommended. Loctite is a great product, but not for this application.
2017-8-20
Use props
Mxh666
lvl.2
Flight distance : 46371 ft
Australia

I ordered these a few weeks ago. But have not put them on yet.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CNC-R ... 2060353.m2749.l2649

2017-8-20
Use props
repairman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16581 ft
United States

i use the quick disconnect prop guards on my new p3p,they have a plate mouted ,plastic,on bottom of motors that the guards mount in,maybe this will keep down the cracks.you could get some aluninum and make your own.but be sure of correct screw length,also use blue locktite on metal to metal
2017-8-20
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

You should use a thin smear or small drop of threadlocker on the screw threads, if yours don't come with some on the threads already.  There is vibration that will cause them to fall out in time, and that will be when it is in the air.  There are many different formulations and you will need to do some research.  There are permanent, removable and assorted properties depending on the number (formulation) you use.  Typically red is permanent and blue is removable, which is what you want (pretty much any prop guard manufacturer has blue threadlocker on the screws they provide) as do DJI with the motor screws.  Some react to plastics, so there is a specific formulation for that.  You need to research into what best suits your needs, start here: http://na.henkel-adhesives.com/i ... adlocker-14075.htm.
2017-8-20
Use props
fans8aa0997d
lvl.2
Flight distance : 91814 ft
United States

endotherm Posted at 2017-8-20 20:44
You should use a thin smear of threadlocker on the screws, if yours don't come with some on the threads already.  There is vibration that will cause them to fall out in time, and that will be when it is in the air.  There are many different formulations and you will need to do some research.  There are permanent, removable and assorted properties depending on the number (formulation) you use.  Typically red is permanent and blue is removable, which is what you want (pretty much any prop guard manufacturer has blue threadlocker on the screws they provide).  Some react to plastics, so there is a specific formulation for that.  You need to research into what best suits your needs, start here: http://na.henkel-adhesives.com/i ... adlocker-14075.htm.

Please take note that Loctite Threadlocker Blue 242 will not work.  It eats the plastic.
2017-8-21
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

fans8aa0997d Posted at 2017-8-21 10:15
Please take note that Loctite Threadlocker Blue 242 will not work.  It eats the plastic.

You are not supposed to put it on the plastic!
Only on the threads of the screws/bolts. You are correct though, if it is applied or you spill it on the shell, it will not be good! The screws thread into the motor which is metal, and if done properly it will work fine, but you have to be careful.
2017-8-21
Use props
repairman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16581 ft
United States

fans8aa0997d Posted at 2017-8-21 10:15

not metal to metal.motor screws are metal,they screw into metal.a little goes a long way.
2017-8-30
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

My understanding is it's the curing that you need to beware of.  In other words, if you put the blue loctite on metal screws which screw into metal, the fumes from the curing will still damage the plastic near the screws.  So if you're going to use loctite, you should apply it to the screw, then wait, let it cure completely, and then install the screw.  
2017-8-30
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Just go buy plastic safe variety ...... or use solvent free contact glue.

Nigel
2017-8-30
Use props
Dale 68
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I've gone and ordered some anyway, from China to the UK takes awhile so I have plenty of time to think about, when fixing them, thanks for the comments
2017-8-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules