FCPX 4K 60fps video is HUGE
2754 6 2017-8-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dronelivier
lvl.2
Netherlands

Hi,

During my holiday, I've made a lot of drone footage in 4K 60fps with my Phantom 4 Pro. I've edited my videos with Final Cut Pro. The result is beautiful, however, my 5 minute video is 35 GB in size. Which is rather large in my opinion for such a short video.

Does anyone know a good, preferably free, way to compress my video to a smaller file size without losing quality? I have used Handbrake in the past, but I don't know the correct settings (if there are any) for my 4k60fps drone videos.

2017-8-25
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

35 GB is really huge, what about the original video file?
2017-8-25
Use props
fans61699a75
First Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

If you film in 4k and edit in fcpx than yes the files are huge.put you stuff on mobile drive . Or film in 2.7 k with yout drown.i keep my files as it is . And even safe the original files as soon as film has been edited
2017-8-25
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Normally you will end up with best quality if you get whatever produced the original file to produce a more highly compressed version, or a lower resolution version.  I don't know what options there are in FCP.

If you can't do it in the source application then Handbrake is a perfectly good way of compressing files in H264 or H265 format.  It does allow you to set the quality level you are happy with and will then compress it as much as possible for that quality which is the best way to do it if you want to save space.  You do have to loose some quality to save space, but with files that size you will be able to loose a lot before the loss becomes visible.
2017-8-26
Use props
Dronelivier
lvl.2
Netherlands

Thanks for all your responses. Here are my export settings in Final Cut Pro X:
2017-8-26
Use props
fansde9b0e3d
lvl.2
Flight distance : 485243 ft

Japan

Hi All.

The cause is in ProRess 422 file.H264 is good

2017-8-26
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

fansde9b0e3d Posted at 2017-8-26 15:18
Hi All.

The cause is in ProRess 422 file.H264 is good

The Apple Prores 422 is not the problem, it is the source file, not the destination. The destination file is h.264 in a QuickTime wrapper. The answer, as Nigel_ suggests, is to re-compress the MOV result using Handbrake. Play around with the compression settings until you get a final file that you are happy with in terms of quality and size.
2017-8-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules