Problem with Props
2233 16 2017-9-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mtnlandpix
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I did a preflight this morning and noticed a crack in one prop.  I proceeded to change all the props and found another prop tab had broken and dropped into the motor. I was able to remove the tab from the motor.  I completed my preflight and my Spark flew okay.  From now on I will remove the props and inspect the mounting tabs on my preflights.  I had inspected the props about 2 weeks ago.  No hard landings or any other incident since then.
2017-9-15
Use props
Jimmers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 49623 ft
United States

Others have mentioned that they have found the tabs broken off as well.
2017-9-15
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Could you post some pictures for better analysis?
2017-9-15
Use props
mtnlandpix
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-9-15 22:46
Could you post some pictures for better analysis?

I was out pn a job so I did not save the broken piece.  When I get a little time I will get a photo of the prop.
2017-9-16
Use props
PY4CK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6443990 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

I had my first prop replacement today. I thought somehow I had hit something in flight this very morning but no. In fact it tends to have been caused by a rapid touch on a light lamp two weeks ago and I just noted it today. They are much thinner than the ones on a Mavic for obvious reason, thus more fragile. One needs to keep a close look and redouble pre-flight check attention. In my case, the crack is due to a very light impact. It did not break by itself.
2017-9-16
Use props
mtnlandpix
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

mtnlandpix Posted at 2017-9-16 04:30
I was out pn a job so I did not save the broken piece.  When I get a little time I will get a photo of the prop.

Here are the 2 props. The top one is missing one mounting tab, the bottom one has a crack in the prop blade.

Spark Props

Spark Props
2017-9-16
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is not good, is this going to be under DJI warranty? would there be recalls for this damage?
2017-9-16
Use props
Dji Community
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

in a pinch, you can definitely fly with cracks in your props and a missing tab, i have done it for a period of time im sure alot of people would give me flak for.  however if you can, most definitely i suggest you replace them as soon as possible, last thing you want is to be that person that had their drone losing control or free falling. but in meantime before it gets worse you are creating a huge amount of vibrations  that are going into the body of the aircraft never is good...  even if you dont care about breaking your drone, dont want to hurt someone else!
2017-9-16
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

I check mine often and have had no breaks or cracks in over 100 flights. But then, I have hit nothing with them and keep it in a GPC case.
I think some of these broken props happen in storage.
2017-9-16
Use props
mtnlandpix
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dji Community Posted at 2017-9-16 17:44
in a pinch, you can definitely fly with cracks in your props and a missing tab, i have done it for a period of time im sure alot of people would give me flak for.  however if you can, most definitely i suggest you replace them as soon as possible, last thing you want is to be that person that had their drone losing control or free falling. but in meantime before it gets worse you are creating a huge amount of vibrations  that are going into the body of the aircraft never is good...  even if you dont care about breaking your drone, dont want to hurt someone else!

No problem there.  I replaced all 4 props as soon as I found the crack and broken tab.  Bought a new backup set already.
2017-9-16
Use props
Dji Community
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

mtnlandpix Posted at 2017-9-16 17:48
No problem there.  I replaced all 4 props as soon as I found the crack and broken tab.  Bought a new backup set already.

good job on thinking ahead!   i did that too but i got a bad batch (mispackaged and cracked) and had to wait for another set..  i decided to test my luck out over open areas where only person i could hurt is myself and only damage i could do was to my own stuff..  did that for a week xD didn't have any failures but i got scolded for it..
2017-9-16
Use props
mtnlandpix
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dji Community Posted at 2017-9-16 17:56
good job on thinking ahead!   i did that too but i got a bad batch (mispackaged and cracked) and had to wait for another set..  i decided to test my luck out over open areas where only person i could hurt is myself and only damage i could do was to my own stuff..  did that for a week xD didn't have any failures but i got scolded for it..

Never thought about receiving bad props.  I guess I better take my new ones out of the package and check them.
2017-9-16
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

mtnlandpix Posted at 2017-9-16 17:23
Here are the 2 props. The top one is missing one mounting tab, the bottom one has a crack in the prop blade.

Could you export all the data for further analysis? We'd like to locate the issue. Thanks for cooperation.

2017-9-20
Use props
mtnlandpix
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-9-20 02:48
Could you export all the data for further analysis? We'd like to locate the issue. Thanks for cooperation.

https://youtu.be/ngEHdAlAh9A

It is really no issue for me.  I never expected props to last forever.  I replaced them with a new set of props.  I just wanted everyone to examine their props, especially the mounting tabs on their pre-flight check.
2017-9-20
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

mtnlandpix Posted at 2017-9-20 13:25
It is really no issue for me.  I never expected props to last forever.  I replaced them with a new set of props.  I just wanted everyone to examine their props, especially the mounting tabs on their pre-flight check.

Thank you for clarification. Wish you have a great time on flying the Spark.
2017-9-26
Use props
mtnlandpix
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-9-26 01:55
Thank you for clarification. Wish you have a great time on flying the Spark.

Thank you, I do have a great time with my Spark. It's an amazing piece of technology.
2017-9-26
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

I have not replaced any of my props with 39 flights so far.  I check my props every second time I to out flying. I have a small nick on one of them from hitting a small branch.  I do inspect it every flight to make sure it doesn't cause problems during flight.
2017-9-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules