Normal to have some squeaking from motors on Phantom2 Vision+?
2938 20 2015-4-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Faken
lvl.2

Canada

I have a fairly new Phantom 2 Vision+ that has maybe 10 hours of total flight time so far and it appears at least one of the motors is squeaking a bit when in flight and is especially evident the more intensly the motors turn when moving the drone.  There is no squeaking when the motors first start up prior to take off, it's only once you are in the air.  Is a small amount of squeaking sound normal or do I have an issue that needs repair?

Thanks,
Dan
2015-4-2
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Can you post a video clip or audio clip of the "squeaking", never heard of that before...
2015-4-2
Use props
Faken
lvl.2

Canada

I'll give it a try tomorrow, should be a beautiful day and I'm off work, so I'll try to grab a clip with my GoPro and upload it ASAP tomorrow.
2015-4-2
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Faken Posted at 2015-4-3 10:56
I'll give it a try tomorrow, should be a beautiful day and I'm off work, so I'll try to grab a clip  ...

Just as an FYI...if that motor is squeakin, you could soon be freakin!, they are not supposed to squeak so please fly carefully!
2015-4-2
Use props
Faken
lvl.2

Canada

Well the drone is only a month old so if it's an issue, it'll go back for repairs ASAP.  I'll be careful flying it until I figure out what it is.  Does DJI check this forum and respond (I'm a newb) or is it better to just call them and get an RMA going?

Dan
2015-4-2
Use props
mike
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

You should contact DJI here:
http://www.dji.com/support
2015-4-2
Use props
Faken
lvl.2

Canada

Thank you, I've just sent a support request via their email form at http://www.dji.com/support/report-problem and I'll try giving them a call after the Easter weekend.
2015-4-2
Use props
flydronefly
lvl.3

United States

I'm making an assumption here, without seeing/hearing the your "squeak" - but I have a ton of hours on my V+ and have noticed that squeak sorta sound while flying in the distance - never had handling or performance issues and it's happened since day one.
2015-4-2
Use props
Faken
lvl.2

Canada

flydronefly Posted at 2015-4-3 11:49
I'm making an assumption here, without seeing/hearing the your "squeak" - but I have a ton of hours  ...

Yep this sounds like my issue, there's no performance or flight issues, just a squeaking sound you can hear over the sound of the buzzing props as it flies by overhead.  If you just hover in place, it doesn't do it.. it has to be moving and the faster the movement, the more intense the squeak sound.
2015-4-2
Use props
flydronefly
lvl.3

United States

Faken Posted at 2015-4-3 11:52
Yep this sounds like my issue, there's no performance or flight issues, just a squeaking sound you  ...

I wanna say it has something to do with physics - something with speed of props...I don't know, just throwing something out there...maybe someone else will chime in - but with me, the squeak is slow semi pitch to it, I guess - never any problems though
2015-4-2
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

flydronefly Posted at 2015-4-3 12:01
I wanna say it has something to do with physics - something with speed of props...I don't know, ju ...

Glad someone chimed in, i had never heard anyone ever report a squeaky drone (and i am not trying to be funny)...i usually have a pretty good ear for most things and i have quite a few hours on my Phantom with nothing resembling that, who knows, maybe with the buzzing and humming and vibration and such there is something in the chassis/body so to speak that though not causing a problem is causing the vibration/high pitch or something by not being totally tight?
Would still love to hear it in audio....
2015-4-2
Use props
memelivorno
lvl.4
Flight distance : 287474 ft
Italy

I think what you refer to is the vibrations of the small power button of camera FC200...i heard i think the same sound of you when my p2 is in some condition in front of me 20mt high...my assumption is that is the little button on the gimbal because when i start my bird i don't hear that
2015-4-2
Use props
tonyphantom147
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Check motor if its hot after use, if hot the bearing is failing. Motors should not squeak.
2015-4-3
Use props
Faken
lvl.2

Canada

OK guys here we go...  This is the video:

http://youtu.be/QzXwZnLAheA

You can kind of hear it when it's just idling at the beginning, but you can DEFINITELY hear it when it's off the ground and I just start spinning it a bit.  It's like a squeaky rubbing sound, turn up the speakers and you can clearly hear it.  Let me know what you think.

Tony - I'm charging up the batteries today but will have to leave later for a hockey game, so I'll try it later this weekend for the heat.  I touched the motors just now (it's been about 20 minutes since flying it) and they're all cool as cucumbers.

Dan
2015-4-3
Use props
Faken
lvl.2

Canada

Sorry there was a screw up with the URL... it's at http://youtu.be/QzXwZnLAheA
2015-4-3
Use props
Faken
lvl.2

Canada

And just as a fluke, after my video played on Youtube, it autoplayed another video, which happen to be a fly away...  if you watch this video before the fly away craziness happens, I can clearly hear similar noises on his Phantom as it's in flight:

2015-4-3
Use props
allbritt
lvl.2

United States

Faken,
Mine has done the same since I got my V2+ (ver3) in Dec 2014.  It's the exact same squeak!  I have been checking mine and all four motors are about the same amount of warmth (not hot) after flying.  So far no problem, but I routinely check the motors by feel after every flight just to keep an eye on it.  Concerning the comment of flying carefully by Northofthe49th, I think it's a really good point; however, I intend to always do that.  With even the best quality semi commercial quad that money can buy, you are only a failed $1.00 component from a crash.  I intend to at least not fly directly over or close to people; especially strangers, for multiple reasons.   ( don't want to harm people or the sport, don't want to be sued.)
2015-4-3
Use props
stock12to32
lvl.3

United States

Mine has the same sound from day 1. I think and have thought it is normal.
2015-4-3
Use props
Faken
lvl.2

Canada

Hmmm, o I'm definitely less panicky then.  I'll send this video to DJI and see what they say as well.  Glad I'm not alone though!
2015-4-3
Use props
Jamie
lvl.4

United States

Make sure the motor mount screws are snug, and check the clearances between the rotating motor barrels and the Phantom body.
2015-4-4
Use props
yariv
lvl.1

Israel

Have the same noise and was indeed wondering about it. No performance issues.
Let us know if anyone fiddles with this and gets it to go away. otherwise, will carry on flying...
2015-4-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules