12Next >
3529 44 2017-9-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Palladous
lvl.3
Flight distance : 102185 ft
United States

Looks like they got a piece of the arm with the motor attached.  I'd like to see the rest of it - if it wasn't pulverized.
Not many details otherwise in this article. A few pics if you open the link.
Wonder if the Blackhawk was fully armed lookinig for rogue Staten Islanders.

http://abc7ny.com/drone-hits-military-chopper-over-staten-island-/2443487/

MIDLAND BEACH, Staten Island (WABC) --
An Army Black Hawk helicopter was struck by a drone at approximately 500 feet over a residential neighborhood on Staten Island.
The helicopter, based out of Fort Bragg, N.C., was in New York City for the United Nations patrol.
A piece of the drone bounced off the rotor and became lodged in the aircraft.
The pilot, who was not injured, was able to land the helicopter at Linden Airport in New Jersey.
  The military is investigating the incident.
2017-9-23
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Well we can speculate until the cows come home...and I'm sure some will.
I do find it amusing that they are stating the Blackhawk was "hit" by a Phantom.  From the looks of those pics I'd say the Phantom was hit by the Blackhawk.
I read another article that only said the helo was above 400 not at 500.  Also, it seemed to imply they were over water or near the shoreline too.

More importantly, would that piece of the Phantom be enough to get a replacement under DJI Care Refresh?
2017-9-23
Use props
SajidShah
lvl.4
Flight distance : 627539 ft
Portugal

that chopper pilot already post his picture in facebook group
2017-9-23
Use props
AlanHd
First Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

What worries me is how many more instances like this before they want to ban drones altogether.
2017-9-23
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Well, that helps the cause.  
2017-9-23
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

AlanHd Posted at 2017-9-23 12:23
What worries me is how many more instances like this before they want to ban drones altogether.

The order of the day ban everything...now be a good little commie and get back to work...

More likely will DJI now restrict us all to 100 feet up and 50 out...
New Phantom 5 will come equipped with IFF Mode C and UHF radio and you'll need a pilot's license to fly it and it will only cost $10,000
2017-9-23
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

OK, Fess up!  Who is the guilty party?
2017-9-23
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

You know I'm betting those motors have a serial number or something like that on them, and I'm sure if the FAA or Army wants to contact DJI they will be more than happy to inform them on who they show owns said motor.
2017-9-23
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-23 12:41
You know I'm betting those motors have a serial number or something like that on them, and I'm sure if the FAA or Army wants to contact DJI they will be more than happy to inform them on who they show owns said motor.

The US Army will have to agree to end their ban on DJI drones before that will happen
2017-9-23
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-9-23 13:00
The US Army will have to agree to end their ban on DJI drones before that will happen

Good point!
2017-9-23
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

It looks like a P4p arm , still has the warning stickers on it

I thought Staten Island was a complete NFZ due to overlapping restricted airspace and 2 airports nearby, this is according to B4UFly

However I have seen videos posted here on Staten Island
Yeah, +1 Alabama,  all P4P pilots in Staten Island prepare for DNA testing
I think DJI could also provide some details to the authorities based on activation and account profiles for the staten island location as well as the serial number trace mentioned by Ghenghis9

2017-9-23
Use props
TN Lone Wolf
lvl.3
Flight distance : 963251 ft
United States

To be honest, I think that helicopter did more damage to the drone than the drone did to it.
2017-9-23
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

TN Lone Wolf Posted at 2017-9-23 14:45
To be honest, I think that helicopter did more damage to the drone than the drone did to it.

I certainly hope so, the Blackhawk is supposedly a battle-hardened aircraft.
2017-9-23
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Here's a bigger pic.  What AC is it from?

...and another...

http://static.lakana.com/media.f ... _ver1.0_640_360.jpg

I'm gonna guess a P4

2017-9-23
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-9-23 15:26
I certainly hope so, the Blackhawk is supposedly a battle-hardened aircraft.

Really...what gave you that idea...

just joshin ya lol
2017-9-23
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-9-23 15:39

[view_image]

Not sure I'd call myself an expert...but I agree with lannes, my guess is a P4P
2017-9-23
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Looks like a P4 to me(just a guess since I've owned a P4 for a few days)
2017-9-23
Use props
Zeldon50
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11634 ft
United States

Actually considering the speeds involved, the drone was struck by the helicopter, not the other way around as portrayed in the article, wouldn't you say?
2017-9-23
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

[view_image]

Aloha Mark,

It looks like it is a P4 series but they do not show the bottom of the motor, and it is seriously damaged, The P4 series has a clear plastic cover for the bottom of the motor.  Each one is different.  Also the vent grills are different.

If anyone can find a photo of the bottom of the arm, an identification might be made.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-9-23
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Cetacean Posted at 2017-9-23 17:06
Aloha Mark,

It looks like it is a P4 series but they do not show the bottom of the motor, and it is seriously damaged, The P4 series has a clear plastic cover for the bottom of the motor.  Each one is different.  Also the vent grills are different.

I've changed my mind it's probably not a P4P as the P4P has a spring on the engine center pin to keep the prop on, the second photo doesn't show a spring, so it's more likely a standard P4
The pilot would be laying low for a while due to the possible charges
2017-9-23
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Zeldon50 Posted at 2017-9-23 16:55
Actually considering the speeds involved, the drone was struck by the helicopter, not the other way around as portrayed in the article, wouldn't you say?

Yes I did say...
2017-9-23
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

lannes Posted at 2017-9-23 18:52
I've changed my mind it's probably not a P4P as the P4P has a spring on the engine center pin to keep the prop on, the second photo doesn't show a spring, so it's more likely a standard P4

I agree to a point, except that spring is long gone...I'll stick with it being a P4P or P4A.
That spring would have come off at impact along with the mounting plate and prop.
2017-9-23
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

lannes Posted at 2017-9-23 18:52

Aloha lannes,

Good eye!  I concur.  When the world gives you lemons, make lemonade.  We only have top views, that spring is the best differentiator and it can be seen from the top.  Now, question is, does the P4 Advanced have the spring?  If not, then it could be either a P4A or P4.  Anyone have a P4A that can check for us?

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-9-23
Use props
fansae594cd8
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3 ft
Australia

Ah thats where my drone got too, I was just trying to take an epic closeup of blackhawk rotor and suddenly lost signal.   Just on a bus to mexico now.
2017-9-23
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Cetacean Posted at 2017-9-23 20:54
Aloha lannes,

Good eye!  I concur.  When the world gives you lemons, make lemonade.  We only have top views, that spring is the best differentiator and it can be seen from the top.  Now, question is, does the P4 Advanced have the spring?  If not, then it could be either a P4A or P4.  Anyone have a P4A that can check for us?

I would say the P4A and the P4P are identical except for the vision systems and the 5.8ghz frequency
2017-9-23
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

This is the guy we are looking for

http://www.silive.com/westshore/ ... rom_apple_stor.html
2017-9-23
Use props
Osee
lvl.2
Flight distance : 530758 ft
United States

I can see the future now -> TSA search and destroy killer drones patrolling the airspace around airports and sensitive facilities -
Shoot to kill on sight -
Kill 'em all and let DJI sort them out - OR NOT !
I am surprised they haven't mandated identification data being included in all drone transmissions yet .
I am sure it will be implemented in the very near future .  It will probably not only ID the drone and pilot, but also the lat lon of the remote controller .
And to go along with that, the killer TSA S & D drones will also detect EVERY known controller signal and zero in on ANY device not transmitting a registered ID ...
Let's go to the next level now - the consumer drone transmitter will not only send user ID and registration information - it will send red alert for any and all percieved violations ...
2017-9-23
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
France

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-9-23 13:00

Are they sure it wasn't a Blue on Blue from one of their own drones?  
2017-9-23
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

lannes Posted at 2017-9-23 21:48
This is the guy we are looking for

http://www.silive.com/westshore/index.ssf/2017/02/theft_of_drone_from_apple_stor.html

Aloha lannes,

Good eye again!  That is a very interesting article.  Have you contacted anyone about your observation?  Even if you just call 911 and ask to speak to a non-emergency police officer, they usually send one to see you.  Alternatively, you could contact UN Security and turn over your information.  All that needs to be done is for someone to connect the dots and look into it.  It may work or it may not work.  But you never know unless someone makes the effort.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-9-23
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 2017-9-23 23:02
Are they sure it wasn't a Blue on Blue from one of their own drones?

They have banned all their own drones so someone is going to be in big trouble for breaking the ban!

Helicopter pilot is already in trouble because although drones are supposed to give way to manned helicopters, that doesn't give the pilot the right to fly into them if they don't.

"a. Aircraft operations for the purpose of air navigation. No person may operate an aircraft in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another."

Also, he shouldn't have been closer than 500ft to the drone or the drone operator:

"c. Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure."

Although it seems likely he was over a congested area, even if he was flying over water near the beach so more likely the rule should be:

"b. Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft."

Seems unlikely he was obeying that one... "An Army Black Hawk helicopter was struck by a drone at approximately 500 feet over a residential neighborhood"

2017-9-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

When ever those army heli's fly around the capital city, during training missions I've seen, are flying in pairs, or four at a time.  
I Can't get to a camera and take a few pics or video, because they don't hang long.

But if I was already outside, and flying an RC, the loud sound of them approaching , would still give me enough time to descend to a safe height.
Or land and wait, until they passed to a safe distance, and then lift off again. ;-)

Like the city police, military Always have the right of way..

RedHotPoker
2017-9-24
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Are drones even allowed up in that region around Staten Island, B4Ufly says its totally restricted, hasn't the drone pilot broken every rule ?
image1.jpg
image2.jpg
2017-9-24
Use props
Epicdoom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 340620 ft
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-23 12:41

no serial number on the motors have one tore apart on my bench. This is unfortunate Because when it comes to Military as you know that's a real Problem. conflicting stories don't help. I sure hope this doesn't become an issue   
2017-9-24
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Epicdoom Posted at 2017-9-24 17:25
no serial number on the motors have one tore apart on my bench. This is unfortunate Because when it comes to Military as you know that's a real Problem. conflicting stories don't help. I sure hope this doesn't become an issue

really I would have bet money they had some kind of ID
well the question comes down to how serious they are to tracking stuff down.  with enough time and effort they could probably figure it out, question is how much effort will they make.
First thing I'd do is determine if the helo crew was where they were supposed to be and their altitude, only because it should be the easiest thing to determine, then go from there.
2017-9-24
Use props
Epicdoom
lvl.4
United States

[view_image]

P4 the motor is sitting up higher then the P3 does on the P3 you cant see those vents
2017-9-24
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Saw on nightly news tonight that they are already searching for pilot.  Just a matter of time.
2017-9-24
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I am going to guess that the helo pilot was not actually at 500' as he states.  
2017-9-24
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-9-24 18:07
I am going to guess that the helo pilot was not actually at 500' as he states.

Agreed.  When incidents like this happen, they all circle the wagons and get their stories straight before landing.  Remember those fighter jocks who flew into a mountainside cable car cable and killed a bunch of people.  They had been taping the whole thing and destroyed the tape before anyone could seize it.

The funny thing about all this is:  They fly these Blackhawks into combat.  But they are getting _way_ worked up about a couple bits of plastic on the transmission deck (whatever that is).  Boy, if I ever turn commie, I know the best way to down a chopper.  Just throw some plastic toys up near the rotor.  Way cheaper than shoulder-fired missles.
2017-9-24
Use props
Epicdoom
lvl.4
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-24 17:32
well the question comes down to how serious they are to tracking stuff down.  with enough time and effort they could probably figure it out, question is how much effort will they make.
First thing I'd do is determine if the helo crew was where they were supposed to be and their altitude, only because it should be the easiest thing to determine, then go from there.

yes sir you know as well as I do if our Government wants to find out what's what and who's who there are unlimited resources to get that job done. going to be interesting to see how it all pans out with just an arm and motor I don't see a way to determine who owned the drone. I bet they do however pay visits to everyone's homes in the area who have bought DJI drones they can obtain that info directly from DJI registration. I wonder if they immediately sent out ground crew to try and recover the rest of the drone. I'm sure they have snatched all video in a ten mile swatch to see if they can find the Pilot carrying or flying the drone at the time of the incident. I have little doubt that someone will be picked up. I will in light of this event make sure I get a bill of sale to prove I sold my drone if I ever decide to do that. CYA golden rule
2017-9-25
Use props
Osee
lvl.2
Flight distance : 530758 ft
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-24 17:32

I get a nice feeling every time I notice someone who knows the difference between a helo and a helli - haha
I know most of the helli guys continue to wonder why we say helo ...

Yeah I know it is just a different label for the same thing, it's just one ex-military man's observation ...
2017-9-29
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules