question about new drones
1104 28 2017-8-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiguy001
Second Officer

Canada

I can't seem to find any 'confirmation' info on the DJI site, but have seen a few threads here talk about it...

Is it true now for any new drones you buy from DJI they *require* you to log into DJI via wifi before they will give you permission to fly?
I am also noticing now it seems they do "forced" upgrades whether you like it or not - i.e., will brick your drone unless you install updates on a regular basis - is that accurate?

I *was* considering getting a new drone, but if this is true - I will have to look at other companies now, because I don't like this kind of 'nanny' thing where you can't even use something you purchase without getting permission first every time.

2017-8-25
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

There is no need to have any concerns with flying a DJI product.
When you install the DJI GO 4 app on your phone or tablet you will need to create an account with DJI and login to the app. Once you have logged into the app, then so long as you don't logout, there is no further action on your part and you can happily fly.
There are no forced updates however, when there are updates, it is for a reason and that is mainly improvements to features or fixing bugs users have reported.
There is a small minority who complain bitterly about so-called restrictions but, in many cases, they just don't want to act responsibly. And, like most things, the vocal minority are the ones shouting loudest. The silent majority just get on with happily flying their drones.
2017-8-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Jenee is correct ... look into the facts rather than the silly sensational things you think you've heard.
Having to get permission each time you want to fly?  That's a laugh.
2017-8-25
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Everything said in replies above is true and nothing but true. However, if DJI's blessing and "permission" to fly is your main concern, than you definitely should consider other brands ...
2017-8-25
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

There is currently a forced update on the Spark, with a bit of notice so that people aren't caught out, but that is for good reasons and the Spark is a new model who's flight safety is still being proven, it's the first forced update I've known, hopefully nobody actually wants to fly an aircraft with a known safety issue.

I always fly without internet connection and have never had an issue.  The only time you would have an issue is if you want to fly over a runway or other no-fly-zone, red areas on the map, in which case you will need to accept responsibility before doing so, though you still don't need an internet connection to actually fly.  Few people should ever be flying in no-fly-zones so most people should be unaffected, the bigger green warning zones aren't an issue, they are just useful warnings.

You will need to register your aircraft and start the warrantee period before you can fly for the first time.
2017-8-25
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

While flying my drones, mostly outside our large city limits, there would be no wifi networks to sign in, to any accounts. No cell.
So perhaps some might have to sign in and leave the app running, while you travel to your flight fields/destination.

What I find ironic, and surprisingly amusing, my home city is within our Alberta Bowhunting Zone.
So we can legally hunt small or big game, with bow and arrows in the city.
Yet, yes now we have these strict RC rules, that prevent many from enjoying their hobby drone, closer to home. Hahahaha

I wonder if anyone would bother me about flying, if I was wearing a full suit of Real Tree camouflage, and my full quiver of EASTON FMJ's? Chuckles

What ever your RC drone problems are, there should be an escape route, with an easy fix.

Wishing everyone an eventual update, that repairs all your troubled flights. & soon!! ;-)Fingers crossed for you.

RedHotPoker

2017-8-25
Use props
fans417abfbd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 434593 ft
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 2017-8-25 21:28
Jenee is correct ... look into the facts rather than the silly sensational things you think you've heard.
Having to get permission each time you want to fly?  That's a laugh.

I believe that is exactly what he was doing by asking the question.
2017-8-25
Use props
djiguy001
Second Officer

Canada

Thanks for the info
2017-8-26
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

If you want the best there is out there, buy DJI.  Yes, they have their problems, but what company doesn't ?
2017-8-26
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

djiguy001 Posted at 2017-8-26 06:31
Well... yeah - I had read about the spark forced update - and the only way they could have done that is if they stuck a "timer" in the software.

So I am wondering if now ALL firmware upgrades (not just for spark) - will now have "timers" built into them - so you can't "avoid" firmware updates - but rather DJI bricks your drone, unless you obey and log in every 3 months to get the new data (which means then they can also apply whatever new restrictions they see fit to your drone).

No, there wont be a timer, it will only get restricted if you allow it to connect to their servers and it finds that there is a mandatory update available, not something they will ever do regularly.  They will only brick it if there is a serious issue, either safety or one that will cost them a lot in warrantee claims.

Also they will not steal your data unless you choose to give it to them.

I'm sure other manufacturers have similar systems, GoPro not only bricked every drone they had ever sold, but also demanded them all sent back!  Only way to be sure that it is un-brickable is to build it yourself from very basic components.
2017-8-26
Use props
djiguy001
Second Officer

Canada

@Nigel - okay, thanks for the FYI.

Re: data. I hope that's the case.

Re: goPro - interesting - lol - if that's what they did - then for sure, would not purchase from them.

Re: building your own - yeah... True - but - obviously there is a lot of extra technology in DJI which make their drones more fun.
2017-8-26
Use props
15matjan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1158258 ft
  • >>>
Spain

djiguy001 - DJI was manufacturing the best drones ever. Unfortunately their big problem is they have no real competitors. Is not easy to act on a market where you have no competitors to correct your wrong steps as in a free market economy.This means they have the worst customer satisfaction service (if they know what this means...) and can afford to launch unproven firmwares which can ruin your flights or investment. And for me they are not selling cheap toys so I can not afford to risk my investment.This means if you buy the drone from DJI, you'll have magic moments and black days or weeks when a bug (they are very slow in solving bugs), will keep your bird grounded if you do not want to take the risk.

2017-8-26
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

15matjan Posted at 2017-8-26 12:40
djiguy001 - DJI was manufacturing the best drones ever. Unfortunately their big problem is they have no real competitors. Is not easy to act on a market where you have no competitors to correct your wrong steps as in a free market economy.This means they have the worst customer satisfaction service (if they know what this means...) and can afford to launch unproven firmwares which can ruin your flights or investment. And for me they are not selling cheap toys so I can not afford to risk my investment.This means if you buy the drone from DJI, you'll have magic moments and black days or weeks when a bug (they are very slow in solving bugs), will keep your bird grounded if you do not want to take the risk.

Aloha matjan,

My experience for over two years, and with many DJI products, is that DJI is very reasonable and respond in a more than civil manner to those who are civil.  I have had almost every problem under the sun and always had a very polite response and great cooperation from DJI.  My customer service score for DJI is 100+ %.

Now, possibly due to the fact that I am familiar with the Chinese culture since Chinese make up 25 percent of the population here in Hawai'i (and people of European descent also make up 25 percent of the population), I may be a little bit familiar with the Chinese way of interacting and even doing business.  

The mantra that you get back what you put out is very real.  If you are nice and respectful, others are very nice and respectful in return.  I will say that respect is extremely important in the Chinese culture, so if you do not show respect, you are very insulting to a Chinese person.  Friendliness is rewarded with great dividends.

We get groups of people from all around the world here in Hawai'i.  A group of Chinese actually seem similar to a group of people from Israel.  On the outside, the group sounds like they are angry and fighting with the intonations of their voices, but when you get past that initial impression, they are both very warm and very caring people especially to outsiders.

As I have noted repeatedly, elsewhere on this Forum, firmware from DJI is great stuff and does amazing things.  Unfortunately, the delivery and installation of the firmware is outside the control of DJI.  The problems with firmware are due, most of the time, to the delivery and installation of the firmware.  DJI has little control over this process.  Most of the problems with firmware are due to the device and talents of the DJI customer.  The device is completely in the control of the customer.  The solution to a bad installation is completely within the control of the DJI customer.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-8-26
Use props
djiguy001
Second Officer

Canada

Cetacean Posted at 2017-8-26 14:16
Aloha matjan,

My experience for over two years, and with many DJI products, is that DJI is very reasonable and respond in a more than civil manner to those who are civil.  I have had almost every problem under the sun and always had a very polite response and great cooperation from DJI.  My customer service score for DJI is 100+ %.

Actually - I for the most part agree with you 100%

I for about 1 year had great customer experience and was very happy, and of course treated them with respect, and appreciated being treated with respect in turn.

But then I was lied to when I sent my drone in for support. I requested no firmware upgrade, was told that was okay - then some manager decided he wanted to "override" what someone else said. And - he/she would not give me his or her name. So that person broke the trust. Then I was told it would be fixed - so sent it in again - and then that same person decided to "override" it again, and sent the drone back.

So now... I am not a 100% happy DJI customer. I was before - and before was telling everyone to get DJI. But now... I think before whether I recommend them to someone else. And it is also now why I question certain things.
2017-8-26
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Aloha matjan,

Finally somebody far more eloquent articulated the issue I was hoping to express by myself someday ... Cultural differences that is, different ways of doing and managing business, different ways of dealing with people accordingly to their attitude ...  I've seen so much of ignorant, arrogant, rude, insulting posts here and there, trying to figure out what actually the poster is hoping to achieve by such ... "Hey, I bought this crap and it doesn't work, WTF? What this button is for, anyway???" ... If I'll be hired as a DJI Forum moderator, I'll quit the next day ...

Let's not forget, Chinese industry was sitting in darkness for half century, fabricating and distributing unbelievable crap internally under twisted reality of Mao regime. Suddenly, PR of Ch offered the abundance of well educated and obedient workers to capitalists worldwide. The class of their own entrepreneurs arrived soon after, a mere decade ago. However, to learn the rules of quality control, after-sale and customer service accordingly to Western standards is not a matter of decade or two. It will take a generation. DJI is learning these rules fast, much faster than you think ...

Lastly - like it or not - no other company is able to offer equally advanced technology by far. Indeed, the lack of real competitors doesn't help here ...     
2017-8-26
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Dobmatt Posted at 2017-8-26 16:37
Finally somebody far more eloquent articulated the issue I was hoping to express by myself someday ... Cultural differences that is, different ways of doing and managing business, different ways of dealing with people accordingly to their attitude ...  I've seen so much of ignorant, arrogant, rude, insulting posts here and there, trying to figure out what actually the poster is hoping to achieve by such ... "Hey, I bought this crap and it doesn't work, WTF? What this button is for, anyway???" ... If I'll be hired as a DJI Forum moderator, I'll quit the next day  ...

Let's not forget, Chinese industry was sitting in darkness for half century, fabricating and distributing unbelievable crap internally under twisted reality of Mao regime. Suddenly, PR of Ch offered the abundance of well educated and obedient workers to capitalists worldwide. The class of their own entrepreneurs arrived soon after, a mere decade ago. However, to learn the rules of quality control, after-sale and customer service accordingly to Western standards is not a matter of decade or two. It will take a generation. DJI is learning these rules fast, much faster than you think ...

Congratulations on being able to understand the cultural differences better than many  here. Only a short time ago the classic Chinese response to quality issues was to ignore the question, and there was no such thing as warranty.
2017-8-26
Use props
djiguy001
Second Officer

Canada

I personally think Chinese people are great! Great work ethic, good traditional values.

I am just upset at the one person who lied to me, and gave me a hard time when I sent my drone in for repair last year. They were a poor representative for DJI, and unfortunately left a sour taste in my mouth.

Up until then, my experiences with DJI were fantastic...
2017-8-26
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I agree with Jenee 2. And the mandatory firmware update is only available for Spark for now. Apologies is this bothers you, and we always devote to improving our product and service to bring better experience for our valued customers.
2017-8-26
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

djiguy001 Posted at 2017-8-26 15:48
Actually - I for the most part agree with you 100%

I for about 1 year had great customer experience and was very happy, and of course treated them with respect, and appreciated being treated with respect in turn.

Aloha djiguy,

OK, I can understand your frustration regarding the broken trust.  So did they send you back a broken Phantom?  Does it work as designed or are there problems?

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-8-26
Use props
djiuser_KgzF6OK
New
Lebanon

I need simple help, my new P4 pro intelligent battery is charging funnily. It goes like 1 2 3, 1 2 3, 1 2 3, 1 2 3 4, 4 3 2 1, Off for like 2s than repeats the loop. Is this normal?
2017-8-26
Use props
Woodwanger
lvl.4
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-8-25 22:59
While flying my drones, mostly outside our large city limits, there would be no wifi networks to sign in, to any accounts. No cell.
So perhaps some might have to sign in and leave the app running, while you travel to your flight fields/destination.

I couldn't agree with you more.....it's the same in most places around the world , it's  fine to kill trap and some really beautiful creatures for so called sport not out of necessity to live and to log vast swathes of Forrest but it's not OK to fly a drone.....what a crazy crazy world we now live in!!!
2017-8-26
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

djiuser_KgzF6OK Posted at 2017-8-26 22:40
I need simple help, my new P4 pro intelligent battery is charging funnily. It goes like 1 2 3, 1 2 3, 1 2 3, 1 2 3 4, 4 3 2 1, Off for like 2s than repeats the loop. Is this normal?

Off the topic, please create new thread. Meantime check the manual explanation of typical battery light flashing patterns during charging.
2017-8-26
Use props
Woodwanger
lvl.4
United Kingdom

For me this is not a big issue but for others it is  which is a fair point which DJI needs to take notice,
DJI do make the best drones out there at the moment, and yes they come across very helpful when required but like so many others I have also had some bad experiences with them,
Overall a great product but bad business practices!
2017-8-26
Use props
Woodwanger
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Aloha matjan,

Part of what you say I agree with that the Chinese people are no different from others if you are civil to them you should expect the same back!
However I am greatly surprised by your comments regarding their culture it's a shame that their culture and traditions have not moved into the 21st Century as their technology has, China has a Lott to answer for because of their traditions and are the main cause why so many important species around the world are facing mass extinction,
Given you come from a sea fairing nation who has great respect for the Oceans and everything in it, thanks to the Chinese liking shark fins in their soup 90% of the Oceans sharks have been wiped out,
Ask the last Northern white Rhino what he thinks of Chinese traditions or the African Elephant and the Asian Tiger to name but a few,
Because of what you say of their culture and respect for others is somewhat misleading as they clearly have no respect for the planet we all share, because of this our grandchildren won't get to see many of these amazing creatures in the wild or if at all!

2017-8-27
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Woodwanger Posted at 2017-8-27 00:20
Part of what you say I agree with that the Chinese people are no different from others if you are civil to them you should expect the same back!
However I am greatly surprised by your comments regarding their culture it's a shame that their culture and traditions have not moved into the 21st Century as their technology has, China has a Lott to answer for because of their traditions and are the main cause why so many important species around the world are facing mass extinction,
Given you come from a sea fairing nation who has great respect for the Oceans and everything in it, thanks to the Chinese liking shark fins in their soup 90% of the Oceans sharks have been wiped out,

Aloha Woodwanger,

Your points are well taken.  The mainland Chinese (DJI Chinese) have entered their environmental development stage.  They are where we were 30-40 years ago in that respect.  But the Chinese have an advantage in that they will be able to develop environmentlly much faster that we did because of all the experience by other parts of the world.

Then we have the good old USA.  We are devolving our environmental ethic.  We are going backwards real fast.  The USA and the Chinese are like giant ships on the environmental sea passing each other in the night.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-8-27
Use props
Woodwanger
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Cetacean Posted at 2017-8-27 01:17
Aloha Woodwanger,

Your points are well taken.  The mainland Chinese (DJI Chinese) have entered their environmental development stage.  They are where we were 30-40 years ago in that respect.  But the Chinese have an advantage in that they will be able to develop environmentlly much faster that we did because of all the experience by other parts of the world.

Yes it really breaks my heart to see what is going on the world world over not only in China but Japan and the Faroe Islands to name a few and no way of stopping it before it's too late,,
For the future of not only the creatures we share this beautiful planet but our future we have the responsibility as human beings to preserve and respect our environment and all those who share it,
2017-8-27
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Woodwanger Posted at 2017-8-27 01:22
Yes it really breaks my heart to see what is going on the world world over not only in China but Japan and the Faroe Islands to name a few and no way of stopping it before it's too late,,
For the future of not only the creatures we share this beautiful planet but our future we have the responsibility as human beings to preserve and respect our environment and all those who share it,

Aloha Woodwanger,

Yes, I just wish you were an adviser in the White House.  This is so embarrassing and frustrating.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-8-27
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Woodwanger Posted at 2017-8-26 23:28
I couldn't agree with you more.....it's the same in most places around the world , it's  fine to kill trap and some really beautiful creatures for so called sport not out of necessity to live and to log vast swathes of Forrest but it's not OK to fly a drone.....what a crazy crazy world we now live in!!!

For many up here, hunting is a life style, a passion, and a great way to keep the freezer full of wild, healthy to eat meat. But it goes beyond that. Our conservation, requires hunting to keep the herds in check. If you understand carrying capacity of the land, then you would also understand the need. It's also a huge industry that keeps many outdoor business alive.
They even sell DJI drones at Cabellas....

The sad part of the stiff drone regulations, most RC pilots are very responsible, and don't fly with disregard for others in their community or neighborhoods. It didn't take the fool hearty ones with drone in hand, long, to spoil our hobby, by disrectful, illegal exploits.
If I am flying within city boundaries, I will stay within large open areas that allow me to appreciate my RC time, while knowing it's not going to inflict stress on others who may also be enjoying these parks and sports fields. Soon, school will be going back for Sept., and that will bring much more activity to the parks and playgrounds. So that will greatly reduce the convenient times appropriate for my piloting expression.

RedHotPoker
2017-8-27
Use props
15matjan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1158258 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Wow, I was out a few hours and this topic is steam boiling now.
Cetacean, I'm glad you had a positive experience with DJI customer service, which unfortunately I had not. Perhaps they do not like my avatar, name or something else which I do not know...
Because I reviewed all my topics and all were very respectful. All of them still are there so anyone can check.

I first had an issue with a new Mavic Pro which after unboxing had a shaking, blurred image capture all the times.
Posted it and asked for help on http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 49&page=1#pid747744
DJI Mindy asked for my firmware version, I told her the required info and confirmed the firmware was updated but later received no more answers from DJI. They simply vanished... and I remained with my unsolved problem and a faulty brand new Mavic Pro. They did not bother either to answer my PM's...
Not at least, the, politically correct: "we are studying your case, we are working on it, etc."
Well, finally without being able to solve the issue, I returned the Mavic Pro to the seller, got my money back and finished my Mavic Pro experience. First bad mark for DJI, but I do not feel guilty for anything.

Last week, had the error messages I described in topic: http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 55&page=1#pid925743

DJI Susan suggested to refresh firmware and relink RC. Which I did but had the same results and error messages. And is here where and when DJI vanished again. I simply could not believe. When they do not have a solution they simply vanish. Dissapear. No more replies, neither on forum's topic nor on sent PMs.
I am customer. I have a product which is coverred by a warranty and is malfunctioning and I proved it with videos or photos.
And DJI customer service simply ignores me!!!
Why ???

Should I bend my head and stay on my knees asking : pleaseeeeee....... ?????

In Europe we are used to receive at least an answer: we'll contact you latter, we are studying your case...bla,bla, bla...anything. But at least you do not remain like a foolish stupid which is how I consider I was treated two times so far.

I do not want to analyze Chinese culture, I think one can not extrapolate it from his or her experience with one company only. But I can not forget and I'll always recall the poorest experience I had with DJI customer service.
I'm happy other clients or customers were happier, unfortunately my experience was not.

I bought the dron in Europe and I expect a Western treatment, according to the common practices here. When a foreign company wants to sell anything in the USA, they adapt to the US laws and codes of conduct...Europe and any other country should be the same.
I do not care if "the Chinese have to learn it, because their customer service is like ours 50 years ago".I can not buy this argument. It is not my fault and they sell these goods on our market. If I would have bought it from China I would had to take it as it is. But not in my country. This is not disrespect for me as a customer, is disrespect for my country and our habits and practices. Is: "we are the masters and you can't complain"...
I'm working on a company, much smaller than DJI, but we sell in 35 countries and we learnt the customary and local practices in all and every single country were we do sell.
Because we had competitors and the smalest wrong step would have wiped us out from that market or country.

That's why I'm sad DJI does not have serious competitors at this moment. I think is rather prefferably for DJI to learn this lesson well than loose some angry clients when we will have the opportunity to choose. Because, sooner or later, this day will arrive. And, at that moment, there will be...many of us...
2017-8-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules