Mavic - resetting Home Point when out walking
2937 6 2017-9-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Noitzadrone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 112746 ft
United Kingdom

Hi....I've watched several videos about setting the Home Point...
However, I use an iPad that doesn't have active GPS so I can't set the new Home Point as the Controller location.
If I walk a few hundred yards (maybe in Active Track mode), I don't want to trek back to my original starting location if I have to invoke RTH.
I know I can set the Home Point by swiping left any time, but my question is....
Can I just hover my Mavic close to my new location and set a new Home Point without landing and then continue with my walk?
R

2017-9-1
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Yes, you can. But I think it may have deviation since it is hard to judge the corresponding point on the ground when your drone is hovering in the air. If I were you, I wouldn't use the RTH, would like to control it by myself.
2017-9-1
Use props
Noitzadrone
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-9-1 20:16
Yes, you can. But I think it may have deviation since it is hard to judge the corresponding point on the ground when your drone is hovering in the air. If I were you, I wouldn't use the RTH, would like to control it by myself.

Thanks Diana...
I agree about flying home manually...I always do that... I have never used RTH...
I worry if connection was lost and RTH was invoked automatically.
We can walk quite a way (much further when cycling etc) in 25 minutes.

I'd be sensible and select an open area for the new Home point so landing accuracy isn't that critical.

Much better to realise the implications of how the thing works, rather than have to run back to the original home point, arrive out of breath, and find it's landed in the middle of someone's picnic :-)
R
2017-9-1
Use props
Zamboon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1332844 ft
Zambia

You can set the home point to where the controller and hopefully you are….not sure how just now but it’s there in one of the menus.
2017-9-2
Use props
Noitzadrone
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Zamboon Posted at 2017-9-2 00:44
You can set the home point to where the controller and hopefully you are….not sure how just now but it’s there in one of the menus.

Hi Zamboon...
As I mentioned, I don't use a device with active GPS like a smartphone so I can't use the controller location to select the Home point. I kinda knew I could dynamically set Home point to the current GPS location of the Mavic itself...I just wanted to be sure it would be okay with the Mavic still in the air.
R
2017-9-2
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Noitzadrone Posted at 2017-9-1 23:54
Thanks Diana...
I agree about flying home manually...I always do that... I have never used RTH...
I worry if connection was lost and RTH was invoked automatically.

Totally agree with you.
2017-9-2
Use props
GroTToFlyeR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1148937 ft
United States

Noitzadrone Posted at 2017-9-2 00:49
Hi Zamboon...
As I mentioned, I don't use a device with active GPS like a smartphone so I can't use the controller location to select the Home point. I kinda knew I could dynamically set Home point to the current GPS location of the Mavic itself...I just wanted to be sure it would be okay with the Mavic still in the air.
R

on the app, you goto top right corner , hit the 3 bars , when you get the drop down , tap the 1st icon, slide down screen a bit to the set the home point. there are 2 selections you can make, the left 1 sets it to your location , the right sets it to the remotes location. i wouldnt fly with out a remote . i did that once and it end up being 300$ crash. good luck and happy Safe flying!!
2017-9-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules