Flying my spark in the US of A
3629 20 2017-8-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Freakuk
lvl.1
Flight distance : 26699 ft
United Kingdom

I specifically bought my Spark for my upcoming holiday, I'm a keen photographer and GoPro user so I thought I would buy a drone to capture other view points from my holiday. I'll be travelling from Seattle - Oregon - Mt Hood - San Francisco - Ojai - LA - Vegas so I wanted to know if it's possible to fly at any of these locations?

I've registered my drone with the US FAA and wondered what else I need to do?

Thanks
2017-8-29
Use props
Goatherdervt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 386178 ft
United States

Pack some sunscreen and enjoy the visit!

US drone rules are pretty straight forward.

Can't fly above 400 feet (121m)  

Can't fly over stadiums or large groups of people.

Must be able to see the drone with eyes (line of sight).

The drones software and gps signal won't let you fly into NFZ areas either so I think that is about it.

Have a great trip.
2017-8-29
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

You can get more information in FLY SAFE. Here is the reference: http://www.dji.com/flysafe/no-fly. Thanks for supporting.
2017-8-29
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I am sure looking forward to the footage from that trip
(if you are planning to share)
2017-8-29
Use props
TranceMist
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1661591 ft
United States

Many of the places you mention have both National Parks and National Forests.

It is important to understand where you are while operating the drone, because different regulations apply.

National Parks prohibit "Launching, landing, or operating an unmanned aircraft from or on lands and waters administered by the National Park Service".
https://www.nps.gov/articles/unm ... -national-parks.htm
https://www.nps.gov/policy/PolMemos/PM_14-05.htm (See item #1 under REQUIRED ACTIONS)

National Forests allow operation of drones within some pretty reasonable guidelines.
https://www.fs.fed.us/science-te ... ems/responsible-use

There can be other prohibitions, such as fires.
Check for any TFRs.

The general rule is that if you're following the FAA regulations then you're primarily limited by where you land and take off from, because only the FAA controls the airspace.

Another good resource:
https://www.dronepilotfieldkit.com/
(you can download the free PDF)
2017-8-29
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

Thanks for the information pertaining to National Parks .. good to know
2017-8-29
Use props
futurballa
lvl.2
Flight distance : 18156 ft
United States

It's not a bad idea to install an app like Airmap on your phone.
2017-8-29
Use props
TMUSVI
lvl.3
Flight distance : 228891 ft
U.S. Virgin Islands

just have fun be carfull and do what you want
2017-8-29
Use props
ToyCarCollector
lvl.2
Flight distance : 202126 ft
United States

If you come by Portland Oregon say hi.  And don't worry no one will mess with you when flying a Spark.  It is so cute and toy like.  If you have a Phantom that can get you unwanted attention.  
2017-8-29
Use props
UAVTom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1236778 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ok.  If you're fly just for fun, then registration may be all you need.  Just ensure to follow the rules for hobbyists (https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/fly_for_fun/).  Now if you flying to make money that's a another thing.  You'll need to take the Part 107 exam to get certified as a drone pilot.  You'll need to study for the exam which can take as little as two weeks of study (at least for me).  If your planning to study, here's my recommendation.

A. Watch Youtube videos on Weather (METARS & TAFs)
B.  Watch Youtube videos on Sectional and aircraft physics
C. Download a really good mobile exam prep app there are a few good ones out there.  I used UAS107 (https://play.google.com/store/ap ... otix.labs&hl=en)
D. Look for a test center in your area, sign up for the test which will cost $150 dollars

If you pass the test you'll be given a certificate but you must then register with the FAA in order to get your license.  They will issue you a temp license with 7 days and your final licence will be mailed to you with 90 days.

Hope this helps.
2017-8-31
Use props
Adriano Araujo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 731565 ft
Brazil

Is the entire manhattan NFZ?
2017-8-31
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

Follow the FAA guidelines and make sure the area you are flying in doesn't have their own restriction; such as National Parks (NO FLY ZONE).  Good luck and don't forget to share your pics/videos
2017-8-31
Use props
IrishPilot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11060 ft
United States

Load the FAA App on your phone, B4UFly  It will give you an idea of restricted flight areas and pop-up Temporary Flight Restrictions (TFRs). Also, not currently a requirement to register your sUAS if being flown as a hobbyist and not for commercial purposes. I am sure the FAA appreciates your $5 dollar donation ;-)  Fly safe and enjoy your trip!
2017-8-31
Use props
LouisP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

TranceMist Posted at 2017-8-29 05:27

It is important to understand where you are while operating the drone, because different regulations apply.

Interesting about national forests...  I never really thought about there being a difference between a national park and a national forest... Got me wondering about San  Francisco.. Mir Woods is shown on the map as a national monument area.. while golden gate park is a national recreational area.. I wonder what the rules are for those???  
2017-8-31
Use props
OregonTrail
lvl.1
United States

UAVTom Posted at 2017-8-31 03:30
Ok.  If you're fly just for fun, then registration may be all you need.  Just ensure to follow the rules for hobbyists (https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/fly_for_fun/).  Now if you flying to make money that's a another thing.  You'll need to take the Part 107 exam to get certified as a drone pilot.  You'll need to study for the exam which can take as little as two weeks of study (at least for me).  If your planning to study, here's my recommendation.

A. Watch Youtube videos on Weather (METARS & TAFs)

Ok.  If you're fly just for fun, then registration may be all you need.

Hello, new pilot here. Thanks for all the links in your post. I was reading on the FAA's website and it looks as if I don't need to register my Mavic if I am just a hobbiest?  The following is an excerpt from the FAA's website:

"You don't need permission from the FAA to fly your UAS under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, but you must always fly safely. You may elect to register your UAS to help in the recovery of lost equipment."
2017-12-10
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Have fun flying and share your pictures.
2017-12-10
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

OregonTrail Posted at 2017-12-10 10:29
Ok.  If you're fly just for fun, then registration may be all you need.

Currently you don't have to register if you are flying as a model aircraft hobbyist and under the rules of a nation wide model aircraft organization.  The AMA is popular organization and you can follow their rules but you can follow other model organizations.  But,... legislation is currently going through the congress to have hobbyists register their aircraft.

2017-12-10
Use props
tvon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 43373 ft
United States

futurballa Posted at 2017-8-29 07:24
It's not a bad idea to install an app like Airmap on your phone.

Airmap, 2nded.  And find out the rules in the areas/towns/parks/campuses before going.  And be prepared to call the airport tower if you are within 5 miles.
2017-12-10
Use props
Brambleman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20627 ft
United States

Seattleite Sparker here... If you look at some of the app maps other suggested, you'll find that major metropolitan areas can be a bit hard to fly legally in. Seattle has so many airports around it that there really isn't a place to fly without having to notify a tower. Then on top of that, there is technically a city law prohibiting UAV flights within the city, AND additional laws prohibiting flying in any city parks. Also be careful, if it is a National Wilderness area, it is illegal to fly and the rangers will ticket you. I've heard from a few people that they are some of the biggest sticklers. Have fun and safe flying!
2017-12-10
Use props
Brambleman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20627 ft
United States

TranceMist Posted at 2017-8-29 05:27

To add to all this good information, National Wildernesses are illegal to fly in and there are a lot of them in the Pacific Northwest.
2017-12-10
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

Adriano Araujo Posted at 2017-8-31 04:00
Is the entire manhattan NFZ?

New York City specifically has a number of Model Aircraft Fields that are legal to fly in. Other than the areas listed below, you are not allowed to fly a drone anywhere else in the city:

Calvert Vaux
Marine Park
Flushing Meadows Corona Park
Forest Park
La Tourette Park (Greenbelt)

https://www.dronethusiast.com/drone-laws-in-new-york/
2017-12-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules