Phantom 3 Standar RC link issue when powering up
1295 15 2017-9-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Doomer1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 14226 ft
United States

Everytime I power on the remote and the drone I get a RClink error. I can then manually connect them and the drone flies perfectly fine. I have noticed that the firmware for my remote is 1.7.90 and my drone is 1.9.90. When I do a firmware refresh through the app it does not apply any new firmware to the remote. How can I update/refresh my remote firmware to fix this issue. Is there a updated remote firmware?

Also when the app comes up I am getting video and data from the drone, this RC link issue apparently only impacts the flight controls.

2017-9-30
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

Your firmware may not be up to date. Please review this link to see the latest version on firmware: http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_3_standard/20170623/Phantom_3_Standard_Release_Notes_EN.pdf
2017-9-30
Use props
Doomer1
lvl.1
United States

the link brings me back here? I do think the firmware on the remote is the issue. When I go to the app and hold to top right corner for 5 seconds with just the remote connected I see that the firmware is 1.7.90. It offers to let me download and install 1.9.90. I do the download and it does its install graphic. I hear the remote beep a few times and it says to restart to enable the firmware. I restart the remote and go back and it still says 1.7.90.
2017-9-30
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

Doomer1 Posted at 2017-9-30 15:41
the link brings me back here? I do think the firmware on the remote is the issue. When I go to the app and hold to top right corner for 5 seconds with just the remote connected I see that the firmware is 1.7.90. It offers to let me download and install 1.9.90. I do the download and it does its install graphic. I hear the remote beep a few times and it says to restart to enable the firmware. I restart the remote and go back and it still says 1.7.90.

Sorry for the confusion. I updated the link to the correct one.
2017-9-30
Use props
Doomer1
lvl.1
United States

Okay so I confirmed that the release I need per this document is 1.9.90. I need to understand now why the remote will not allow me to update to it. Are them alternative ways to load the firmware?

Overview
1. All-in-One firmware Version: v1.9.20
2. DJI GO app iOS Version: v3.1.11
3. DJI GO app Android Version: v3.1.5
What’s New
1. Updated No-Fly Zone Management.
2. For increased safety, the flight is restricted to a height of 30 m and distance of 50 m when not
connected or logged into the app during flight, including DJI GO and all apps compatible with DJI
aircraft.
Notes
 Please note that firmware update may reset various Main Controller Settings, such as the RTH Altitude
and Maximum Flight Distance, to factory defaults. Before the update, take note of your preferred DJI
GO settings, and readjust them after the update to suit your preference.
 DO NOT turn off the remote controller or exit the DJI GO app during the update process.
2017-9-30
Use props
stuka75
Second Officer
Flight distance : 85682 ft
United States

Something is amiss here. First of all the app only shows the version of firmware and app version when both remote and ac are powered on. There is Not a separate line for remote firmware version and ac firmware. They are the same. That said, you do not mention the ac being on after downloading the updated firmware and initating the update/downgrade.. Both the ac and remote must be turned to upgrade or downgrade firmware during the entire process..  When upgrading/downgrade firmware leave the both the remote and ac alone and a cooking fan on the camera until the app notifies success or failure. Interrupting this process due to impatience will screw things up royally.
good luck
2017-9-30
Use props
Doomer1
lvl.1
United States

Okay I have tried several times to re-install the firmware. It will say its successful on the app but the remote still says 1.7.90. I will try a few more ideas such as deleting the app and resetting the wi-fi on the controller to default so see if the result changes.
2017-9-30
Use props
Doomer1
lvl.1
United States

It was identified in a different post from the DJI forum that if you just need to update the remote you can turn it on with just the app. THis is why the version shows 1.7.90 when the remote is on but shows 1.9.90 when everything is turned on. The remote will not link to the drone when its powered on. I have to manually set it every time. This has to me a firmware mismatch and I just need to know how to force my remote to take the 1.9.90 update. Apparently the app option is not working.
2017-9-30
Use props
stuka75
Second Officer
United States

Doomer1 Posted at 2017-9-30 18:41
It was identified in a different post from the DJI forum that if you just need to update the remote you can turn it on with just the app. THis is why the version shows 1.7.90 when the remote is on but shows 1.9.90 when everything is turned on. The remote will not link to the drone when its powered on. I have to manually set it every time. This has to me a firmware mismatch and I just need to know how to force my remote to take the 1.9.90 update. Apparently the app option is not working.

Have you tried an update with both remote and ac turned on? If so then my suggestion was not the problem.
2017-9-30
Use props
Doomer1
lvl.1
United States

stuka75 Posted at 2017-9-30 23:30
Have you tried an update with both remote and ac turned on? If so then my suggestion was not the problem.

Yes yesterday I did it twice to confirm I did not miss a step. I do not wish to load the firmware over an over on a drone I just get back from repair on Friday so I am limiting what I do to the drone itself. The issue existed prior to my drone going into service. It started doing this after the Firmware release at the end of June. Back then I had tried downgrading and reloading firmware to try to fix this issue.
2017-10-1
Use props
Doomer1
lvl.1
United States

I need to know all the different methods I can use to apply a firmware update to the controller. Using the app obviously is not working.
2017-10-1
Use props
stuka75
Second Officer
United States

Try this technique.
"Switch on RC
Switch on AC without SD card.
Let them lock RC will turn green, but AC LED will flash RED as it tries to find the SD card.
Insert SD card (I find I lift the AC and tilt it so camera gimbal rotates camera giving me better access to SD card slot).
Put back on flat surface and leave both RC and AC alone while you go make a cup of tea. It will make all those beeps and LED will flash RED GREEN on the AC.
After about 15 or minutes ... beeps change and LED is green on AC. Switch off AC then switch off RC.

Now start up everything as normal ... RC then AC then Tablet ... check that all is GREEN !!
Now do the non-critical calibrations such as Gimbal and Controller.
Check setting you normally have such as Max altitude .. Flight modes ... distance off etc. Reset to your parameters.
Power down.
Switch on RC
Switch on AC without SD card.
Let them lock RC will turn green, but AC LED will flash RED as it tries to find the SD card.
Insert SD card (I find I lift the AC and tilt it so camera gimbal rotates camera giving me better access to SD card slot).
Put back on flat surface and leave both RC and AC alone while you go make a cup of tea. It will make all those beeps and LED will flash RED GREEN on the AC.
After about 15 or minutes ... beeps change and LED is green on AC. Switch off AC then switch off RC.
Now start up everything as normal ... RC then AC then Tablet ... check that all is GREEN !!
Now do the non-critical calibrations such as Gimbal and Controller.
Check setting you normally have such as Max altitude .. Flight modes ... distance off etc. Reset to your parameters.
Power down.
Go outside to nice clear open area away from metals and influences. Do full calibration of IMU and then Compass ...
That's it"
You must download the .bin file and add to the sd card in the root. Be sure all other .bin files are deleted.
the fly in your ointment may be the link between ac and tx should be intact during upgrade. IF not, try anyway There is some question as to whether the phantom tx itself is updated during the process or it has a permanent firmware. NO one seems to know, or not telling.
Good LuckTechnique compliments of Solentlife. Contributer extroidenair, and sometimes crabby dude

2017-10-1
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

Doomer1 Posted at 2017-9-30 16:43
Okay so I confirmed that the release I need per this document is 1.9.90. I need to understand now why the remote will not allow me to update to it. Are them alternative ways to load the firmware?

The information on how to update the firmware can be done here: http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/p ... Update_Guide_en.pdf

If your concern is updating the remote, you can keep the aircraft off and make sure that your mobile device is linked to a Wi Fi modem when updating.
2017-10-2
Use props
Doomer1
lvl.1
United States

DJI support today confirmed the remote is faulty and is not allowing the firmware update to proceed. Its stuck on 1.7.90 and will not update. So its going in for service/replacement.
2017-10-2
Use props
djiuser_ks1fTg3
New

United States

I'm having a similar problem
2017-10-2
Use props
djiuser_ks1fTg3
New

United States

The difference is my app shows the new update.  I might get an used remote from ebay.
2017-10-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules