Higher than 500m?
14332 31 2017-8-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mhoppes
lvl.2
Flight distance : 141302 ft
United States

Is there anyway (without reverse engineering the software) to get a setting of more than 500m for the allowable height?

Now before you say "what in the world are you doing?"

I live in a very very hilly area.    The terrain elevation literally changes nearly 1,700ft in places.  There have been times where I have wanted to fly from the valley to the top of the mountain (VLOS) but have been unable to do so because of the restriction not even allowing me to get to the top.

FAA rules require staying below 400ft AGL when flying commercially.  Provided I follow the contour of the mountain, I can easily do a 2,500ft climb in a flight without violating any rules.

2017-8-21
Use props
Kuya Kano
Second Officer
Flight distance : 797913 ft
United States

FAA 107 Waiver

This is the FAA application in which you can request to exceed the standard 400m height limit.  
The application is FREE, and takes about 7 days to get a response of approval.  
2017-8-21
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

At 500m height flying VLOS, how accurately can you visually judge it's height and position relative to the helicopter that has just flown over the top of the mountain so that you can avoid a collision?
2017-8-21
Use props
Kuya Kano
Second Officer
Flight distance : 797913 ft
United States

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-8-21 11:51
At 500m height flying VLOS, how accurately can you visually judge it's height and position relative to the helicopter that has just flown over the top of the mountain so that you can avoid a collision?

That is true.
The "exemption" is 400m above the structure surface in which you are flying.  I know people who have tested this by flying above a radio tower, in which the antenna was in itself hundreds of feet tall, and the regulation allows them to fly 400 feet above that.  
2017-8-21
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Provided I follow the contour of the mountain, I can easily do a 2,500ft climb in a flight without violating any rules.

The drone won't let you do this. The 500m limit is being calculated upon take off point.
Example: You leave your drone at 500m. Climb up that hill in person to 1000m.
Fly the drone up. The most you can achieve is that the drone lands at your feet.

2017-8-21
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

As Eric mentioned, the maximum height is 500m and it is calculated upon the take-off point.
2017-8-21
Use props
fans04f3455c
New

Indonesia

Crashed.. falling down from 499m... suddenly motors off cause "battery cell error"
2017-8-21
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-8-21 19:55
As Eric mentioned, the maximum height is 500m and it is calculated upon the take-off point.

Yup so he has to do as I do. You go to a higher part of the range. Maybe you need to hike to the top of a mountain then fly from there. To get this shot I flew from part of my mountain range above my valley then added the 500m max height, flew out about 1.5 miles then took this snap shot. So it does look rather way up there as the village where I live is now over 1200m below or more than 4000 feet.  I want to do this flight again from even higher up the mountain but I would need to take a long slow hike. I also need to be there before sunrise when there is less haze.

1200m 4000 feet.jpg
2017-8-21
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

There might be times when 400 feet from launch in just not enough to get past the clouds. Sometimes I need 1200 feet to clear them.  Views are worth it though.

2017-8-21
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

fans04f3455c Posted at 2017-8-21 20:11
Crashed.. falling down from 499m... suddenly motors off cause "battery cell error"

Lots of my flights are at 400m - 500m height never had that issue with any of my batteries.
2017-8-21
Use props
mhoppes
lvl.2
United States

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-8-21 11:51

@Nigel_
Pretty well - considering I'm maybe 25 feet above the ground the entire time.
2017-8-21
Use props
mhoppes
lvl.2
United States

Kuya Kano Posted at 2017-8-21 11:42
FAA 107 Waiver

This is the FAA application in which you can request to exceed the standard 400m height limit.  

Not looking for a waiver - I'm not flying about 400ft AGL at any time.
2017-8-21
Use props
mhoppes
lvl.2
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-8-21 19:55

This is too bad.
2017-8-21
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

A lot of people would simply fly too high and too far away and not have enough power to get back from the distance and heights they would fly at. It's a safety issue. NO way for you to go to higher points of the mountains and fly from there?
SCREEN SHOT.jpg
2017-8-21
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

mhoppes Posted at 2017-8-21 20:59
@Nigel_
Pretty well - considering I'm maybe 25 feet above the ground the entire time.

If it is flying 25 feet from the ground then you wont be able to see the drone at over 500m distance from the pilot?  Even if it is directly overhead so a black dot against a bright sky in a known place, most people wont be able to see it if they take their eyes off it to check the screen and then look back.

Also you wont be 25 feet above ground if it does an RTH, you will be 500m above ground in a place that other aircraft aren't expecting to encounter you.

The answer is simple, like blackcrusader does, get yourself closer to where you want to fly.  Although take note that his flying laws are different and he does not have to worry about helicopters flying over the top of the mountain.
2017-8-22
Use props
dancopter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17901030 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

No way to bypass the 500m limit without some kind of non-DJI approved modification.
2017-8-22
Use props
SPIKE_151
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69767 ft
United States

Go to the top, fly all the way down, then run the video in reverse. Job done
2017-8-22
Use props
mhoppes
lvl.2
United States

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-8-21 21:02
A lot of people would simply fly too high and too far away and not have enough power to get back from the distance and heights they would fly at. It's a safety issue. NO way for you to go to higher points of the mountains and fly from there?

Of course I can go "there", but that requires me hiking a sometimes long hike,  I just wanted to see if there were any options.
2017-8-22
Use props
mhoppes
lvl.2
United States

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-8-22 00:40
If it is flying 25 feet from the ground then you wont be able to see the drone at over 500m distance from the pilot?  Even if it is directly overhead so a black dot against a bright sky in a known place, most people wont be able to see it if they take their eyes off it to check the screen and then look back.

Also you wont be 25 feet above ground if it does an RTH, you will be 500m above ground in a place that other aircraft aren't expecting to encounter you.

Correct, while flying safe at all times, we are in the middle of no where in class G airspace.

As to "can you see it?"  Yes.  I have the video, the map, and visually I've flown model aircraft (without video or map) out to 2-3 miles successfully and turned them around and brought them back.
2017-8-22
Use props
mhoppes
lvl.2
United States

SPIKE_151 Posted at 2017-8-22 02:35
Go to the top, fly all the way down, then run the video in reverse. Job done

And how does that work with RTH?  If I'm -1,600ft in the valley from where I started and RTH kicks in... what is the end result?
2017-8-22
Use props
SPIKE_151
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69767 ft
United States

Fly it in atti mode, just plan your flight correctly, look at the terrain and pick out several emergency landing sites on the way down. There is a video on youtube of a guy flying from a mountain in cyprus, 8 km downhill and landing on his apartment patio. It can be done if you think about your options.
2017-8-22
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

mhoppes Posted at 2017-8-22 03:02
And how does that work with RTH?  If I'm -1,600ft in the valley from where I started and RTH kicks in... what is the end result?

The end result is that your drone will stop and climb to it's RTH height as set in the app.  So as long as you have no stick inputs your drone will simply climb to the preset RTH height you set.  I have done this from negative height from about 1 mile distance.  
2017-8-22
Use props
djiuser_55RMcis
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-8-22
Use props
mhoppes
lvl.2
United States

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-8-22 04:57
The end result is that your drone will stop and climb to it's RTH height as set in the app.  So as long as you have no stick inputs your drone will simply climb to the preset RTH height you set.  I have done this from negative height from about 1 mile distance.

So if I'm at 1,600ft above the bottom of the valley, and I fly down the valley and am at -1,600ft from start and it goes into RTH it will go to 2,000ft on the return to home?
2017-8-22
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

mhoppes Posted at 2017-8-22 10:38
So if I'm at 1,600ft above the bottom of the valley, and I fly down the valley and am at -1,600ft from start and it goes into RTH it will go to 2,000ft on the return to home?

If you set your RTH at 400 ft height from home point then yes, when you initiate RTH, the drone will climb to the RTH height, then once it reaches that height it will begin the return to home point.

NOTE IF you have any stick input before the drone reaches its preset RTH height you will cancel the climb to your preset height and the drone will start to fly back to home point from whatever height it is when you input stick control.
2017-8-22
Use props
st pauli
lvl.4

United States

As mentioned, if you wanted to change the altitude limit, or other limits for that matter, there are options if you spend a little time on a search engine. Please always fly safe and responsibly either way. Sounds like you do.
2017-8-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Flying above 500M is a silly move, and often leads to more trouble and rules/regulations for the rest of us.

RedHotPoker
2017-8-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Well yeah, tha's why I find piloting my dirones, away from society, is always much more relaxing.

RedHotPoker
2017-8-23
Use props
djiuser_55RMcis
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-8-23
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

st pauli Posted at 2017-8-23 06:50
As mentioned, if you wanted to change the altitude limit, or other limits for that matter, there are options if you spend a little time on a search engine. Please always fly safe and responsibly either way. Sounds like you do.

The OP does not need to change the height limit. He is quite capable of walking up the hills to a higher elevation and launching from there.  I'm pretty much known for flying my drone at altitudes of over 10000 feet using max height.  The thing is that even if he had greater height, he still needs to account the time of getting the flight and also time to take photo's and return or land safely somewhere.

The OP could also encounter as I did a high wind condition that pushed the drone to critical low battery status even with 35% or higher battery levels.  It's power consumption and not levels that are important. What saved me was quick thinking and the fact I was hovering but came back at over 50 mph with a tail wind from max height. Full left stick down and full throttle forward to get my drone to home point asap. It was faster arriving at home point from a greater distance than losing the max height.  
JADE MOUNTAIN 14000 FEET.jpg
2017-8-24
Use props
Waldo4280
lvl.4
Australia

G'day,

So I'm trying to get my head around this and want to confirm it with you guys. If I look at the DJI Fly app and click to a place where I'd like to fly from, it's altitude is 529m and says it's a GEO Zones (2) with an altitude zone: 500m. For flight above altitude limit unlocking is required. But reading all your comments it seems that I can take off from this spot and can only go up a further 500m? (although legally I can only fly above 120m from a take off point (and I limit it to a 100m anyway).

Am I reading things right from what you've written previously?
3-20 21:29
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Waldo4280 Posted at 3-20 21:29
G'day,

So I'm trying to get my head around this and want to confirm it with you guys. If I look at the DJI Fly app and click to a place where I'd like to fly from, it's altitude is 529m and says it's a GEO Zones (2) with an altitude zone: 500m. For flight above altitude limit unlocking is required. But reading all your comments it seems that I can take off from this spot and can only go up a further 500m? (although legally I can only fly above 120m from a take off point (and I limit it to a 100m anyway).

Aloha Waldo,

Every country has different height regulations.  For example, the US calls buildings and mountains "structures" and height limits are measured from structure height (and distance).  So, to complicate things further, as long as I fly within 400 feet of the cliffs next to my house, I am within the regulations.  I regularly fly up the cliffs to 1640 feet and get great shots.

Australia has a regulatory body for drones.  You should look up their web site and check what their height regulation details are.   They will also answer any of your questions.

Take care and be safe.

Aloha and Drone On!
3-24 02:29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules