5100 58 2017-8-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm opening up this thread to give my feedback on the performance of the spark after today's (8/21) update.  I updated everything.  Everyting I describe below is post updates.

Palm launch:  For the first time ever, I experienced the "palm launch flop".  Just like that video where you see the guy launch from his palm and it falls flat to the earth.  Please note that this is an observation, a report.  Not a complaint.  I PROBABLY had my remote and phone on at the time (interesting story) and I MAY have logs of the incident.  I'm letting DJI and the community know in the event that there's anything I can do RIGHT NOW to help identify the cause.

Circumstances were as follows:  During the second half of the eclipse, a father and twins were nearby and I started to fly my spark.  The kids expressed an interest, and I let them fly (under my close guidance and supervision of course).  After I gave each of them a short turn using the phone and controller to fly, I decided to show off the palm capabilities.  This is the first palm launch after update.  I did NOT turn the drone off after the kids prior flights.  The drone and battery were warm, but not oppressively hot.  I think there was about 50ish % battery left (I was above 30% battery).  I held it in front, and pressed the button twice.  It flashed as I expected, and the camera moved as expected for facial recognition.  It launched as expected (there was a rise from my hand, I was NOT gripping it).  In less than one second it fell to the ground (soft earth and grass).  It was STILL under power.  LED lights were still flashing.

In subsequent tries at palm launching, it performed as expected (no "palm launch flops" after the first).  I tried experimenting with flying first and then palm launching, turning it off and back on and palm launching, but I could not get it to fail again.

When it was working, the kids loved the gesture controls.  I still had issues with selfie, and the boy had issues with the selfie, but the girl was able to selfie, fly away and becon pretty consistently.  I suspect the color of our clothing has a lot to do with the performance of the gesture controls.

While flying in gesture control, I made an effort to keep the remote and phone connected "just in case".  I never had to resort to using the remote though.

Of note, I wasn't flying with OTG.  I decided I wanted to test wifi, so all flights after updates were either palm control flights or flights with wifi.  Wifi behaved well (I noted no drops).  The Dronie Quickshot performed as exepcted (preceding update I was not getting any elevation).

So conclusion:  I had my first "palm launch flop" AFTER the latest updates.
2017-8-21
Use props
Matioupi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 922569 ft
France

On my side I have an unflyable battery (1 out of 4) since the updates.
Message tells it's due to large cell voltage difference. Battery is new. It has been charged only 11 times. I opened a support case to get it exchanged (emptying and recharging it again did not worked)
2017-8-21
Use props
fans686bc0ac
New
United States

As per this update, the OTG cable is dead.

I spoke to two customer service reps who both stated that it was disabled due to "glitches" and that "Wi-Fi is more reliable."

{:4_142:}{:4_142:}{:4_142:}{:4_142:}
2017-8-21
Use props
Surface2Air
Second Officer
Flight distance : 167441 ft
Canada

I've updated all the firmwares, AC, RC & batteries - though the iOS app hasn't received its update yet, at least not for me. I'm going to hold off on flying till I receive that last piece.. maybe that is contributing to your 'flop' problem.. if you are also still missing the App update. Fwiw.
2017-8-21
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Surface2Air Posted at 2017-8-21 12:14
I've updated all the firmwares, AC, RC & batteries - though the iOS app hasn't received its update yet, at least not for me. I'm going to hold off on flying till I receive that last piece.. maybe that is contributing to your 'flop' problem.. if you are also still missing the App update. Fwiw.

Could be, but since the launch gesture should not require the app (just a palm), I didn't consider it to be in the mix of causes.
2017-8-21
Use props
ciesnik
lvl.2
Flight distance : 238750 ft
Germany

fans686bc0ac Posted at 2017-8-21 12:13

I spoke to two customer service reps who both stated that it was disabled due to "glitches" and that "Wi-Fi is more reliable."

Not true, OTG works without problems after update as before here.
2017-8-21
Use props
Convert
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6129 ft
United Kingdom

ciesnik Posted at 2017-8-21 12:19
Not true, OTG works without problems after update as before here.

and here too.
2017-8-21
Use props
realstreetuk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7966 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

and here as well
2017-8-21
Use props
Surface2Air
Second Officer
Flight distance : 167441 ft
Canada

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-8-21 12:14
Could be, but since the launch gesture should not require the app (just a palm), I didn't consider it to be in the mix of causes.

Good point-
2017-8-21
Use props
lafoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1402680 ft
Portugal

Yes, OTG works ok!...
2017-8-21
Use props
fans01d21e35
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I've updated, and had two flights OTG , it's absolutely fine. I'm using the OTG cable from my phantom 4 plugged into a short iPhone lightening cable.
Start up the RC,  then spark , once green light is on RC , plug OTG into RC.
Works every time before and still does now.
2017-8-21
Use props
dezign999
lvl.2
Flight distance : 27297 ft
United States

Palm launch worked fine, but beckoning the Spark back just had it drop it's altitude a few inches from the ground and stay there. I had to let it run out of batteries in order for it to land, thankfully it was in a safe place.
2017-8-21
Use props
HomePoint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I think OTG has to work, as isn't that how the goggles connect?
2017-8-21
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Why is DJI giving us a date to update or the spark won't be able to take off?
2017-8-21
Use props
jksphoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 114121 ft
United Kingdom

Updated and flew my Spark this evening with the OTG cable connected. No issues.
2017-8-21
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Sorry to hear about this case. Had you noticed the LED indicators at that time, were they solid green? Since you had flown a few times later after the palm launch flop, I am not sure that the flight data had been overwritten. So please check whether the flight data of that case still reserve on the drone. If data still remains, please export it out and upload it to Dropbox, we will help to make a data analysis.
For the selfie, the drone mainly recognizes the movements of the arms, please refer to the picture below, make sure that the gesture is correct. 手势控制.png
2017-8-21
Use props
STBi01
lvl.1
Flight distance : 33573 ft
Sweden

Min works fine after the update
2017-8-21
Use props
Phuong Do
lvl.4
Flight distance : 29800 ft
Vietnam

For those who think OTG is disabled: I just had the same issue. I think it is a glitch, somehow when connect OTG, it does not show "Go fly". What I did was re-install the app. Restart the phone and the OTG works again.
2017-8-21
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Phuong Do Posted at 2017-8-21 23:01
For those who think OTG is disabled: I just had the same issue. I think it is a glitch, somehow when connect OTG, it does not show "Go fly". What I did was re-install the app. Restart the phone and the OTG works again.

OTG works fine with the cables, I have an OTG adapter from 'acxeon' this doesn't work anymore. Not that it matters as I find the WiFi link to the RC works fine for me, 600M out no problem at all in open countryside here in the UK.
2017-8-22
Use props
WilfredFireStee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 182215 ft
Argentina

Really happy there was an update but after a quick 2 battery flight test I'm still sadly getting video latency, if not more frequently. Also found that camera buttons were less responsive and had to press the on screen buttons after pressing video or camera buttons multiple times with no joy. Finally the stability when hovering at 2m ish was wobbly and moved more than previously in little to no wind. I made a video to show. I really didn't want to be moaning and again I'm happy the updates are here but im sure im not the only one facing these same issues but will do some further testing tomorrow...
2017-8-22
Use props
TyronP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 70259 ft
United States

There's a weird issue with the OTG. To make it work you have to have the RC turned on and fully connected to the spark. Then connect the phone to the RC.
2017-8-22
Use props
Martin Lines
lvl.4
Flight distance : 19147 ft
United Kingdom

1. Camera buttons on Controller slow to respond, had to press buttons on Phone screen instead
2. Seems to lose quite a bit of height in low level (2 - 3 metres in height) forward and backward moves. Noticed a small drop the other day before the update but tonight it dropped from 3 metres to just under 2 metres with only a 2 metre horizontal command rearward. Might have to look at controller calibration
3. Moved about 75cm sideways on palm launch release on one occasion (no wind)
4. Moved about 1 metre upwards on palm launch on one occasion (I suggest care on palm launching in a confined space)
5. "Lady announcer" gained a stammer when annoucing "H H H H Home location set"

2017-8-22
Use props
InkedUpDad.com
lvl.2
Flight distance : 55276 ft
United States

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-8-21 13:45
Why is DJI giving us a date to update or the spark won't be able to take off?

The assumption is that they corrected an issue in the firmware. If so this may become a liability if not corrected. DJI is basically protecting their company and their users by issuing a mandatory update.

If you don't update by that date the Spark will not lift off, however, once you update you can resume flights.
2017-8-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

InkedUpDad.com Posted at 2017-8-22 11:16
The assumption is that they corrected an issue in the firmware. If so this may become a liability if not corrected. DJI is basically protecting their company and their users by issuing a mandatory update.

If you don't update by that date the Spark will not lift off, however, once you update you can resume flights.

This does imply so. They must have found a major safety issue here.
2017-8-22
Use props
miPaul
lvl.1
Flight distance : 25686 ft
Canada

I am unable to update with Second Battery...... Keeps telling me there is an Update but wont allow me to do it Error code 129!   
2017-8-22
Use props
Jimmers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 49623 ft
United States

miPaul Posted at 2017-8-22 13:14
I am unable to update with Second Battery...... Keeps telling me there is an Update but wont allow me to do it Error code 129!

Same thing happened to me.  Connect it with DJI Assistant on you computer and it will update.
2017-8-22
Use props
miPaul
lvl.1
Flight distance : 25686 ft
Canada

Ok Update to my previous post..... I left the drone on, removed the battery! Shut down controller and phone, Restarted now seems to allow the update
2017-8-22
Use props
fanse202d485
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2684 ft
United States

Noticed a few things.  
1.  The red lights on the front are now always green
2.  The red lights used to turn off when the camera was on.  (no indication from the Red 4 if it is filming or not)
3.  The spark seems to turn off on it's own after landing.  It does not stop recording but the entire spark shuts off and and the video is no corrupt.
4.  Also had a geo fencing update today. 8/22/2017
2017-8-22
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

WilfredFireStee Posted at 2017-8-22 00:29
Really happy there was an update but after a quick 2 battery flight test I'm still sadly getting video latency, if not more frequently. Also found that camera buttons were less responsive and had to press the on screen buttons after pressing video or camera buttons multiple times with no joy. Finally the stability when hovering at 2m ish was wobbly and moved more than previously in little to no wind. I made a video to show. I really didn't want to be moaning and again I'm happy the updates are here but im sure im not the only one facing these same issues but will do some further testing tomorrow...

what is the set up when you get the latency issue, what device  android or ios and are you using OTG ?
2017-8-22
Use props
bapski
lvl.3
Flight distance : 56171 ft
United States

did initial tests(using OTG) after updating to current IOS and FIRMWARE and seems like all QUICKSHOT modes are now working! wohoo!!!

gesture control seems to be working a lot better too!

i just could not fly a lot longer because of strong winds. but i am happier now....  
2017-8-22
Use props
fansdd190fdf
lvl.2
Flight distance : 858993 ft
United Kingdom

I have updated transmitter , spark and batteries but the 2.4ghz mode is still not working in the uk as soon as you tell it to move from 5.8ghz to 2.4 the phone loses connection and cannot see the transmitter without a restart of tranmitter and spark.  So basically just bought a £160 transmitter that has a maximum range of 150m only a 50m increase on what my phone could do for free. Very disappointed. So many threads on this issue and still no fix.
2017-8-22
Use props
WilfredFireStee
Second Officer
Argentina

lannes Posted at 2017-8-22 14:56
what is the set up when you get the latency issue, what device  android or ios and are you using OTG ?

I am using wifi connection, as for love nor money cannot get OTG to actually work with my device.
I am using a Samsung Galaxy S8 with most recent android version. I'm bored of this now and DJI have just said return it which i plan to do first week of September. There doesn't seem to be many people with the same problems i have so it must be a faulty Spark!
2017-8-23
Use props
RoyTeo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 45194 ft
Singapore

WilfredFireStee Posted at 2017-8-23 00:39
I am using wifi connection, as for love nor money cannot get OTG to actually work with my device.
I am using a Samsung Galaxy S8 with most recent android version. I'm bored of this now and DJI have just said return it which i plan to do first week of September. There doesn't seem to be many people with the same problems i have so it must be a faulty Spark!

Did you use the OTG adapter that came WITH the s8 phone? I found that that was the only OTG adapter that worked for my S8 also. My regular OTG cable that worked for my other phones just didn't want to work for the S8
2017-8-23
Use props
vasi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 16099 ft

fansdd190fdf Posted at 2017-8-22 17:22
I have updated transmitter , spark and batteries but the 2.4ghz mode is still not working in the uk as soon as you tell it to move from 5.8ghz to 2.4 the phone loses connection and cannot see the transmitter without a restart of tranmitter and spark.  So basically just bought a £160 transmitter that has a maximum range of 150m only a 50m increase on what my phone could do for free. Very disappointed. So many threads on this issue and still no fix.

Try this method for 2.4ghz with RC, it works perfectly and increases the distance by a lot.
http://forum.dji.com/thread-104427-1-1.html
2017-8-23
Use props
RoyTeo
lvl.2
Singapore

I tested the new firmware flying 3 consecutive batteries non stop under 35degree hot sun and found it never overheated. It was warm to the touch but not hot like last time.
All the quickshot and active track modes worked flawlessly. Video transmission however was choppy after 100m. Kept getting image transmission lost although not to the craft..just video..and just intermitten.
I didn't try going further than 100m yet..the signal strength wasn't strong enough. I tried both 2.4 and 5.8..same..OTG and wifi also same. I do fine it alwasys defaults back to 5.8 after I change to another battery. It doesn't remember the last setting.
Overall, i'm happy with this update..it fixes a lot of issues and i'm confortable using only wifi now..the only thing left to try is the range..hope to try further.
2017-8-23
Use props
WilfredFireStee
Second Officer
Argentina

RoyTeo Posted at 2017-8-23 00:49
Did you use the OTG adapter that came WITH the s8 phone? I found that that was the only OTG adapter that worked for my S8 also. My regular OTG cable that worked for my other phones just didn't want to work for the S8

Hmmmm thats interesting.... I actually bought a new OTG and micro usb cable from maplin for £14. Really appreciate any help on this so thats great advice and i will try this at the weekend when i next fly. I used to take my Spark with me when ever i went away but these days i'm more fearful and less excited......
2017-8-23
Use props
STech - Hathder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459094 ft
Brazil

WilfredFireStee Posted at 2017-8-23 00:39

Use OTG that came with phone, maybe works.
2017-8-23
Use props
RoyTeo
lvl.2
Singapore

WilfredFireStee Posted at 2017-8-23 01:23
Hmmmm thats interesting.... I actually bought a new OTG and micro usb cable from maplin for £14. Really appreciate any help on this so thats great advice and i will try this at the weekend when i next fly. I used to take my Spark with me when ever i went away but these days i'm more fearful and less excited......

I had the same issues as you. i tried multiple OTG adapters, i also tried multiple micro usb to usb c converters, all couldn't work on my S8. Until i decided to use everything that came from Samsung. I used the samsung micro usb cable, used the microusb to usb c converter that came with the S8 an i used a S7 Microusb OTG...and this worked!!
Since the S8 OTG converter is a USBC, this won't plug into the controller, that's why i used the S7 OTG which is micro USB.
Another thing you can try is to use your own OTG to the controller but use the samsung USB C cable, or a mocro usb cable WITh the samsun converter..
Try around the various combinations using original samsung accessories..surely one will work
But in the end i just bought a sony phone and used that solely for flying. Smasungs just dun work well and the app frequently crashes also..it's a known issue with samsung.
2017-8-23
Use props
WilfredFireStee
Second Officer
Argentina

STech - Hathder Posted at 2017-8-23 02:29
Use OTG that came with phone, maybe works.

Thanks. Will try this soon as i can
2017-8-23
Use props
djiuser_oUn3550
lvl.2
Flight distance : 50187 ft
United Kingdom

Hi!

I still using my OTG cable after v0.600 update!

- Uninstall DJI GO 4 app
- Reinstall it
- Re login into your account
- Connect the OTG cable to the remote and to the mobile.

--> MAKE SURE THAT YOUR USB CABLE IS FOR DATA, NOT A CABLE JUST TO RECHARGE THE PHONE!

Enjoy!
2017-8-23
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules