Mavic arrives today! :)
1579 15 2017-9-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
IainWB
lvl.1
United Kingdom

So I just thought I'd say "hi" as I await my Mavic arriving today....

I'd been looking at the Mavic for quite a while, but couldn't justify it... Then I was looking at the Spark - and actually ordered it yesterday for same day delivery, as the price point helped a lot...

But then I kept thinking "will I want the higher res?" and "will I want the extra flight modes?" and "will I regret getting the Spark instead of the Mavic in a few months time?"... Which would all lead to not a saving, but more money being spent a bit further down the line. So I cancelled the Spark to sleep on it.

Then I saw Amazon (UK) had dropped the price of the Mavic Fly More quite substantially yesterday (several hundred UK £), so pulled the trigger. Now excitedly waiting like a kid at Christmas! It's gonna be a long day!

Anyways, looking forward to getting my hands on the Mavic and look forward to discussing with you all here.

Cheers!
2017-9-11
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Haha, seems like it has been a long battle for you to choose Spark or Mavic.
Welcome to the new perspective of the world and nice to meet you in the forum. Cheers!
2017-9-11
Use props
IainWB
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-11 23:21
Haha, seems like it has been a long battle for you to choose Spark or Mavic.
Welcome to the new perspective of the world and nice to meet you in the forum. Cheers!

Thanks DJI Thor!

The Mavic was always my preference... But the cost was a barrier. The Spark was so much cheaper, with good reasons, but so much value...

But it has been a battle! I'm really glad Amazon had a steal of a deal!

Now where's that courier.... ;)
2017-9-11
Use props
Locoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 748675 ft
United States

Welcome aboard lainWB
I feel you have made the right choice. Have fun, enjoy and fly safe.
2017-9-12
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

You will love it I have both the spark on the mavic and while I love the spark. For what it was capable of and did for its size.... the mavic is much more of an aircraft. I continue to be blown away by this aircraft love my Mavic pro!
2017-9-12
Use props
Gregbella
First Officer
Australia

Have fun flying you are going to love your new Mavic let us all know what you think
2017-9-12
Use props
Eagle_Eye
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4137720 ft
United States

Word of caution......Try flying the MP on it's stock FW 1st before deciding to update.
Just saying.
2017-9-12
Use props
DocAraxá
Second Officer
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

Dear IainWB,

Welcome to this awesome forum.
Here you will find many experienced pilots that will help you to improve your hobby!
Cheers.
2017-9-12
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hello IainWB

Please have a read through the manual at least a couple of times (courier will come quicker :-) ). Many have come to grief by not fully understanding the RTH functions.
2017-9-12
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

" instead of the Mavic in a few months time?"

You've made a wise decision by purchasing the MP; trust me you won't regret a thing. Before you know it, you'll be a Jedi.   
2017-9-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Most crashes accidents happen straight out of the box, so be careful, look at the tutorials read through the manual, when test flying find an open space don't be tempted to test in built up or small area.

If you need any help plenty of good guys around will give you good advice.

Enjoy your new AC and welcome to the forum.
2017-9-12
Use props
IainWB
lvl.1
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-9-12 07:20
Most crashes accidents happen straight out of the box, so be careful, look at the tutorials read through the manual, when test flying find an open space don't be tempted to test in built up or small area.

If you need any help plenty of good guys around will give you good advice.

Thanks, hallmark007.

I went through quite a few vids, firmware updates, IMU calibration, compass calibration, gimbal calibration, ...

Then watched a fair few tutorial videos. and literally took off to a few feet and practiced basic controls and landing for a while.

Then went to a large park late on in the day (still with plenty of light) but knowing that it would be deserted, and just practiced very basic flying and gimbal controls, etc. Spent about an hour, basic controls quite low to the ground before getting higher... Even I wasn't that bold at all, and had a bit of apprehension.

I did record a few videos, and thought from the ground that I hadn't recorded anything decent -- not because of the drone, but because of me as the operator -- however watching it back, whilst not great it did way better than I could have hoped.

I'm keen to learn, but in no rush to do everything all at once. Like learning to drive a car, it's starting slow and really learning how to handle it and improving my skill level....
2017-9-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

IainWB Posted at 2017-9-14 02:43
Thanks, hallmark007.

I went through quite a few vids, firmware updates, IMU calibration, compass calibration, gimbal calibration, ...

Good  job...
2017-9-14
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Welcome to the world of MP.  You really made a great choice, enjoy!
2017-9-14
Use props
IainWB
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Eagle_Eye Posted at 2017-9-12 05:07
Word of caution......Try flying the MP on it's stock FW 1st before deciding to update.
Just saying.

I got a mismatch message right out the gate on power-up, so was forced to update... Haven't seen any problems with 01.03.1000 mind, but then again I also don't know what to look for yet and haven't done anything beyond very basic things!
2017-9-14
Use props
Eagle_Eye
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4137720 ft
United States

IainWB Posted at 2017-9-14 03:07
I got a mismatch message right out the gate on power-up, so was forced to update... Haven't seen any problems with 01.03.1000 mind, but then again I also don't know what to look for yet and haven't done anything beyond very basic things!

That's good news, I said that coz some people brick theirs out of the box by just upgrading.
HAPPY AND SAFE FLYING!
2017-9-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules