National Defense Reserve Fleet, Suisun Bay, California NEW VIDEO
1296 6 2015-4-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
doctrrf
lvl.3

United States

Here’s a new video. Comments are welcome.  

The story behind this video is about sending my Inspire-1 out into the “abyss” and trusting it to perform as advertised. After all, that is what I laid-out my $3000 for. That doesn’t mean I’d fly with a known serious problem. My only issues so far have been bugs in the 1.2.0.17 firmware, none of which I consider fatal.   

The targets were at about 2 kilometers, and at the ragged edge (and a little beyond) the Inspire-1’s video link range (no way to get closer). I spent an hour+ over the target area but only managed to come home with about 6-7 minutes of usable footage due to almost constant video dropouts, i.e., flying blind.  Once lost, reestablishing the video/data link, many times, required reeling the Inspire-1 back in using the RTH function to around 4500’ before the video/data link was solidly reestablished and then going back for another try. I remember pressing the RTH button and then waiting……waiting......waiting…… until the RF link came back up for onscreen confirmation that RTH was actually in process, a little unnerving and definitely a leap-of-faith but, at $3000 should there be any doubt?   

I'm glad to report the Inspire-1 performed flawlessly and as advertised -- nice!

2015-4-6
Use props
JakeLikesStuff
lvl.3

United States

I was scoping that area out on Google Earth hoping to find a close take off point. Don't think I'm ready to risk the distance you put in. Nicely done though.
2015-4-6
Use props
doctrrf
lvl.3

United States

JakeLikesStuff Posted at 2015-4-7 10:25
I was scoping that area out on Google Earth hoping to find a close take off point. Don't think I'm r ...

Thanks!

Regarding flying at long-distance, here’s the way I look at it:

If my Inspire 1 cannot perform as advertised I want to know about it now while it’s still under warranty.
I will not accept anything less than what DJI is promising with the Inspire 1.

2015-4-7
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

Cool ...

Swedish military would never allow us to use that kind of footage

Did you try this?
http://youtu.be/6BPQxflfQiE
2015-4-7
Use props
doctrrf
lvl.3

United States

w1der Posted at 2015-4-8 01:05
Cool ...

Swedish military would never allow us to use that kind of footage

Thanks!

And thanks for the link. As shown, the test doesn't look like it would provide any real-world data (it looks like an RF multi-path jungle). A proper RF test needs to be done in a controlled environment i.e., an anechoic test chamber or outdoors in an open area. At the very least the test should be done with the tablet/iPad installed on the controller to see its effects on the RF signal.

As far as the Swedish Military goes, I don't think they'd have problem with this type of footage. The ships are not part of a military fleet. These are cargo/unarmed ships. These ships are in storage and in theory could be called into service for an emergency scenario, could be a civil or a military support role. In reality, most of these ships will be scrapped. If the Swedish Military has a problem with that I'm glad I don't live in Sweden!
2015-4-7
Use props
Aerographis
lvl.2

United States

Spectacular! Not much left of the mothball fleet, it's great that you got footage before it disappears completely.
2015-4-7
Use props
doctrrf
lvl.3

United States

Aerographis Posted at 2015-4-8 08:11
Spectacular! Not much left of the mothball fleet, it's great that you got footage before it disappea ...

Thanks!

My thoughts too. I guess it won't be long before they're all gone. I grew up in the Bay Area and remember crossing the Benicia bridge (just west of the fleet) back in the 70s; it was a jaw-dropping sight to see hundreds of these ships, all lined up.

Of course back in those days who could have imagined we'd be casually talking about filming this site with the incredible personal UAVs and powerful cameras we have at our disposal today... it is magic!
2015-4-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules