SPARK warranty - fell in water
4454 31 2017-9-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_LVMEdhY
lvl.2
United States

Hi everyone.

I was flying my spark  and it gave me a low battery warning. So the spark starting flying back to me. As it got closer, I knew it was on the way to hit the rail. I held the toggle up so the spark would fly up and not hit the rail, unfortunately, it wouldnt move and just kept flying straight to the rail. It hit the rail and fell into the sea water below. After 2 days of letting the spark dry, i popped in the battery and turned it on. The spark started smoking up and now the battery is fried too.

I contacted DJI support and they said: you can send your drone directly to our US repair Facility to enjoy the warranty service. Meaning that they will cover this under warranty. Problem is that I purchased the spark in Canada and now I am in China. I will have to pay for the shipping costs from china to usa which im completely fine with.

However, its been 3 days since the dji supports last reply. Im really hoping to get this done so i can start using the spark asap! Any advice?
2017-9-29
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Since it dropped into the water, If it was not caused by user error, I would recommend you contact our support and start a case first and export the data for us to analyze.
Here is the link: http://www.dji.com/support.  Please keep us updated, if you have any question.
2017-9-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

That’s dji’s position regards country of purchase it’s a bit of an anomaly and needs changing.
2017-9-29
Use props
cbaabc
lvl.1
Taiwan

Seems like you need to cancel RTH first to gain control?
2017-9-29
Use props
ped078
lvl.4
Flight distance : 565794 ft
United Kingdom

cbaabc Posted at 2017-9-29 04:42
Seems like you need to cancel RTH first to gain control?

No you don't, user inputs override RTH.
2017-9-29
Use props
djiuser_LVMEdhY
lvl.2
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-9-29 03:09
Since it dropped into the water, If it was not caused by user error, I would recommend you contact our support and start a case first and export the data for us to analyze.
Here is the link: http://www.dji.com/support.  Please keep us updated, if you have any question.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngEHdAlAh9A

ive exported the flight data and gave all the details to  dji support team. now 3 days and im still waiting for a reply. i really  want the spark to be fixed ASAP so i can start flying again!
2017-9-29
Use props
djiuser_LVMEdhY
lvl.2
United States

ped078 Posted at 2017-9-29 05:28
No you don't, user inputs override RTH.

i tried making the spark fly upwards to avoid hitting the rail but it wouldnt work. it litterally just slowly flew right to the rail then dropped into the sea
2017-9-29
Use props
bluesky2017
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1004560 ft
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-9-29 03:09
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngEHdAlAh9A

Just curious why we need to do any explicit data export and upload...
If one does a sync on flight records on his/her DJI GO 4 app, the flight data is uploaded to a server that DJI support can access, right?  We just need to tell your support which row on which date to look for the flight data.
2017-9-29
Use props
djiuser_LVMEdhY
lvl.2
United States

i provided all this information to dji support via email and im still waiting for a reply really want to get this thing fixed !!

【Delivery address & country】:
【Contact person】:
【Phone number】:
【Purchase invoice】:Invoice attached to us
【Purchase Channel】:Dealer's name or Order number if you purchased from DJI.com
【SN】:SN of the drone and remote controller

【The DJI GO APP ID/email account please】:
【The specific date and time of the crash】:
【Please manual export to related accident synchronize record and send it to us 】:

【 Description what you did to try and regain control】:
【Video Cached】: (Applicable if you are recording during the accident, please refer to the attachment and export it from your mobile device and upload to Google Drive/Dropbox.)
2017-9-29
Use props
cbaabc
lvl.1
Taiwan

Mine dropped from the sky and lost, the last second on my flight log is 20mph, they say don't have all the accident data, gave me 30% discount on new purchase which I just purchase 2309rmb = 350usd  
Damn!  I could've gotten a G7X for vlogging
It's bad warranty/support the log data clearly show drone just died/lost power, the last second was 20mph then nothing.
2017-9-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

djiuser_LVMEdhY Posted at 2017-9-29 05:40
i tried making the spark fly upwards to avoid hitting the rail but it wouldnt work. it litterally just slowly flew right to the rail then dropped into the sea

You should have pressed pause button or X to cancel your AC would have hovered, pause is something a lot forget about, it’s a real friend.
2017-9-29
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-9-29 07:58
You should have pressed pause button or X to cancel your AC would have hovered, pause is something a lot forget about, it’s a real friend.

My recommendation to all is to take some time and spend some flights experimenting and practicing the various scenarios.  It is one thing to read the manual and think/believe that one has an understanding of all the functionality, it is quite another thing to be in the middle of a flight and be forced to react to unexpected circumstances.

I won't go into detail here (I've another post on the topic), but there are biological reasons why flight mistakes can and do happen in high stress situations.  The best preparation to cope with these situations is practice and training.

If I'm not flying to take pictures or videos, I'm flying to practice various maneuvers or experiment with functionality so that I have experience to draw upon in the event that I face a "high stress" event.  That's my "flying for fun".
2017-9-29
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

bluesky2017 Posted at 2017-9-29 05:56
Just curious why we need to do any explicit data export and upload...
If one does a sync on flight records on his/her DJI GO 4 app, the flight data is uploaded to a server that DJI support can access, right?  We just need to tell your support which row on which date to look for the flight data.

There is a lot more data than just the flightlogs, that's why. You can export the blackbox yourself with DJI Assistant and save it locally. Then you'll see how much additional data there is.
2017-9-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-9-29 08:25
My recommendation to all is to take some time and spend some flights experimenting and practicing the various scenarios.  It is one thing to read the manual and think/believe that one has an understanding of all the functionality, it is quite another thing to be in the middle of a flight and be forced to react to unexpected circumstances.

I won't go into detail here (I've another post on the topic), but there are biological reasons why flight mistakes can and do happen in high stress situations.  The best preparation to cope with these situations is practice and training.

Your so right Charles, I think most of us who do read manual forget half of it once we close the last page. But it should become your main reference.
Practicing flying is the real way to get used to the pitfalls that may occur and how to avert them from happening, you must do it to get it into your mind and let it become something you do naturally without to much thinking,
2017-9-29
Use props
cbaabc
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-9-29 08:28
There is a lot more data than just the flightlogs, that's why. You can export the blackbox yourself with DJI Assistant and save it locally. Then you'll see how much additional data there is.

Is the black box data in the drone or phone?  my drone is lost.
2017-9-29
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

cbaabc Posted at 2017-9-29 11:04

Yes the black box data is in the Spark and I have read that your's is lost and that you therefore cannot retrieve this data. But I had responded to the question of another user wondering which data is available apart from the flightlogs.
Your particular case is very special and on the basis of very limited data provided/available, I am not in a position to provide sensible feedback but prefer to leave this task to DJI support. They have much more possibilities than us simple co-users of the Spark.
2017-9-29
Use props
brian_b
lvl.2
United States

DO you mean it's been three days since you sent it? You should be getting emails on their repair progress likely after the 4th day. I sent mine from Hawai‘i to the CA repair facility. The got it on the 3rd day, and it was returned to my on the 7th day. It might still be in transit.
2017-9-29
Use props
djiuser_LVMEdhY
lvl.2
United States

brian_b Posted at 2017-9-29 15:36
DO you mean it's been three days since you sent it? You should be getting emails on their repair progress likely after the 4th day. I sent mine from Hawai‘i to the CA repair facility. The got it on the 3rd day, and it was returned to my on the 7th day. It might still be in transit.

its been 3, sorry 4 now, since their last EMAIL REPLY. The last email was them asking for more information which I have provided them. I just want them to email me back and tell me what the next step is so i can quickly get it shipped to USA repair center (or whereever in the world) so i can get my spark fixed ASAP!!
2017-9-29
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

djiuser_LVMEdhY Posted at 2017-9-29 21:55
its been 3, sorry 4 now, since their last EMAIL REPLY. The last email was them asking for more information which I have provided them. I just want them to email me back and tell me what the next step is so i can quickly get it shipped to USA repair center (or whereever in the world) so i can get my spark fixed ASAP!!

Sir, could you tell us your ticket number or email address? I'd like to check the current status. Thanks for your cooperation.
2017-9-29
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

cbaabc Posted at 2017-9-29 11:04

Have you contacted our Support? Please kindly offer your case number, I'd like to look into it.
2017-9-29
Use props
djiuser_LVMEdhY
lvl.2
China

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-9-29 22:23
Have you contacted our Support? Please kindly offer your case number, I'd like to look into it.

hi yes i have contacted dji support. here: Your request(#757850)
2017-9-30
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

djiuser_LVMEdhY Posted at 2017-9-30 00:19
hi yes i have contacted dji support. here: Your request(#757850)

Well received, thank you very much! I have forwarded it to the designated team, they will check and contact you soon. Hopefully we can figure it out soon. Appreciate your time and patience.
2017-9-30
Use props
Sassafras4me
lvl.2
United States

djiuser_LVMEdhY Posted at 2017-9-29 21:55

I put in a support request via the website and got my RMA # within minutes. I immediately box it and drove it to UPS. Shipping from NJ to CA took one week (painfully slow). Roughly speaking it took a week to evaluate, a week to fix, and another half week to come back. All told the process took just shy of a month.

Gripes were the speed, no feedback or analysis given regarding the crash, NO opportunity to decline using the insurance "life" for the repair and pay out of pocket (the repairs were only around $100). No opportunity to PAY for quicker shipping.

Nice surprises were how reasonable the repair and parts are. I had one motor, needed a new frame, a new cover plate, new props... which all came to around $100. Thank you DJI for NOT gouging folks on the repairs!

So... I can't imagine the process taking less than two weeks, and you may be looking at twice that. My take-away from my situation was that I needed to buy a second Spark to have as a backup. The process is poky.
2017-9-30
Use props
djiuser_LVMEdhY
lvl.2
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-9-30 01:38
Well received, thank you very much! I have forwarded it to the designated team, they will check and contact you soon. Hopefully we can figure it out soon. Appreciate your time and patience.

still no email.. i really want to get my spark fixed ASAP!!
2017-10-1
Use props
mattbrown
lvl.1
Flight distance : 75459 ft
United States

I've been going back and fourth with DJI for over fours months. Still waiting to get a straight answer.DJI support needs help.
2017-10-1
Use props
djiuser_LVMEdhY
lvl.2
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-9-30 01:38

STILL nothing from dji support even after i provided ALL information to them. Their last message to me was: "contacted DJI support and they said: you can send your drone directly to our US repair Facility to enjoy the warranty service. "

SO this means dji accepts my drone under warranty? So why cant they tell me the next step?! its been a week since their last reply (emailed them 3 times during these 7 days). I mean.. if its accepted under warranty, why cant they just tell me where to send it to?!?! The drone wouldve already arrived at the repair center already!!!

This is REALLY frustrating. I was actually loving my spark too but DJIs support really needs to be fixed. If this continues, this will definitely lose me as a customer indefinitely.
2017-10-2
Use props
djiuser_LVMEdhY
lvl.2
United States

Im going to thailand tonight and going to bring the broken drone. IF i get their repair center to fix it (and i pay for it), can i get compensated for these repairs?
2017-10-2
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Sassafras4me Posted at 2017-9-30 03:23
I put in a support request via the website and got my RMA # within minutes. I immediately box it and drove it to UPS. Shipping from NJ to CA took one week (painfully slow). Roughly speaking it took a week to evaluate, a week to fix, and another half week to come back. All told the process took just shy of a month.

Gripes were the speed, no feedback or analysis given regarding the crash, NO opportunity to decline using the insurance "life" for the repair and pay out of pocket (the repairs were only around $100). No opportunity to PAY for quicker shipping.

I'm sorry to read your post. Could you tell me your case number? I'll check the exact status and see what can I do for you.
2017-10-9
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

djiuser_LVMEdhY Posted at 2017-10-2 01:30
STILL nothing from dji support even after i provided ALL information to them. Their last message to me was: "contacted DJI support and they said: you can send your drone directly to our US repair Facility to enjoy the warranty service. "

SO this means dji accepts my drone under warranty? So why cant they tell me the next step?! its been a week since their last reply (emailed them 3 times during these 7 days). I mean.. if its accepted under warranty, why cant they just tell me where to send it to?!?! The drone wouldve already arrived at the repair center already!!!

Sorry for the late response due to the holiday first. Data analysis is recommended to check whether it is a warranty case or not. Then we will offer you the corresponding solutions according to the analysis result and guide you the next steps. I sincerely apologize for all inconvenience and would like to try our best to help you. The relevant team will keep in touch with you for further follow-up.  
2017-10-9
Use props
BrettLemmer
New
Flight distance : 16690 ft
United Kingdom

djiuser_LVMEdhY Posted at 2017-10-2 01:30

Hi, I had a very similar issue. My Spark flew away and thus lost it. Logged with DJI and yes got a new one but the whole process took 2 months! They are pretty bad at replying back to you and some emails took as long as a week to get a reply back from them, really not the best
2017-10-9
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

BrettLemmer Posted at 2017-10-9 07:10
Hi, I had a very similar issue. My Spark flew away and thus lost it. Logged with DJI and yes got a new one but the whole process took 2 months! They are pretty bad at replying back to you and some emails took as long as a week to get a reply back from them, really not the best

I apologize for the inconvenience. It's nice that you have got the new one finally. We are trying to optimize the service and would like to help more valued customers. If you met the similar situations in the future, feel free to contact us to accelerate the progress, we'd like to help. As always, we appreciate your time and understanding.
2017-10-10
Use props
luis1800
New
Flight distance : 89423 ft
United States

Hi, I'm very disappointed to write this message, as I lost my DJI Spark after a few successful flights. Today I flew it as usually and the RTH malfunctioned and made my Spark land in the middle of the river instead of returning to its home position, I tried to save it but the battery drained before I could manually bring it to shore,  the drone fell in the river just a few feet from me, it's a deep river so I couldn't even rescue the damaged drone and just let it sink.  I was told I can report this issue to DJI since this was a product malfunction and lost it while I'm still haven't even finish paying for it and it was only one month old and flew it three times. I hope you can DJI stand for their product and offer me a replacement.

2018-9-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules