Critical error means what exactly...
9971 16 2017-9-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansfe378d62
lvl.1
United States

My DJI P3S came back from a gimbal repair at DJI in california. I tried to start it up and the lights blinked, the gimbal danced around and all the lights on the underside of each "arm" turned red along with the light on the gimbal. Looking this up indicated that a solid red color means a critical error. What is a critical error and how do you check it out and fix it? Thanks.

2017-9-21
Use props
sSunSetter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 311089 ft
United States

Hmmm, I'm a total rookie myself. If you just got it back, get your firmware update. Re-do UMI, compass and gimbal. update go app. troubleshoot from there, maybe
2017-9-21
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

sSun is spot on.  Critical error means you cannot start .
2017-9-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Probably the best course of action is to turn it around and send it back. It should not come back to you in that condition, and you should not be expected to have to try and fix it.
2017-9-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

sSunSetter Posted at 2017-9-21 17:25
Hmmm, I'm a total rookie myself. If you just got it back, get your firmware update. Re-do UMI, compass and gimbal. update go app. troubleshoot from there, maybe

Yes, calibrate the drone. IMU, gimbal and do the compass out of doors.

Hope you can get this drone to cooperate.

RedHotPoker
2017-9-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2017-9-21 17:36
Probably the best course of action is to turn it around and send it back. It should not come back to you in that condition, and you should not be expected to have to try and fix it.

Yes, it's a virtual slap in the face.

But why not give it a go, then if needed, send it back, for more down time.

RedHotPoker

2017-9-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Yes, it's a virtual slap in the face.

But why not give it a go, then if needed, send it back, for more down time.

RedHotPoker

2017-9-21
Use props
fansfe378d62
lvl.1
United States

That's what I thought too. I'm trying to get somebody on the phone to see what're the chances of an over-the-phone fix. I'm getting disgusted with this drone.  In 10 months of ownership it has flown only once.
It also came back with the gimbal lock off. The camera that just cost me $150.00 to have fixed was flopping around loosely.
2017-9-21
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Sorry for this, have you tried to format the SD card, then restart the drone? Try to connect the drone to the APP, see what error message you'll get in the APP, then try what the post 2# suggested. Besides, could you please provide me with your repair case so I can look into it?
2017-9-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

fansfe378d62 Posted at 2017-9-21 18:06
That's what I thought too. I'm trying to get somebody on the phone to see what're the chances of an over-the-phone fix. I'm getting disgusted with this drone.  In 10 months of ownership it has flown only once.
It also came back with the gimbal lock off. The camera that just cost me $150.00 to have fixed was flopping around loosely.

That is ceertainly very sloppy service. Let Diana look into it and see what happens.
2017-9-21
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
United States

I know that repair is supposed  to test after repairs are finished, But sometimes wonder if this is really being done.
2017-9-22
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-9-22 06:04
I know that repair is supposed  to test after repairs are finished, But sometimes wonder if this is really being done.

It is very much part of the process to do a quality check before sending the aircraft back after repair. Sorry for any stress on this point.
2017-9-22
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
United States

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-9-22 09:11
It is very much part of the process to do a quality check before sending the aircraft back after repair. Sorry for any stress on this point.

Mark,  The only reason I mention that, is that I too received a drone sent back that did not even start, out of the box.  It was damaged by attempting a firmware update that bricked the battery. The only way  I could get it to even work, was by reinstalling the firmware, which coincidentally began at the point it failed in the first place,  Weird!
2017-9-22
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-9-22 09:31
Mark,  The only reason I mention that, is that I too received a drone sent back that did not even start, out of the box.  It was damaged by attempting a firmware update that bricked the battery. The only way  I could get it to even work, was by reinstalling the firmware, which coincidentally began at the point it failed in the first place,  Weird!

Interesting. Appreciate the clarification. We often do suggest reinstalling the firmware to see if this helps. Sometimes it can be a process that requires that additional step. Sounds like it worked for you.
2017-9-22
Use props
fansfe378d62
lvl.1
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-9-21 18:16
Sorry for this, have you tried to format the SD card, then restart the drone? Try to connect the drone to the APP, see what error message you'll get in the APP, then try what the post 2# suggested. Besides, could you please provide me with your repair case so I can look into it?

CAS-822365-V1K2Z2
2017-9-23
Use props
fansfe378d62
lvl.1
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-9-21 18:16

I have formatted several SD cards, Tried different cables to connect to the drone, and every time I turn it on it goes through its checks and settles down to red lights as near as I can tell. Like I said before; all four ams go red as well as the light on the gimbal. The only error messages I saw anywhere were the words critical error.
How do you reinstall the firmware? I assume you have to wipe the old firmware off the drone then reinstall from there. I'm looking into installing older firmware then reinstalling the current software from there. I live on youtube looking for how too videos on this drone. That's another thing; is the process the same for all DJI drones? Some videos are for the other versions of Phantom 3. Will they work with a Standard?
2017-9-23
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

fansfe378d62 Posted at 2017-9-23 05:40
I have formatted several SD cards, Tried different cables to connect to the drone, and every time I turn it on it goes through its checks and settles down to red lights as near as I can tell. Like I said before; all four ams go red as well as the light on the gimbal. The only error messages I saw anywhere were the words critical error.
How do you reinstall the firmware? I assume you have to wipe the old firmware off the drone then reinstall from there. I'm looking into installing older firmware then reinstalling the current software from there. I live on youtube looking for how too videos on this drone. That's another thing; is the process the same for all DJI drones? Some videos are for the other versions of Phantom 3. Will they work with a Standard?

Phantom 3 Standard is different from other drones, we are sorry for the trouble caused. The case has been escalated to local repair team to follow up, we will have someone to contact you soon on working days, please wait patiently, thank you.
2017-9-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules