Phantom 4 Pro Plus Controller - Needs work from DJI
2172 11 2017-9-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans4e88ec63
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1130856 ft
United Kingdom

This thread is aimed for all of you to comment on what you think is needed to work on the Phantom 4 Pro Plus Controller.

I had some good expectations when I purchased the P4P+, however I need to say it has been a disappointment so far, hence I feel I need to raise a flag so DJI can help and put some work into it.

1) Display is Great!! Probably the only good thing about the controller

2) Unable to plug another device - This was a huge disappointment as this should be pretty standard, If for some reason the screen is damaged the whole controller is useless, with the normal controller, change the device and you are good to go.

3) Android, I need to say that I am not big Android fan, however the fact that the P4P+ controller has what I will say 10% of Android functionalities makes it even WORST.
- - No possibility to install other apps
- - Incomplete android menus
- - it is very unstable, the flight and video player is extremely slow and if you want to scroll in the video couple of times the app will stop responding

4) Firmware update is a nightmare, First it is stated that the firmware must be done via the microSD Card. (come on!!) imaging having to install an SD Card to install a new iOS or Android Version
- - Even if done via the microSD Card, I phased the fact that DJI does not keep up the webpage with the latest firmware, all of sudden a new version is requested but the new version is not available in the DJI webpage to download.
- - Not clear if over the air updates can be done. If that is the case, why state that the firmware update must be done via the microSD Card.

5) Suddenly and with no reason the WIFI gets disabled, Need to swipe down to find the menu of WIFI and turn it on. (not intuitive)

6) Suddenly and with no reason the GPS gets disabled (the GPS from the controller). I was lucky that a menu pop-up to enable it back, again it should not have been disable on its own to start with.

- - I have tried to find the GPS (Controller GPS) enable disable within the + Controller menus (Inside DJI GO 4) or in the Controller system Menus and I have not been able to find it. So, if something happens to that I wont know where to activate it back.

7) Sound Recording: Randomly records or not the sound via the MIC on the controller, It has happened few times to me already that in post view there is no sound and re-check the option to record sound is active, so this seems to be completely random.

8) Unable to update firmware from Assistant 2. You will think that if so important to update the firmware, the minimum should be possible is to be able to do it from the assistant 2, but no, the assistant 2 does not show the firmware update for the P4P+ controller.

9) DJI Go4 app updates. Not clear how the DJI go4 updates happens, One thing is the firmware of the device and another the version of the App, but seems that for every new version of the App a new firmware update is needed. this is completely non-sense.

10) Chinese language appears from time to time. I have nothing against Chinese language, but if English or other language is selected, all the things should appear in the selected language. But no, randomly some Chinese appears from time to time.

11) Update NFZ, (No Fly Zones), I am not sure if this is only a P4P+ issue or general issue, but there should be a place where it is checked that the NFZ are checked to be the latest (just like the firmware check).

In summary, My experience with the Phantom 4 Pro Plus controller has not been good at all. I really hope DJI puts some work into it to improve it. In the end we have paid a premium price for it and it is much less capable of using a normal mobile.

If you do know how to fix or resolve some of the points I included Above, please feel free to comment, or also if you have other issues, please highlight them so the users will be aware and also DJI can have the proper visibility.

2017-9-1
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Might should have checked all this out before you bought one.  All are lots of fun, but it's not a perfect world by far, DJI especially.
2017-9-1
Use props
fans4e88ec63
lvl.2
United Kingdom

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-9-1 08:41
Might should have checked all this out before you bought one.  All are lots of fun, but it's not a perfect world by far, DJI especially.

My bad, damage is done, that is the exact reason why I created this thread so it is easily accessible for anyone to see.

There is not much literature about it at least not consolidated or easy to find.

This is aimed to highlight what needs work so DJI can have the customer feelings and also the potential new users can make a better and informed decision.

2017-9-1
Use props
SM-17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 179288 ft
Malta

Agreed 100% with OP
2017-9-1
Use props
TheKJ
lvl.3
Flight distance : 344085 ft
United Kingdom

Android are the best if you get crap IOS You need to follow there rules and would not allow 3rd Party Dev's to make DJI A better place also there SDK Is perfect for Android all your points are Invalid and You'r just hate go buy a different drone then haahahah lool
2017-9-1
Use props
GeorgeG
lvl.1
United States

Totally agree. And might I add that DJI support via chat is a total waste of time. Spent two hours yesterday via chat trying to get the NFZ database to update.
2017-9-1
Use props
rparge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 173852 ft
United States

GeorgeG Posted at 2017-9-1 10:16
Totally agree. And might I add that DJI support via chat is a total waste of time. Spent two hours yesterday via chat trying to get the NFZ database to update.

Same here, the solution I got was to contact flysafe@dji, or whatever the NFZ email is.
2017-9-1
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I'm sorry for the confusion first. To meet the different customer's needs, both RC with built-in screen and  the standard RC are also available. Phantom 4 Pro + does not support the third party APP and external screen for now, the request has been forward to our engineers for further review.

As for the others, please kindly offer more details for better assistance, thanks in advance!
2017-9-1
Use props
fans4e88ec63
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-9-1 19:45
I'm sorry for the confusion first. To meet the different customer's needs, both RC with built-in screen and  the standard RC are also available. Phantom 4 Pro + does not support the third party APP and external screen for now, the request has been forward to our engineers for further review.

As for the others, please kindly offer more details for better assistance, thanks in advance!

Thanks Susan

I will hope DJI do want to have their products to be recognized as from a good quality. TO be able to do that the controller should be top notch in all senses not the opposite. Not to have a good aircraft and a so so controller.

Yesterday I had the DJI Go 4 in the plus controller crashed 2 times while doing intelligent flights, I was lucky to managed to regain control of the aircraft with the sticks and home bottom otherwise could have crashed the aircraft, Had to land and PowerCycle the entire controller for it to work.

Since it is a DJI Controller, App, Display, aircraft  etc. etc. etc. everything should work smooth, there is not a 3rd party in the way, so the expectations is that all is compatible and works smoothly an not crush.

Anyway Since you asked to go one at the time. lets start with the firmware update.

Can you please help us understand how the firmware update really works:

Every time there is a new app version is there a need of a firmware update? Yes or No. As I said before it does not make sense, but please confirm.

Is it a must to doe the firmware via the microSD card and local update or can be done over the air. If this is a must, then please make sure the webpage is updated regularly and remove the option to do it over the air.

Can the firmware for the controller be done via the Assistant 2?

2017-9-4
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

fans4e88ec63 Posted at 2017-9-4 03:04
Thanks Susan

I will hope DJI do want to have their products to be recognized as from a good quality. TO be able to do that the controller should be top notch in all senses not the opposite. Not to have a good aircraft and a so so controller.

I understand your concern. Please try to reset the RC if the crash appears again. The APP will update with system. There is no need to update app every time as it is not a mandatory update. We support update via SD card and WiFi, not support via DJI Assistant 2.
2017-9-5
Use props
JAG-Flyer
New
United States

Ditto on the disappointing experience. Please DJI, do something to fix this. We need to be able to use 3rd party apps or at the very least still be able to plug in our phones or tablets as a workaround. I can't believe I can't even use my iPad after plugging it into the controller. Very, very bad.
2017-9-5
Use props
BlikaSPY
lvl.1
Flight distance : 565528 ft
Mali

JAG-Flyer Posted at 2017-9-5 11:56
Ditto on the disappointing experience. Please DJI, do something to fix this. We need to be able to use 3rd party apps or at the very least still be able to plug in our phones or tablets as a workaround. I can't believe I can't even use my iPad after plugging it into the controller. Very, very bad.

I agree with everybody.
Why market something and then it is inferior?
2017-9-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules