Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
The limit of 30 minutes of recording
12Next >
8790 56 2017-8-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ubaldoponzio
lvl.1

Italy

I did a personal test.
I left my Osmo+ on for 6 hours and I recorded for more than 3 hours.
The configuration is: External Battery Extender, Battery to DC Power Cable, Phantom 3 - Intelligent Flight Battery, the cooling fan is always active, MicroSD 128GB.
The result that after more than 3 hours there was no deterioration in the performance of my Osmo+.
So I think the Osmo+, connected to a battery or a power supply, and the on-board fan, can allow video recording for well over 2/3 hours.
The important thing is that the fan is always on.

I conclude by asking if it is considerable allows such an option for those who actually need it.
For the live straming it's very important.

This is the video that shows all the steps in the various hours.

2017-8-24
Use props
paraviz02
lvl.3

United States

But still though, how did it not stop the recording at 30 minutes?

We have everything but the external battery ... The ones we use though last about 90 minutes, and we are able to record only 30MB until it stops recording. Then, if someone isn't actively watching it, they have to go back to push record again.

Is there a setting I missed somewhere? I thought it wasn't possible to record for more than 30 minutes.
2017-8-25
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Paraviz, you are right, it is impossible to record for more than 30 minutes.
Ubaldoponzio, what is the firmware version of Osmo+ and APP?
2017-8-25
Use props
Smaxta
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9944 ft

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-25 23:27

Mindy, can you please give a short answer, why it's not possible to record more, than 30 min. Why it such limitation? And how to override it?

In my work, I need to have 1 hr video sometimes. With any symple action cam theare no limitation and DJI did it...
2017-8-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Smaxta Posted at 2017-8-26 02:41
Mindy, can you please give a short answer, why it's not possible to record more, than 30 min. Why it such limitation? And how to override it?

In my work, I need to have 1 hr video sometimes. With any symple action cam theare no limitation and DJI did it...

In order to ensure the stability of camera, there is a limit in APP and firmware, there is no other way to override it, sorry for the inconvenience caused.
2017-8-26
Use props
Smaxta
lvl.2
Ukraine

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-26 02:48
In order to ensure the stability of camera, there is a limit in APP and firmware, there is no other way to override it, sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Thanks for prompt reply, Mindy.
But will it continue with a second clip instantly, without touching it or I need manualy to start again? An Osmo+ stays on tripod and I have no time to start- stop it manualy.
It looks silly for a product worth a thousand thogh.
2017-8-26
Use props
ubaldoponzio
lvl.1

Italy

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-25 23:27

I did not register for 6 hours.
I left the camera on for 6 hours and made 6 consecutive 30 minute recordings
2017-8-26
Use props
ubaldoponzio
lvl.1

Italy

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-26 02:48

I'm sorry, but after 3 hours of recording I did not find any problem.
Just leave the fan on.
If you can not solve the problem I will sell the Osmo and buy all the GoPro kit.
If I have to direct a classical concert it is unthinkable to stop the connection every 30 minutes.
I transmitted the final of an international contest that lasted over 3 hours with an iPad. I never imagined having such a limited camera.
I'm sorry
2017-8-26
Use props
LensmanDave
lvl.3

United Kingdom

The clue is in the Osmo's 3 axis gimbal , it's not designed for that sort of videography. Get the correct gear for the job.
2017-8-26
Use props
ubaldoponzio
lvl.1

Italy

LensmanDave Posted at 2017-8-26 13:26
The clue is in the Osmo's 3 axis gimbal , it's not designed for that sort of videography. Get the correct gear for the job.

Walking between the booths of a fair for 3 hours with a camera is not a job for an action camera?
An action camera can not then register a motogp race because it lasts longer than 30 minutes.
It can not register a tennis match, a golf prix ..... and the list becomes very long and the use of a action cam very short ;)
2017-8-26
Use props
Smaxta
lvl.2

LensmanDave Posted at 2017-8-26 13:26

Pardon, Dave, but Mindy mentioned camera, not gimbal stabil work.
Another question, what kind of videography you belive Osmo+ meant for? Camera for that price should be able to tackle simple recording for more than 1/2 hour, is't it? DJI position Osmo as great camera to shoot actions n' sport activities. So, why is that restriction?
2017-8-27
Use props
LensmanDave
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Ok, I'm willing to learn what you guys are shooting for 30+ minutes non stop, or even 3 hours. Could you direct me to a video as an example.
2017-8-27
Use props
ubaldoponzio
lvl.1

Italy

LensmanDave Posted at 2017-8-27 05:44
Ok, I'm willing to learn what you guys are shooting for 30+ minutes non stop, or even 3 hours. Could you direct me to a video as an example.

Stay free on 20th and 30th September to watch live broadcasts of one of the world's most important luthiers trade fairs ;)
2017-8-27
Use props
LensmanDave
lvl.3

United Kingdom

ubaldoponzio Posted at 2017-8-27 06:48
Stay free on 20th and 30th September to watch live broadcasts of one of the world's most important luthiers trade fairs  ;)

Cheers, will do
2017-8-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

ubaldoponzio Posted at 2017-8-26 12:17
I'm sorry, but after 3 hours of recording I did not find any problem.
Just leave the fan on.
If you can not solve the problem I will sell the Osmo and buy all the GoPro kit.

Our Osmo series products are designed to takes video within 30 minutes, this logic cannot be changed.
We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.
2017-8-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Smaxta Posted at 2017-8-26 03:45
Thanks for prompt reply, Mindy.
But will it continue with a second clip instantly, without touching it or I need manualy to start again? An Osmo+ stays on tripod and I have no time to start- stop it manualy.
It looks silly for a product worth a thousand thogh.

Sorry that you need to manually start again.
2017-8-28
Use props
ubaldoponzio
lvl.1

Italy

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-28 00:39
Our Osmo series products are designed to takes video within 30 minutes, this logic cannot be changed.
We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.

I have only one question:
where it is written that the Osmo+ can only record for 30 consecutive minutes.
Where can I find this information on the site or manuals?

Best Regards
2017-8-28
Use props
Smaxta
lvl.2

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-28 00:40

Dear, Mindy, may be it would be good to include auto restart for next clip record in next firmware upgrade?
Sorry, but when I choose Osmo+ it nowhere stated such limitation and I've suppose camera for that fortune MUST be able to record any length in 21st century. That is not fair buiseness from DJI to have hiden so many troubles and shorcuts on their products. And even no try to resolve.
It nothing against you personally, Mindy, you are really one of not many DJI staff, who gives an answers,thanks. But what I hear all the time, it's only sorries for DJI products from DJI staff.
2017-8-28
Use props
Smaxta
lvl.2

Dear, Mindy, may be it would be good to include auto restart for next clip record in next firmware upgrade?
Sorry, but when I choose Osmo+ it nowhere stated such limitation and I've suppose camera for that fortune MUST be able to record any length in 21st century. That is not fair buiseness from DJI to have hiden so many troubles and shorcuts on their products. And even no try to resolve.
It nothing against you personally, Mindy, you are really one of not many DJI staff, who gives an answers,thanks. But what I hear all the time, it's only sorries for DJI products from DJI staff.
2017-8-28
Use props
Smaxta
lvl.2

LensmanDave Posted at 2017-8-27 05:44

Dave, below is example link. That video total length was abt. 2.5 hrs, after was cut for abt. 1.1 hr and retimed for 20 times faster. That is only example, I also have some video for offroading, where camera works abt 3 hours unstopped footage, than later cut interesting moments. And so on...

https://youtu.be/a_EoW6UieNE
2017-8-28
Use props
LensmanDave
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Cheers Smaxta, now I get it! I can understand why you would need a long recording time for that sort of shoot. I guess the offroading would be a similar re timed video too? The Osmo would useful for ironing the bumps I guess.

BTW my £3500 Nikon D850 won't shoot any longer than 29 minutes
2017-8-28
Use props
ubaldoponzio
lvl.1

Italy

LensmanDave Posted at 2017-8-28 10:50
Cheers Smaxta, now I get it! I can understand why you would need a long recording time for that sort of shoot. I guess the offroading would be a similar re timed video too? The Osmo would useful for ironing the bumps I guess.

The question is, the D850 exists to do the photos and nobody is asking the Osmo to make photos like your D850.
I do not even want to make videos like a red cameras.
Making videos that last longer than 30 minutes does not seem to be an amazing feature.
Would you be happy if you should restart the computer or its application every 30 minutes?
What would you answer someone who would tell you that "if you want to read e-mail" the computer is not the most suitable tool?
2017-8-28
Use props
LensmanDave
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Well, actually I use my D850 for video and photos. I use my Osmo when I want to shoot hand held, moving around and getting tracking shots etc.
I'm not sure what the best model of camera is for doing long takes in excess of 30 minutes or a number of hours.
2017-8-28
Use props
paraviz02
lvl.3

United States

LensmanDave Posted at 2017-8-28 12:22
Well, actually I use my D850 for video and photos. I use my Osmo when I want to shoot hand held, moving around and getting tracking shots etc.
I'm not sure what the best model of camera is for doing long takes in excess of 30 minutes or a number of hours.

So interesting about the D850 ... What is their reason for not allowing you to shoot video for more than 30 minutes?

We discovered this problem while at a family reunion, and set the OSMO+ to view my rather and his four brothers ... Set it and "forget it" ... But then we ended up missing a lot of critical dialogue. (Only about 4-5 minutes, but it was still disappointing, we missed some great stories.)
2017-8-28
Use props
paraviz02
lvl.3

United States

I'm sure the engineers have their reasons (I am very very curious!) ... But would it be possible to put a feature enhancement request to allow for automatically starting new video?

If recording for more than 30 minutes, it's actually very difficult as the videographer to time those periods unless paying close attention to the mobile device.

But even then, if trying to maximize mobile device battery life, it is not exactly appropriate to leave the screen on.

If you could pass the request for enhancement to the engineers, that would be great!
2017-8-28
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

Osmo records video file into 4G segments. Everytime it restarts into a new file, there will be about 10 missing frames. This happens since their launch of Osmo. Many complain about it. If you are shooting in 4K, each 4G files will last about 10 minutes. So 30 minutes will equal to 3 times 4G files and you would lose about 30 frames. Although newer cameras, I2, Mavic and P4P, have now fixed this loss frame issues, the solution has never been implemented to Osmo platform. So I will not hold my breath that DJI will do anything else to improve on their Osmo.
2017-8-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

paraviz02 Posted at 2017-8-28 14:01
I'm sure the engineers have their reasons (I am very very curious!) ... But would it be possible to put a feature enhancement request to allow for automatically starting new video?

If recording for more than 30 minutes, it's actually very difficult as the videographer to time those periods unless paying close attention to the mobile device.

Appreciate your suggestion, I will transfer it to our engineers for consideration.
2017-8-29
Use props
ubaldoponzio
lvl.1

Italy

Why Digital Cameras Have a 30 Minute Video Recording Limit
http://www.tested.com/tech/photo ... eo-recording-limit/

My Encounter with Eurocracy, and Why Digital Cameras Have a 30 Minute Video Recording Limit
http://www.breitbart.com/big-gov ... eo-recording-limit/

Therefore the problem is not technical but bureaucratic and economical.

Panasonic's GH4R Finally Kills the 30-Minute Video Limit
http://cameras.reviewed.com/news ... the-30-minute-limit

Is there any "compact" cameras with no video length limit?
https://www.quora.com/Is-there-a ... -video-length-limit
2017-8-29
Use props
ubaldoponzio
lvl.1

Italy

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-29 00:32
Appreciate your suggestion, I will transfer it to our engineers for consideration.

I have only one question:
where it is written that the Osmo+ can only record for 30 consecutive minutes.
Where can I find this information on the site or manuals?

Best Regards and Thank You
2017-8-29
Use props
Smaxta
lvl.2
Ukraine

LensmanDave Posted at 2017-8-28 10:50

Dave, my plastic acton cam from Sony, cost abt 200, without cooling fan, inside protective case, on direct sun with 35-40 °C outside, done those shots easily. And DJI camera, with sensor same from Sony, cost 4 times more, with fan and in alloy body, can't manage it? And what a shame- DJI nowhere shows this info...
2017-8-29
Use props
Smaxta
lvl.2
Ukraine

Mindy, thanks! It would be really great to include that in coming soon upgrade
2017-8-29
Use props
paraviz02
lvl.3

United States

Thanks Mindy!
2017-8-29
Use props
Pixelinfected
lvl.1

Italy

just a 2 cents...
go to Sony forum please and ask why a 9000$ Mirrorless like A9 series stop to record 4k videos after 35-40 for heating.... nto for euro distribution for heating problems, like previous sony alpha (i sold mine exactly for that reason).
i understand that is annoying but this kind of cameras (osmo) isn't born to record so long clip; now, if we want to do that is another thing, but ask yourself how many cameras can do that ? most of dslr in europe are limited for simple cost / burocrasy reasons, if not are selled like other products, a workaround to avoid law, like small cameras that can do also a webcam function to sell it like webcam and not like photocam to pay less tax on, or other producer that not save in standard Pal video to declare that isnt a videocamera (cameras that invert field and color standard NTSC) and sold in europe.
There are many reasons, i understand that osmo is so small camera, and is not simple to remove heat from sensor.
2017-9-5
Use props
ubaldoponzio
lvl.1

Italy

Pixelinfected Posted at 2017-9-5 05:26
just a 2 cents...
go to Sony forum please and ask why a 9000$ Mirrorless like A9 series stop to record 4k videos after 35-40 for heating.... nto for euro distribution for heating problems, like previous sony alpha (i sold mine exactly for that reason).
i understand that is annoying but this kind of cameras (osmo) isn't born to record so long clip; now, if we want to do that is another thing, but ask yourself how many cameras can do that ? most of dslr in europe are limited for simple cost / burocrasy reasons, if not are selled like other products, a workaround to avoid law, like small cameras that can do also a webcam function to sell it like webcam and not like photocam to pay less tax on, or other producer that not save in standard Pal video to declare that isnt a videocamera (cameras that invert field and color standard NTSC) and sold in europe.

- The Sony A9 camera does not have a cooling fan. My Osm yes.
- I have not found anywhere written that Osmo records for more than 29 minutes, otherwise I would not be here to complain.
- I kept the Osmo switched on live with Facebook Live for over 5 hours and there was no problem. The picture was perfect as at the first minute. Therefore, for the Osmo, the cooling issue of the head is not the problem. But it would have been right for me to be informed.
I'm not complaining if every 4Gb file is interrupted. This is a known and non-DJI technical problem.
Do not write on the manual and site that the maximum length of a video is 29 minutes is wrong.
I Thing
2017-9-6
Use props
Pixelinfected
lvl.1

Italy

ubaldoponzio Posted at 2017-9-6 00:27
- The Sony A9 camera does not have a cooling fan. My Osm yes.
- I have not found anywhere written that Osmo records for more than 29 minutes, otherwise I would not be here to complain.
- I kept the Osmo switched on live with Facebook Live for over 5 hours and there was no problem. The picture was perfect as at the first minute. Therefore, for the Osmo, the cooling issue of the head is not the problem. But it would have been right for me to be informed.

ubaldoponzio this info is written at page 17 in the middle of page, under video mode, you can find pdf  manual of osmo, that you can download from website like i did, be cause i not have osmo...
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... ser+Manual+v1.4.pdf

a camera that send signal to facebook or a camera that process and record videos produce different heat. If you work with BMD, Red or Arri you can be amazed about how many degrees change the temperature from when you start to record and the end.
2017-9-11
Use props
ubaldoponzio
lvl.1

Italy

Pixelinfected Posted at 2017-9-11 05:18
ubaldoponzio this info is written at page 17 in the middle of page, under video mode, you can find pdf  manual of osmo, that you can download from website like i did, be cause i not have osmo...
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/osmo/20170310/Osmo+User+Manual+v1.4.pdf

Thank You for the information about the manual.
My mistake did not read it in detail.

The test I did in 5 hours was not just broadcasting with Facebook Live, but I also recorded 5 consecutive hours with the cooling fan on. Obviously interrupting every 29 minutes 3 resuming.

There was no problem.
2017-9-11
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

LensmanDave Posted at 2017-8-28 12:22

Most Prosumer camcorders record for the length of the battery, or size of the SD card.  My Canon HF G30 records for 2.5 hours on a large battery and one of the two 64 GB cards could go 5 hrs.  With an external power source.  When I was a wedding videographer we might shoot a Catholic Wedding, continuously between 1.5 - 2 hrs. getting people entering, the ceremony, the mass,recessional, and people departing the church.  With tapes we had to stagger changing the tape in each of the 3 camcorders to make sure we had continuous coverage.  I now have a  Sony FDR AX53 4K 25x zoom consumer camcorder that can shoot continuously for similar times.  It has a built in limited gimbal  (rather than moving the lenses).  Not as good for walking about with a gimbal, but like my Canon 20x zoom, it is incredibly stable video handheld.  On a cruise I shot a sailboat at least a mile away.  It was a dot in wide and filled the screen in full 20x zoom.  Held it steady, because the anti-shake is that good.  My hands not so much.
2017-9-13
Use props
Asidhowz
lvl.2

Germany

The file format the SD card is using cannot record more than 4gig, would exFat be better? Is it supported in Android?
2017-9-13
Use props
TokyoStreetView
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1211378 ft
  • >>>
Japan

Actually, the Osmo is not capable to record 30 minutes WITHOUT dropping frames (a few seconds) every 9 minutes or so... So technically speaking and in order to be honest to your clients, you should say that Osmo can ONLY record a maximum of 9 minutes at a time without video loss or a maximum of 30 minutes with video loss.
2017-9-14
Use props
Smaxta
lvl.2
Ukraine

Pixelinfected Posted at 2017-9-11 05:18
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/osmo/20170310/Osmo+User+Manual+v1.4.pdf

Cheers, Pixelinfected. Info in manual, you posted, relays to just Osmo. In the manual for Osmo+ (what is actually on discussion), the are no information on such limitation. And those are different cameras.

2017-9-17
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules