Prepping for 107 license "I live in South Florida"
666 14 2017-9-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dremundo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 144541 ft
United States

Hello all, just wanted to see which MP pilots have successfully passed or have a 107 license??? If anyone can give some insight, tips, or drop some links for resources... If anyone in the south Florida (Broward) area has passed please let me know. I have been offered a handful of opportunities but have had to turn them down due to now having the 107, so now I think im ready to study and take it...
2017-9-25
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

I took the test earlier this year and passed.  I used the Gleim online course because I've been using their printed books for FAA written exams for almost 30 years and always had good results.  Studied my *** off just because it would píss me off if I missed any questions on an FAA exam (which had never happened, fortunately).

Well I went in there to take the test and many of the questions were NOTHING like what the Gleim questions were like!  The full text of the material covered most things but not all, but the Gleim practice exams were completely worthless compared to the real test.  If I wasn't already a real pilot I think I would have gotten a pretty shítty score on that test, even after spending so many hours studying.  I ended up missing 2 questions and was ticked off that I spent money on a study course that didn't prepare me for the test in the least.

Here's a small tip:  There's a printed book in the exam room with all the diagrams and sectional snippets and such.  They do give you the figures on the computer screen but they are unreadable low-res versions.  Nobody really told me about that printed book so it took me a few minutes to figure out how in the heck I was supposed to read the pixelated small numbers on the sectionals.
2017-9-25
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

This is a good study video, passed mine with no problem. Just remember the license is just the tip of the iceberg, you will still need to purchase commercial Aviation Insurance for property damage/liability, medical & hull coverage, check your county for required business tax license ( I live in Volusia ), register a factious name with FL Division of Corporations ( even if you are a sole proprietorship ) it is required before you can open a checking account in your business name because no one will assume liability or write you a check for services provided without these requirements except maybe Grandma who wants some aerial footage of her 93rd birthday !

2017-9-25
Use props
Dremundo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 144541 ft
United States

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-9-25 11:02
I took the test earlier this year and passed.  I used the Gleim online course because I've been using their printed books for FAA written exams for almost 30 years and always had good results.  Studied my *** off just because it would píss me off if I missed any questions on an FAA exam (which had never happened, fortunately).

Well I went in there to take the test and many of the questions were NOTHING like what the Gleim questions were like!  The full text of the material covered most things but not all, but the Gleim practice exams were completely worthless compared to the real test.  If I wasn't already a real pilot I think I would have gotten a pretty shítty score on that test, even after spending so many hours studying.  I ended up missing 2 questions and was ticked off that I spent money on a study course that didn't prepare me for the test in the least.

Thank you for confirming that information, I have read and heard of being able to use a book but never confirmed it with anyone.
2017-9-25
Use props
MAStetz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 26316 ft
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2017-9-25 11:18
This is a good study video, passed mine with no problem. Just remember the license is just the tip of the iceberg, you will still need to purchase commercial Aviation Insurance for property damage/liability, medical & hull coverage, check your county for required business tax license ( I live in Volusia ), register a factious name with FL Division of Corporations ( even if you are a sole proprietorship ) it is required before you can open a checking account in your business name because no one will assume liability or write you a check for services provided without these requirements except maybe Grandma who wants some aerial footage of her 93rd birthday !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_ucCKFJUCU

This is the longest most boring video of all time!! but honestly i think this is what gave me my 93% on my part 107
2017-9-25
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

Dremundo Posted at 2017-9-25 11:25
Thank you for confirming that information, I have read and heard of being able to use a book but never confirmed it with anyone.

A book to help you find the answers while taking the test?
2017-9-25
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
United States

rolling56 Posted at 2017-9-25 13:25
A book to help you find the answers while taking the test?

The book they provide is just a book with sectional charts & plotting information as many of the questions require referencing this info to answer the question.
2017-9-25
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2017-9-25 13:37
The book they provide is just a book with sectional charts & plotting information as many of the questions require referencing this info to answer the question.

Yeah.  And here's another related tip for taking any FAA written exam relating to that book:  Often times you can find the answers to questions by going through that book and looking at figures that aren't even related to the question.  The page with the sectional legend is a huge help.  Or if you forget the common boundaries of a certain class of airspace you can just flip through the pages and look at actual airports.  Endless answers hidden in there if you're having trouble with a question.

I will say that these tests were a lot easier back when they used to publish the entire question pool in advance.  It's probably for the best that they don't do that anymore.

By the way, they took my cell phone away from me before I started the test so I couldn't cheat.   I guess they thought I looked pretty shifty-eyed.  If I wanted to cheat I'd just store the answers in my graphing calculator like we did back in school.  Kids these days.
2017-9-25
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
United States

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-9-25 13:51
Yeah.  And here's another related tip for taking any FAA written exam relating to that book:  Often times you can find the answers to questions by going through that book and looking at figures that aren't even related to the question.  The page with the sectional legend is a huge help.  Or if you forget the common boundaries of a certain class of airspace you can just flip through the pages and look at actual airports.  Endless answers hidden in there if you're having trouble with a question.

I will say that these tests were a lot easier back when they used to publish the entire question pool in advance.  It's probably for the best that they don't do that anymore.

Yup took mine as well, gave me a Texas Instruments ( 1970's Model ) calculator to do the math
2017-9-25
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

So every 2 years you have to test again and spend another $150?
2017-9-25
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
United States

rolling56 Posted at 2017-9-25 14:08

I was told it was just a refresher test, less questions and if I remember he said it was like $50, gonna follow up on that.
2017-9-25
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

There are a lot of good courses out there.......Flyaerodrome.com and Sporty's Pilot Shop to name a couple.
I studied on my own and read twice cover to cover the Pilot’s Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge.  I also read Airman Knowledge Testing Supplement for Sport Pilot, Recreational Pilot, and Private Pilot.

I have a colleague  that is doing one of the many online courses, and we will see how that goes.

The test is 60 questions and you have to go to an FAA authorized testing center.  They give you 2 hours to complete the computer test and you are only allowed to use the materials they give you as well as pencils they supply, that you can use to mark on the materials and calculate certain equations.  No cell phones or material you bring in.

70% is a passing score, and if you fail you can retest in 14 days...........of course you have to pay the $150 again which is a bummer.
2017-9-25
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

rolling56 Posted at 2017-9-25 14:08

License is good for 3 years from date of issue.
2017-9-25
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

Tmygun Posted at 2017-9-25 15:05
read twice cover to cover the Pilot’s Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge.  I also read Airman Knowledge Testing Supplement for Sport Pilot, Recreational Pilot, and Private Pilot.

You didn't read the FAR/AIM cover to cover as well?  Slacker!  How are you going to know what to do when your drone is intercepted by F-15's?  Or what the hand signal is for "please send a cocktail waitress to my aircraft on the fuel truck"?  There's a lot of good info in there that you'll never need to know.  But if you don't know it, you won't know that you don't know it.
2017-9-25
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-9-25 15:19
You didn't read the FAR/AIM cover to cover as well?  Slacker!  How are you going to know what to do when your drone is intercepted by F-15's?  Or what the hand signal is for "please send a cocktail waitress to my aircraft on the fuel truck"?  There's a lot of good info in there that you'll never need to know.  But if you don't know it, you won't know that you don't know it.

I bow to indisputable insight........now my 5 sisters are going to beat up on me even more!
There goes my self esteem!  
2017-9-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules