4117 12 2017-8-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GarethDPhillips
lvl.1
Flight distance : 79816 ft
United Kingdom

Hi

Please could somebody help me understand which WiFi frequencies are used when flying Spark with a controller?

I would like to use 2.4Ghz (or at least try it) to see if I could increase the fairly feeble range of my Spark (UK) but I dont actually see a way to do this with the controller and a USB OTG cable. Am I right in saying there is no way to do this with OTG connected?  I suspect that reverting to WiFi would be counter-productive as the thing is so much better using OTG.

Also the 2.4Ghz versus 5Hz option seems to relate to the WiFi used for video signal. Does the actual control signal (between Spark and controller) use the same, or is that always 5Ghz?

If the video signal is lost, is the control signal also lost?  Are they one in the same?

Not clear on some of this. My understanding is that 2.4Ghz would have a longer range in the great outdoors, but I see no way to ask it to use this.

Thanks
2017-8-21
Use props
lafoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1402680 ft
Portugal

Using OTG you can't select 2.4Ghz. You have to connect first with wifi, select 2.4Ghz and then conect OTG.

2017-8-21
Use props
Convert
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6129 ft
United Kingdom

lafoto Posted at 2017-8-21 12:53
Using OTG you can't select 2.4Ghz. You have to connect first with wifi, select 2.4Ghz and then conect OTG.

Exactly the opposite for me. If I use the otg cable I can ONLY use 2.4ghz by default. Or at least that's what shows on the icon on screen with an OTG lead used.

As far as I understand it (now) there are 2.4ghz and 5.8ghz ranges of channels. If you use one for spark>controller the other is used for controller>smart device. 2.4ghz has a greater permitted power in the EU than 5.8ghz so ideally you want to use that for the spark>controller connection. It defaults to the 5.8ghz for this for some reason. Switching to 2.4 seems to give some people issues as the channels used by dji in the 5.8 range are not always compatible with smart devices sold in the EU.

In truth for the distance I am comfortable to have the tiny little spark away from me - either work well enough. But then again the more I use it the more I think the best footage I get is when the spark is low and close to me. Very rarely do I see these big high shots and get impressed once the novelty has warn off.
2017-8-21
Use props
lafoto
lvl.4
Portugal

Are you Always at 2,4GHz.... Default for me is 5,8GHz...
2017-8-21
Use props
Convert
lvl.3
United Kingdom

lafoto Posted at 2017-8-21 13:08
Are you Always at 2,4GHz.... Default for me is 5,8GHz...

Default for me is 5.8 when not using otg. When I plug in an otg it defaults to 2.4.
2017-8-21
Use props
lafoto
lvl.4
Portugal

Convert Posted at 2017-8-21 13:11
Default for me is 5.8 when not using otg. When I plug in an otg it defaults to 2.4.

Are you using android?
2017-8-21
Use props
Convert
lvl.3
United Kingdom

lafoto Posted at 2017-8-21 13:16
Are you using android?

apple iphone 7+
2017-8-21
Use props
lafoto
lvl.4
Portugal

Ok!...
Each on of us has a different experience depending on the device we are using, apple or android.
I think apple is the best choice for DJI... And i don't have it...The experience should be universal!...
2017-8-21
Use props
Spaners
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1542 ft
United Kingdom

are you on android or ios?
If Android, turn on spark, then turn on rc, once the rc has connected connect your android device to the rc via wifi. (have usb cable connected to device and otg cable connected to usb cable DONOT connect to RC yet)
in settings in GO4 app, go to networks and select 2.4g, chose a clear channel and confirm. The wifi will reset and your video feed will go black and white. quickly switch wifi on device off and connect OTG cable to RC.
What you are selecting is the frequency that the RC is going to transmit to the spark on. the connection from rc to android or ios device will go to 5.8. that is why we have a problem in EU as our android devices donot support the DFS channels on 5.8g if the connection via OTG dose not connect exit the go fly part of the app and you should see go fly has turned on, re enter gofly.
Hope this helps
any questions just ask
PS once I had done this, when I disconnect from RC and reconnect with mobile device (Android) I do not need to do the three beep reset as it seems to remember to stay on 2.4g
2017-8-21
Use props
vasi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 16099 ft

France

This was detailed a while ago, you can search the forum, almost everything was answered previously.
http://forum.dji.com/thread-104427-1-1.html
2017-8-22
Use props
GarethDPhillips
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Spaners Posted at 2017-8-21 13:34
are you on android or ios?
If Android, turn on spark, then turn on rc, once the rc has connected connect your android device to the rc via wifi. (have usb cable connected to device and otg cable connected to usb cable DONOT connect to RC yet)
in settings in GO4 app, go to networks and select 2.4g, chose a clear channel and confirm. The wifi will reset and your video feed will go black and white. quickly switch wifi on device off and connect OTG cable to RC.

Thanks, very informative.

I am on Android, and I just tested this (Pixel) and it seems to work, but its too late to fly so will try another time.

What kind of increase am I likely to see in the UK? Double?

Is interference likely to be a big problem on 2.4 ?
2017-8-22
Use props
Spaners
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1542 ft
United Kingdom

GarethDPhillips Posted at 2017-8-22 12:42
Thanks, very informative.

I am on Android, and I just tested this (Pixel) and it seems to work, but its too late to fly so will try another time.

Yes interference is the big problem on 2G4, down load a wifi analyser app onto your device and check the area you intend to fly . I use wifi analyser pro (from play store) you will be surprized how many signals there are even in the middle of a big park hold your phone infront of you and do a slow 360 degree circle. You will see the signals rise and fall as you turn. This will show you what direction the signal is coming from, fly away from the signals not towards them. Try and use the app to find areas that are wifi quiet.
2017-8-22
Use props
GarethDPhillips
lvl.1
United States

So I tried 2.4 last night, using what appeared to be a relatively noise free channel, and the range was awful. I got a RTG less that half the distance I would usually get, and the video and control was constantly choppy (using OTG).

I guess I'll try again in open country, as there are a lot of homes around the flight area.  Not what I expected first time out though.  That was with WiFi and Bluetooth OFF on my phone  
2017-8-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules