Help understanding Active Track Profile Mode
5671 17 2017-9-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

I read about Profile mode in active track and was really excited to use it.  I went to a wide open park area, but failed to get it working as I think it should.  My understanding is that I could put my Mavic right alongside me, have it focus on me, and it would continue to fly with me at that side ways orientation while I moved forward.  In the park, however, it simply kept circuling around behind me as I moved forward.    Can I get some  help in understanding what I need to do (or if I am misunderstanding what Profile mode does?)
Thanks in advance.
2017-9-25
Use props
ars.fabula
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2108435 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

I'm assuming you were at walking speed ?
Make sure that the "Enable fly backwards" option is enabled in the Visual Navigation Settings

give a moment to the drone to evaluate your speed and start by walking at a constant speed in a straight line.

It should follow nicely like this example:

2017-9-25
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
United States

ars.fabula Posted at 2017-9-25 19:53
I'm assuming you were at walking speed ?
Make sure that the "Enable fly backwards" option is enabled in the Visual Navigation Settings

Thank you for your response and the video.  I checked and did NOT have the "fly backwards" option enabled, so I just made that change.  I also had "enable obstacle avoidance"  turned off for active track as well.  Should that be turned on?  I thought I remembered reading somewhere to never turn that one on.
Meanwhile, yes, I did my attempts at a slow walking pace.  But I noticed that, in your video, the quad dropped behind you as you moved out, then flew past you after a bit.  Further, when you made that left turn, it seemed to go into "follow from behind" mode.  The video stopped at that point, so I could not see if the quad sped up and resumed its former "beside you" position.
2017-9-25
Use props
ars.fabula
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2108435 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

I have all the Visual Avoidance option enabled , for me it helps preserve the Mavic ;) The AT (whatever the mode) does not like sharp movements (such as a motorbike starting off suddenly or sharp turns). In my video after the sharp turn, there where some trees nearby, so I interrupted the flight,  but it would have catch up if my speed in not too high.
2017-9-26
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Please refer to the tutorial below. If it won't work for you, please provide us with an operating video. Thank you so much.
2017-9-26
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-26 22:37
Please refer to the tutorial below. If it won't work for you, please provide us with an operating video. Thank you so much.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRlzsi0OjDs

Went out again and got it working like I wanted.   I found that if I frame myself NOT in the center, but to the side of the frame, the quad will fly slightly ahead of 90 degrees in profile mode.  Thanks very much for the ver quick response and the appropriate video.  
2017-9-27
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2017-9-27 11:02
Went out again and got it working like I wanted.   I found that if I frame myself NOT in the center, but to the side of the frame, the quad will fly slightly ahead of 90 degrees in profile mode.  Thanks very much for the ver quick response and the appropriate video.

Glad to know and thank you for your feedback, maybe when the next time people ask this question, I can get this as one of the troubleshooting then. Happy flying.
2017-9-28
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-28 02:38
Glad to know and thank you for your feedback, maybe when the next time people ask this question, I can get this as one of the troubleshooting then. Happy flying.

Great, I hope that works for you.  And, as my father said, "Good work brings more work".  So, another problem I hope you can help with.  I started with a Phantom and then added a Mavic.  My account here shows the Phantom icon beneath my name in the left column, but not the Mavic.  My total flight miles, however, include my Mavic distances (which is what I've been flying almost exclusively for 3 months).   Any suggestion on how to also show the Mavic icon beneath my name?  I did buy it new.
2017-9-28
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2017-9-28 07:26
Great, I hope that works for you.  And, as my father said, "Good work brings more work".  So, another problem I hope you can help with.  I started with a Phantom and then added a Mavic.  My account here shows the Phantom icon beneath my name in the left column, but not the Mavic.  My total flight miles, however, include my Mavic distances (which is what I've been flying almost exclusively for 3 months).   Any suggestion on how to also show the Mavic icon beneath my name?  I did buy it new.

If the account you activated the drone is the same as the account you log in the forum, it should be shown. Had you synced all the flight records to the cloud? And if you had, please wait for about 1-2 weeks then it will show. If it keeps hiding, please PM me your activated account and your drone's serial number, I'll help to check.
2017-9-29
Use props
Paul Stocum
lvl.2
Flight distance : 334662 ft
United States

Hi, I'm jumping on to try and figure out what I am doing wrong.

I followed the tips above, set the Mavic Air to my side.  I pressed "Active Track" then selected "profile" mode.  I boxed myself to get the green highlight box around me.  Once I start moving, the drone stays in the same static position, but will follow me as if I am in "spotlight" mode.  I've double checked I'm in the correct mode serveral times and I get the same result every time.

What can I be doing wrong?  Sample vid to follow.
2018-3-24
Use props
Paul Stocum
lvl.2
United States

2018-3-24
Use props
Paul Stocum
lvl.2
United States

Bump.  Can anyone help me with my inability to get my Air to "profile" track?
2018-3-26
Use props
IceBox-Murdock
lvl.4
Flight distance : 43845 ft
  • >>>
United States

These videos makes me want to try it when I fly my drone next time. I will give an input.
2018-3-26
Use props
Paul Stocum
lvl.2
United States

IceBox-Murdock Posted at 2018-3-26 11:49
These videos makes me want to try it when I fly my drone next time. I will give an input.

I've searched this forum, youtube, and the web in general to find an answer.  I'm thinking this a problem unique to me, or what I am doing wrong.  Because I am not finding anything to help me out.
2018-3-26
Use props
Paul Stocum
lvl.2
United States

I did notice another thread about this topic, and the problem was he wasn't high enough (the drone lol).  I've tried a varying heights and can not get it to profile me.
2018-3-26
Use props
B4114M
New

Paul Stocum Posted at 2018-3-26 15:28
I did notice another thread about this topic, and the problem was he wasn't high enough (the drone lol).  I've tried a varying heights and can not get it to profile me.

Did you ever fix this? Looks like you were stuck in spotlight mode.
2018-5-6
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

B4114M Posted at 2018-5-6 01:33
Did you ever fix this? Looks like you were stuck in spotlight mode.

I suspect the OP forgot to tap on 'GO' after highlighting himself. If you do not tap 'GO' then the camera will follow your position but the aircraft will not move, as far as I remember :-)
2018-5-7
Use props
Am Himphrey
New

Cameroon

Please i need help, anytime am on YouTube watching Mavic Pro tutorials i see Other modes like PROFILE AND TRACE but when i Tap on Active Track all what i get is Spotlight. it doesn't even show Sport light  but i know because the drone doesn't move but it tracks so well by staying on the same spot . Please I need Help. Thank You
2023-8-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules