P3A pre-newbie trying to learn the very basics
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nopedafu
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6312 ft

United States

Hi,

I've had a few much lesser drones and learned some basic things but next week I should be getting my first Phantom 3 Advanced. It's manufacturer refurbished so hopefully in great condition. I read somewhere that it has some sort of visual positioning as well as GPS and that it's a good idea to turn off the visual when flying outside because that's more for flying indoors and can give conflicting information with the GPS. Can anyone confirm that and explain how to turn off the visual?

Does the controller have a rechargeable battery? I've never used anything that needs a phone with the correct app to fly it and don't know how to get the app or how to link it to the drone. Can anyone recommend some threads or tutorials they feel do a good job explaining such basic things from the ground up?

Thank you for any help or suggestions trying to learn about this!
David
GA, USA

2017-8-20
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Get on YouTube. Tons of videos about the Phantom. Read your manual completely at least 2-3 times. Good luck
2017-8-20
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Download the manuals, go through them and if you have questions answers will be on YT or in various forums (e.g. phantompilots.com)
It's time consuming but I found it fun and very helpful:
http://www.dji.com/phantom-3-adv/info#downloads
2017-8-20
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

As suggested, read the manual, at least twice.  Pay very close attention to the Return to Home features.  That is probably the single most critical cause of crashes, lost drones, unexpected actions and confusion.  Can't stress that enough.  Pay attention to the Return to Home features.  Also, you do not need the  app or a phone to fly the drone.  It is important to know this, because if you lose connection to the drone on your phone you still have control of the drone through the controller.  So don't panic.  You do need the app and a device with an internet connection to first activate the drone however.  The phone, or tablet, or whatever device you use is mainly for the fpv view.And some of the special features need the app to work.  But, with the advanced you have control of all camera functions and all flight controls through the remote all by itself.  I predict you will enjoy your Advanced very much.  Have fun.  Oh, btw,  you get the app through the Play store.   Also, why do you have that girl bound and gagged on your avatar?  Those tactics will not work on your drone.
2017-8-20
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Pretty racy avatar pic bud!
Depending if your device is iOS or that other type. Go to Google Play where you download the right app. If iOS go to the App Store and search for DJI Go.

I advise you RTFM several times, then get on the onboard flight SIM for a couple of good hours...

When you do go for that first take off and short flight, do it in an area that is wide open, with no trees, power poles or other electrical or nuisance obstacles of flying interference around you.

Be sure to calibrate the drones compass before first flight.

RedHotPoker
2017-8-20
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
United States

As others have also stated, your Avatar has much to desire. Can't force anyone to do anything, but only suggest...it just sends the wrong message in my opinion. You may think it is funny or somehow entertaining, but I for one don't. I just think it is in poor taste. Nothing wrong with looking at a pretty woman, but being bound and gagged is totally wrong.
Most of us use something that stands for what we believe in or like. Somehow symbolizing are feelings. If this is some sort of reflection of how you treat people, I doubt you will get much help here.
I hope you have fun with your Phantom, it is a great sport. There are a lot of good people here and a lot of informaton that is very helpful. But these machines are just like people. Treat them also with respect or you will surely end up with a busted aircraft. These things will not take a lot of abuse either.
2017-8-20
Use props
nopedafu
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6312 ft

United States

Thank you people for your help!!! I've already got a question. I downloaded the DJI GO App to my phone and fought through the registration stuff finally getting it to open, but then it doesn't show a Phantom 3 it shows an Inspire and has options for Inspire 1 Raw or Inspire 1. So did I download the wrong app or will it figure out what drone is around when I finally get it and plug the phone into the controller and whatever else?
2017-8-20
Use props
Fly Dawg
lvl.2
United States

@ Kneepuck  If I could elaborate on this statement slightly :   "Also, you do not need the  app or a phone to fly the drone.  It is important to know this, because if you lose connection to the drone on your phone you still have control of the drone through the controller

This is only partially true. Should you lose video feed ( You only specified "connection") this would usually occur at a great distance, possibly BVLOS. In that
instance, one should first glance at the controller to verify signal, if that is there the you still have control, however, you will be flying blind because you would
also lose telemetry since they are both transmitted on the same frequency band. When you use the word "connection" that inherently means loss of aircraft
control signal. They are basically the same. Although, granted, you will normally lose "video feed" before total RC connection.
2017-8-20
Use props
repairman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16581 ft
United States

yes the rc does recharge,youtube has alot of helpful videos. read manual also dji tutorials.good flying.
2017-8-20
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

nopedafu Posted at 2017-8-20 13:17
Thank you people for your help!!! I've already got a question. I downloaded the DJI GO App to my phone and fought through the registration stuff finally getting it to open, but then it doesn't show a Phantom 3 it shows an Inspire and has options for Inspire 1 Raw or Inspire 1. So did I download the wrong app or will it figure out what drone is around when I finally get it and plug the phone into the controller and whatever else?

Yup, the app will figure out what aircraft you have when you get it.
2017-8-20
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
United States

You might need to link your aircraft and RC. The app will show the right Phantom when you get it communicating correctly. Follow the instructions on re-linking, it is not hard. Look at the lights on your phantom too, the aircraft tells you what is going on with the LEDs. Lights should be flashing green on the back of the aircraft if you have a connection between RC and phantom. Also the RC light should be green. If either are red or aircraft is flashing yellow, you are not connected. There is a lot to learn but you will get it. These are complicated machines, but not difficult, just quite a few thing to get used to. Take you time and you will be fine.

Thanks for changing your Avatar. Enough said.
2017-8-20
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

As RichardoGray mentioned, I would recommend you to check the backward LEDs status first. Restart the aircraft and controller, plug out and in the USB cable might be helpful. A journey of one thousand miles begins with one step. The user manual will help you figure out most questions.
2017-8-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules