Flipped Over and straight to the ground!
2350 17 2017-9-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DPirkl
lvl.1
United States

Anyone experience the P4P doing a flip in the air and then head straight down on it top side?  I was flying fairly fast back to me at about 80'. when it got fairly close overhead I pulled back to stop it.  from there it flipped upside down and hit the ground.  all the blades were still intact but 1 was broken. the camera gimbal snapped right off, the rest look OK.  Anyone seen this happen and what may have caused it?
2017-9-16
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Sudden break and angle at high speed probably.  Was wind blowing too?
2017-9-16
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

I can remember a couple of threads with the same problem, both with the P4P, but it is very rare.  I think in both cases it was covered by warrantee.

Would be interesting to look at your flight log, see if there is anything unusual - instructions for upload at the bottom of:  http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/upload/
2017-9-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Wow I haven't seen a flip like that, be interesting to see log, it's never a good idea to pull back to brake, just centre the elevator.
2017-9-16
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Things can - and eventually will - go wrong when flying aggressively ... Sorry to hear bad news, bro.
2017-9-16
Use props
BagoDJIoperator
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1077608 ft
United States

Aggressive flying will do that, thats why I am gentle with the controls
2017-9-16
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Were you flying in Sport Mode?
2017-9-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Dobmatt Posted at 2017-9-16 13:14
Things can - and eventually will - go wrong when flying aggressively ... Sorry to hear bad news, bro.

Yes, it's no different with driving a motor vehicle. Speed makes slowing down more difficult.

RedHotPoker
2017-9-17
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
United Kingdom

BagoDJIoperator Posted at 2017-9-16 15:08
Aggressive flying will do that, thats why I am gentle with the controls

I don't know why everyone is blaming the pilot!  

The Phantom should reject any command that would cause it to flip and protect itself, also if it does flip for some reason then it should flip itself back and return to normal flight.  There are videos showing the P4 can recover from being upside down very quickly.

If it didn't hit anything or get hit by something then there was probably a fault that will be covered under warrantee and will hopefully be shown in the flight log.
2017-9-17
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've noticed since the updates that my P4P descends like it has lost its will to live and had too much coffee.  There were a few times i thought it could flip.

For what its worth....   
1) Sorry to hear about the flip.  That sux, and ANY one of us could experience the same thing.
2) In the future, always keep a bit of forward motion when descending quickly, helps to keep the bird out of its own prop wash.
3) The flip should never have happened, this really isn't your fault.
4) I have noticed since the "legendary update", that my P4P now bucks aggressively when I descend and when I am in many automation modes... it also bucks hard when I move the sticks even slightly abruptly.

2017-9-17
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Aggressive flying + wind can do this. From 80 feet up though, you should be able to recover unless you cut power.

There is a new feature that disallows CSC in normal flight. Also, I think DJI will be detuning deceleration when you release the sticks to let the craft slide in the air more so that your experience will be even rarer than it is now.
2017-9-17
Use props
DPirkl
lvl.1
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-9-16 10:01
Sudden break and angle at high speed probably.  Was wind blowing too?

no wind at all
2017-9-17
Use props
DPirkl
lvl.1
United States

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-9-17 00:41

The Phantom should reject any command that would cause it to flip and protect itself, also if it does flip for some reason then it should flip itself back and return to normal flight.  There are videos showing the P4 can recover from being upside down very quickly.

it did not hit anything, it was in the air clear of everything,,, nothing but blue sky in view.  I have also heard that maybe the battery disconnect or I could have performed the Kill sequence.  what I cannot remember is if the drone propellers were spinning while inverted and heading to the ground as it happened so fast. I feel that they were still spinning but I cannot be sure.

As to the logs, I have the entire DJI_Record folder moved over to my laptop but not sure how to upload it.  I will tell you that the txt files don't look like anything readable.  maybe someone can make sense of it if I can find out how to upload it here.  I guess I could put it in Dropbox and share the folder?
2017-9-17
Use props
DPirkl
lvl.1
United States

I think it have the logs here

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/az5aj ... f4EZzu6fxulOoa?dl=0

open to what anyone can get out of this.  the crash happened 9/16 around noon.
2017-9-17
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

At this moment (not knowing the content of DAT file) this is just friendly, but meaningless conversation. Indeed P4 has an amazing ability to survive even the wildest acrobatics at full throttle, but ... As any machine, she's vulnerable. Shell cracks will never appear when flying conservatively ... Cold soldering may never get loose when braking slowly ... Etc, etc.
2017-9-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

DPirkl Posted at 2017-9-17 11:14

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/az5aj92xm15obkn/AADEBVFOZIFf4EZzu6fxulOoa?dl=0

If it's not too much trouble, would you please post the flight LOG link. Thanks.

www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload

You will get a good understanding of the flight here...

RedHotPoker
2017-9-17
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DPirkl Posted at 2017-9-17 11:14

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/az5aj92xm15obkn/AADEBVFOZIFf4EZzu6fxulOoa?dl=0

There are a lot of flights in there, it would help if you could identify the correct one to save us downloading and examining them all!

Normally people upload them to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/upload/ and provide a link, that will get you most opinions, however just telling us which file to look at would do...
2017-9-17
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I'm sorry to read your experience. Have you contacted the support to report the accident: http://www.dji.com/support? Please kindly offer your case number, I'd like to look into it.
2017-9-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules