Invalid battery alarm vision plus
3689 29 2015-4-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
thartiga
lvl.1

United States

First post.  Been flying for over 20 years, control line, planes, cars, heli's.  Recently purchased a phantom Vision plus V3.0.  Put the 2nd and 3rd flights on it this afternoon.  Very impressed with the unit so far.

During the 2nd flight at the end I landed.  As I landed the app alarmed very loudly and said invalid battery.  The battery had about 40% left.  As I powered down the alarm cleared.  The 3rd flight with the other battery went without issues.

1) Should I be concerned?  
2) If this alarmed in flight would it drop out of the sky, or just go home or ???
3) I'm going to try and contact DJI tomorrow, but wanted to see if this is really a concern or fluke.
4) Is there away to run a scan on the battery?

I don't know if this was the battery the first flight was on or not.

Thanks.

Tim

2015-4-5
Use props
Larry L
lvl.3

United States

Tim, hook it up the the assistant software. You can see  how many flights are on the battery & even check the cells.you can see the capacity of each cell. It is not a fail safe but you can see if they are equip or there is a possible problem.  Is it a new setup? If so where did you purchase from? I would be contacting DJI or wherever you purchased it to possibly send me a new battery. It could also be a dirty contact but I would not suspect that if brand new.  During Routine maintenance, you should take a Q-tip dipped in isopropyl alcohol & clean the spring loaded gold tabs on the phantom & where they make contact on the battery.
Good luck & happy flying.
2015-4-5
Use props
thartiga
lvl.1

United States

This is a brand new setup. I purchased it through B&H. I'll give them a call first.  

Thanks.

Tim
2015-4-6
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tim,  You may have a bad cell.  Larry's recommendation is solid.  Check that and then contact B&H they are great dealer and I have used them for cameras many times over the years.  
2015-4-6
Use props
thartiga
lvl.1

United States

Well,  I checked both batteries and the cells seem to be balanced in both packs.  One pack has 1 discharge, the other has 2.  Both at 100% life.  Been sitting here for the last 45 minutes reading and the invalid battery has come up twice, once with each pack.  It pops up on the computer as I have the phantom connected and it pops up on the iPhone.  It only lasts a few seconds and then disappears.  This is with the phantom not moving.  I moved the phantom around and pulled on the battery, but cannot recreate the alarm.

Now I'm nervous to fly

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Tim
2015-4-6
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

thartiga@yahoo. Posted at 2015-4-7 09:44
Well,  I checked both batteries and the cells seem to be balanced in both packs.  One pack has 1 dis ...

If the message is coming up on both batteries, check the 2 little push pins inside the battery compartment.  Make sure they are not sticking at all and make sure the batteries are firmly seated so you hear the click and no space between the battery cap and the Phantom body.
2015-4-6
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

beginning to see many battery warning issues on 2 sites now with many new or nearly new units as well as older ones.

Is it possible 3.12 did some fine tuning of battery parameters and maybe any possible adjustments need readjusted.

I just had this same typw warning with 1 month old battery and 70% level, I blamed dirty contacts but maybe...... not
2015-4-6
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

kirk2579@aol.co Posted at 2015-4-7 10:03
beginning to see many battery warning issues on 2 sites now with many new or nearly new units as wel ...

I still have 3 good batteries out of 4 I started with almost 1 year ago.  I dropped the 4th one off the table and get "damaged cell" now.
2015-4-6
Use props
thartiga
lvl.1

United States

I checked the contacts and seem to move with spring force and clean. The batteries are tight. I tried pulling without pushing the tabs but could not recreate the alarms.

If this happens in flight what is the result?  Will the bird return home or just defend?

A little nervous now.
2015-4-6
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

thartiga@yahoo. Posted at 2015-4-7 10:18
I checked the contacts and seem to move with spring force and clean. The batteries are tight. I trie ...

Well, I'm not sure what would happen if that happened in flight, but I would fly very low and slow with each battery once to see if it will come back on. Something in the altitude of 3 feet maybe until the battery is low.
Is the battery terminal inside the Phantom secure and tight?  It's only held in by 2 small screws and the wires are all soldered.
2015-4-6
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-4-7 10:06
I still have 3 good batteries out of 4 I started with almost 1 year ago.  I dropped the 4th one of ...

we would definitely have diferent loader and firmware on the newer batteries from those you would have if they are nearly a year old.

almost helps to confirm firmware, updates on batteries etc being a bit of the cause of recent newer batteries having issues. I am checking everything as far as mine but this week alone this has come up a bunch it appears
2015-4-6
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
United States

thartiga@yahoo. Posted at 2015-4-7 10:18
I checked the contacts and seem to move with spring force and clean. The batteries are tight. I trie ...

I don't know the answer to that but I can tell you when I got a warning yesterday about not enough battery to return home
I dropped my plus as fast it would go while bringing in to me. Tip off small branch at end but all better than falling from 100m

I did not want to be the one to give you the definitive answer
2015-4-6
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

kirk2579@aol.co Posted at 2015-4-7 10:24
we would definitely have diferent loader and firmware on the newer batteries from those you would  ...

Mine have all been updated to the 2.6 firmware on the batteries.
2015-4-6
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

This is my upgrade page
upgrade page.jpg
2015-4-6
Use props
smatchet42
lvl.2

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-4-7 10:32
This is my upgrade page

Your batteries must all be V1. It's a completely different firmware for V2.0 batteries.
2015-4-6
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

smatchet42@hotm Posted at 2015-4-7 11:28
Your batteries must all be V1. It's a completely different firmware for V2.0 batteries.

Right now, they are all updated to the automatic discharge after 10 days.
2015-4-6
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

here is the batteries I have
battery 2 after charge.jpg
battery 3 after charge.jpg
battery 4 after charge.jpg
2015-4-6
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-4-7 11:36

yea my firmware is not the same as yours , I think they pulled 2.6 abit ago

for a year old those batteries look awesome,  Mine are all since Jan and have far greater % life gone. and over 20 discharge times.

How the hec do you fly a year with almost no use showing, I am jealous  I want your 2.6 firmware
2015-4-6
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

kirk2579@aol.co Posted at 2015-4-7 13:39
yea my firmware is not the same as yours , I think they pulled 2.6 abit ago

for a year old those  ...

I got the 2.6 when the original 3.8 upgrade came out with the battery update to automatically discharge after 10 days.  Before that update came out,  they were always charged full for almost 8 months.
2015-4-6
Use props
thartiga
lvl.1

United States

Both of my batteries say v2.0 and are up to date via assistant.
2015-4-7
Use props
adrianjacobs
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I got the "Invalid Battery" warning again last night (V2.0 battery).  Fortunately it was on the ground at the time.  I left it for a few seconds and the warning went, and it then flew just fine.
2015-4-7
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-4-6 21:36
Tim,  You may have a bad cell.  Larry's recommendation is solid.  Check that and then contact B&H th ...

Tahoe

Hey I see you visit the forums here abit.

I really would like to ask you to have your engineers look at just what is happening with recent reports of battery connection, warning, failures, and sudden loss of power.
There are far to many reports  from far too many EXPERIENCED users as well a new users.  It has appeared more so since 3.12 to me

This is a REAL and serious issue and one beyond our, the users, control

For these to work we MUST TRUST the batteries to hold up and not give false alerts' and signals.

2015-4-7
Use props
smatchet42
lvl.2

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-4-7 11:36

Don't get to fly much, do you. I have more flights on just one of my batteries, than your total of all three batteries, and I've only been flying since Feb. this year. {:3_61:} The firmware on all my batteries is like 1.0.0.8. Don't hold me to that exact number, 'cause I was not hooked up to Assistant. Just pulled the number from memory, and that ain't always real good anymore.
2015-4-7
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

smatchet42@hotm Posted at 2015-4-8 01:28
Don't get to fly much, do you. I have more flights on just one of my batteries, than your total of ...

Either high winds or deep snow.  That keeps me from being in the air.
2015-4-7
Use props
smatchet42
lvl.2

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-4-8 03:03
Either high winds or deep snow.  That keeps me from being in the air.

High winds I can identify with, snow, what's that?
2015-4-7
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

smatchet42@hotm Posted at 2015-4-8 05:42
High winds I can identify with, snow, what's that?

That's all the white stuff that Santa lands on.
2015-4-7
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

this stuff is what they call snow
10373613_807568632634613_2008073912473127890_n.jpg
2015-4-7
Use props
thartiga
lvl.1

United States

Well I got the alarm in flight only said battery connection error fly safely.  I don't recall the loud buzzer. The bird flashed red all 4 corners. Nothing really happened.  I was hovering and decided to land right there but as I started to decend the alarm cleared and I finished out the flight. Did another flight with the other battery with no alarms.

I feel better that it is only a nuisance alarm and the quad didn't loose control or it landed itself.

2015-4-16
Use props
thartiga
lvl.1

United States

Well I got the alarm in flight only said battery connection error fly safely.  I don't recall the loud buzzer. The bird flashed red all 4 corners. Nothing really happened.  I was hovering and decided to land right there but as I started to decend the alarm cleared and I finished out the flight. Did another flight with the other battery with no alarms.

I feel better that it is only a nuisance alarm and the quad didn't loose control or it landed itself.

2015-4-16
Use props
jonnied2010
lvl.3

United States

I get the Invalid Battery alarm also on my Phantom2 Vision+ Ver. 3 with all of the latest firmware updates, I have 2 batteries that came with the Phantom from B&H and 2 new batteries from B&H I just received.
The original batteries have 10 charges on them and the new batteries have 2 charges. I see this warning sometimes when connected to the Assistant software and sometimes during flight. Not all the time though. This is what I got last night doing a 360 Deg. yaw. Is this something to be concerned about. It just pops up and disappears.
Has anyone figured this out yet. I clean the terminals and contacts with a q-tip and contact cleaner often.
2015-6-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules