1872 6 2017-9-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sunfield
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2406325 ft
Netherlands

Hey all,

Was wondering how you guys do the color grading. I want to try shooting in D-Log, but was wondering where you get the luts from. Saw a package from PolarPro, but was wondering where I can find more and more important, if they're usefull. Next to that I want to shoot with a ND8 (for example) filter on, would that still help in D-Log?

I saw this video for example, really wondering how he did that and if it's just as he tells in the comments.

Would love to hear your experiences with everything above.

2017-9-19
Use props
sunfield
lvl.2
Netherlands

Anyone with an answer? :-)
2017-9-19
Use props
PolarProSupport
lvl.2

United States

sunfield Posted at 2017-9-19 09:40
Anyone with an answer? :-)

Hi sunfield,

D-Log footage can benefit just as much from the presence of a filter on the camera as footage taken in any other mode.  The main difference between D-Log and other modes is that the camera is storing all of the color information about the shot in a separate file (the Log file) instead of doing any on-camera color processing.  This means you'll get more true-to-life results when color grading in post, but has no effect on the lighting situation as perceived by the camera.  It is still possible to get over/under-exposed shots in D-Log, as well as glare or lens flaring.  Filters can help reduce or eliminate such problems.

The LUTs we make are designed specifically for D-Log footage, and must be applied through an editing program such as Premiere, Final Cut, or DaVinci.  They are an excellent starting point for anyone not familiar with color correction, as well as folks looking for speedy results.  That said, it is also possible to color correct manually, it just takes more time.  Usage of the LUTs often comes down to personal preference.

Hopefully this information helps, but if you have any additional questions please don't hesitate to message us here, or email support@polarpro.com.

- Oliver from PolarPro
2017-9-19
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1448799 ft
United Kingdom

On the 4 (and 3) I always used d-log. On the 4P I prefer D-cinelike.
I don't use LUTs, I just spin the wheels until I get where I want to be - using lumetri scopes and tools in Premiere Pro
I have a set of ND4, ND8, ND16 and ND4PL, ND8PL and ND16PL filters, good investment
2017-9-19
Use props
sunfield
lvl.2
Netherlands

PaulSouthport Posted at 2017-9-19 11:58
On the 4 (and 3) I always used d-log. On the 4P I prefer D-cinelike.
I don't use LUTs, I just spin the wheels until I get where I want to be - using lumetri scopes and tools in Premiere Pro
I have a set of ND4, ND8, ND16 and ND4PL, ND8PL and ND16PL filters, good investment

Thanks! Got some sample footage? Curious how it looks :-)
2017-9-19
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1448799 ft
United Kingdom

Sure, I have a lot of videos on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/user/PaulSouthport

The p3 and P4 ones are all d-log adjusted in premiere pro for contrast and saturation, the p4p vids edited in premiere pro with contrast only, no extra saturation added.

All uploaded in 4K, or 2.7k on the P3 vids
2017-9-20
Use props
sunfield
lvl.2
Netherlands

PaulSouthport Posted at 2017-9-20 04:28
Sure, I have a lot of videos on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/user/PaulSouthport

The p3 and P4 ones are all d-log adjusted in premiere pro for contrast and saturation, the p4p vids edited in premiere pro with contrast only, no extra saturation added.

Thanks Paul! Will check them out!
2017-9-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules