Can P4P record longer than 30 minutes and other uses for P4p camera
1753 19 2017-9-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cthetoy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 656703 ft
United States

Despite the fimrware woes the P4P is a good drone for videography/photography.
I volunteer and fundraise for my daughter's dance studio during the twice yearly dance shows. I record in 4k with 2 cameras (5D Mark IV and Sony A6500). I used a Gopro 4 for my 3rd camera but was unsatasfied with the 4k indoor quality.

So my first question is if the P4P can record longer than 30 minutes since the battery should last longer if its not flying. Both of my Canon and Sony camera has a 30 minute limit and then it stops. Sony has a hack to remove the time limit.

Anyone else uses their P4P for recording video while its stationary and not flying? Anyone custom mounted theirs on a tripod (on a physical tripod and not tripod mode flying) and if so how? (yeah I know I will get alot of attention having a drone mounted on a tripod in a theatre)

Here are the reasons I want to use the P4P as part of my 3 camera setup.

Need one camera on the side of the theatre for another angle to record in 4K
Phantom 4 Pro camera is decent enough for 4K with enough bitrate and D-log to work with
Most importantly that my other two 4k camera doesnt have is I remotely live view the event from anywhere in the threatre at 1080 from my Ipad. I can STOP/START video recording as well. I can even live broadcast if I wanted to.

2017-9-5
Use props
Capt Whitefoot
lvl.3

United States

Maybe a larger memory card?
I don't know if the battery itself would last longer than 25 minutes, but ScanDisk makes micro SD memory cards up to 128GB that work for the DJI Phantom 4 series.
Might be worth looking into.
ScanDisk Extreme Pro Micro SD 128GB card
2017-9-5
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Capt Whitefoot Posted at 2017-9-5 17:45
I don't know if the battery itself would last longer than 25 minutes, but ScanDisk makes memory cards now up to 520GB.

Sandisk, not Scandisk, and cards that big do not work in the Phantom.
2017-9-5
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The Phantom camera will not record for the full period. It breaks the recording into 4GB files, and manages to lose frames in the process. Also, it is not good indoors and also there is the focus issue, having to focus using the remote. You are better off getting a camera that is suited to the task, the new Sony action camera, the Sony RX0 would be good for the job: https://www.cnet.com/au/products/sony-rx0/preview/

Another consideration is having the aircraft electronics sitting there getting hot without any airrflow to cool them.
2017-9-5
Use props
cthetoy
lvl.2
United States

I don't know if the battery itself would last longer than 25 minutes, but ScanDisk makes memory cards now up to 520GB.

Each show is about an hour so a 64GB card in 4k should hold an hour. I just dont know if the 30 minute recording limit applies to the Phantom.

Im sure the P4 should stayed powered on and recording for longer than 30 minutes since its not flying. Im just using the camera to record a performance. Why buy a third 4k B-roll camera if the P4 can record just as good.
2017-9-5
Use props
ActionJaxon
lvl.1

United States

how hard would it be to turn it on right now and start recording to see what it does for 30 mins?  Sounds like a simple test to me.
2017-9-5
Use props
CanonMax
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8953215 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Don't you use Canons CameraConnect app with your Canon EOS 5D mark IV? I do....
2017-9-5
Use props
Rene vd Meer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 236781 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

This summer I made a time lapse of the retreating water.

I took 1 shot (Raw) every 30 seconds during 1 hour.
After that the battery was still at something like 70%.
I didn't use a tripod. The drone was on a dune.
2017-9-6
Use props
Landbo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

The camera on the P4P splits the video into 4GB pieces and frames are not lost when the video clips are reassembled. The P4P can easily stand and video for an hour or more without the engines running when the electronics are cooled by a fan. There is no focus problem if you set autofocus to on in camera setup. The camera in P4P and P4A is the best DJI so far has put on the Phantom series and can not be compared to what's on => P4.

Regards Leif.
2017-9-6
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

During some indoor testing on my P4, I discovered that the longest it would record for was 29 minutes and 20 seconds. That of course may have no bearing at all on what the P4P could achieve. But given that it only needs to be longer than the maximum flight time on one battery then the P4P could have a similar value.
2017-9-6
Use props
cthetoy
lvl.2
United States

CanonMax Posted at 2017-9-5 22:29
Don't you use Canons CameraConnect app with your Canon EOS 5D mark IV? I do....

I do but the app and camera can get disconnected randomly when the camera is 100 feet away. I use DSLR Controller with a wifi router to my Android. I can stop/start video recording and focus during recording as well.  P4P I know has no issues streaming video 100 feet away.
2017-9-6
Use props
cthetoy
lvl.2
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-9-6 07:10
During some indoor testing on my P4, I discovered that the longest it would record for was 29 minutes and 20 seconds. That of course may have no bearing at all on what the P4P could achieve. But given that it only needs to be longer than the maximum flight time on one battery then the P4P could have a similar value.

Thanks. I will just put a timer to restart recording if it goes pass 30 minutes.

For cameras the reason why the limit is 29 min 59 seconds is because of added Euro taxes. Anything camera that records longer than 30 minutes is considered a video camera which has an extra tax. The tax has been eliminated a year ago but not sure why camera manufacturers are still implementing the 29min 59 sec rule still
2017-9-6
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I want to see how you get a SD Card in your drone.
Probably only a hammer would do the job ;-)
2017-9-6
Use props
Capt Whitefoot
lvl.3

United States

Eric13 Posted at 2017-9-6 10:10
I want to see how you get a SD Card in your drone.
Probably only a hammer would do the job ;-)

From the DJI Phantom 4 Pro technical specs:  P4P Technical Data
Supported SD Cards        Micro SD
Max Capacity: 128GB
Write speed ≥15MB/s, Class 10 or UHS-1 rating required

You can use a hammer if you wish, I simply use a finger to insert and eject the card.
2017-9-6
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Landbo Posted at 2017-9-6 06:39
The camera on the P4P splits the video into 4GB pieces and  frames are not lost when the video clips are reassembled. The P4P can easily stand and video for an hour or more without the engines running when the electronics are cooled by a fan. There is no focus problem if you set autofocus to on in camera setup. The camera in P4P and P4A is the best DJI so far has put on the Phantom series and can not be compared to what's on => P4.

Regards Leif.

My apologies. The loss of frames certainly did apply to the P3 models, but has presumably been fixed on the P4 and higher models.
2017-9-6
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

What it upset me is that DJI never bother to fix it for X5 Camera or X3 camera. People complain about the problem since day 1. X5 camera users in particular have paid big buck on their crappy camera.
2017-9-6
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

DTK Posted at 2017-9-6 17:24
What it upset me is that DJI never bother to fix it for X5 Camera or X3 camera. People complain about the problem since day 1. X5 camera users in particular have paid big buck on their crappy camera.

What are you referring to? What problem?
2017-9-6
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Capt Whitefoot Posted at 2017-9-6 15:15
From the DJI Phantom 4 Pro technical specs:  P4P Technical Data
Supported SD Cards        Micro SD
Max Capacity: 128GB

You are cheating. Changed your initial link from SD to Micro SD.

2017-9-7
Use props
Capt Whitefoot
lvl.3

United States

Eric13 Posted at 2017-9-7 03:45
You are cheating. Changed your initial link from SD to Micro SD.

Are you suggesting it is forbidden to correct your mistakes in the DJI Forum?  
Yes, initially I noted that there is a larger SD card out there.  But then when it became necessary to answer the question if a hammer is needed to insert a card, I discovered from the DJI Specifications website that I linked, that the DJI Phantom 4 Pro is rated only to the maximum of a 128GB card.  

ScanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB  Mircro SD
card

Therefore, when asking about using the Drone for "still recording" in a fixed information, I wanted to provide an answer that would allow sufficient memory to film at 4k.  As for the suggested solution of a hammer, I would not recommend it.
2017-9-7
Use props
Capt Whitefoot
lvl.3

United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-9-5 17:56
Sandisk, not Scandisk, and cards that big do not work in the Phantom.

LOL, Sorry, English isn't my best language.  Yes, here is the one most recommended for the Phantom 4 Pro:

Sandisk Estreme Pro 128GB Micro Memory Card
2017-9-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules