Power Loss near Electric lines and Transformers
1330 8 2015-4-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bfisk953349
New

United States

This is a bit of an odd question.  I have been flying RCs for some time and I recently got a Phantom2 Vision.  A few days ago, I got about 15 feet away from a transformer, I was above it, and the entire bird lost power for a few seconds.  Even the video from the fall is corrupt.
Note, I was able to regain control after a fall of about 20 feet and avoid a crash.

Is there any way to counteract this?  I have been doing some research into EMF/EMR shielding and there are several things that are rated for power transformers.

I am aware that any sheilding would have to be kept away from the GPS antenna and RC antenna.
2015-4-7
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

That is to close.  I fly over them but try to stay 50 feet above them.
2015-4-7
Use props
bfisk953349
New

United States

I am aware of that, but I am wanting to get video of several local parades.  Power lines and transformers pepper the parade route.  I cannot get usable video from that distance.
2015-4-7
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

bfisk953349@gma Posted at 2015-4-8 12:03
I am aware of that, but I am wanting to get video of several local parades.  Power lines and transfo ...

the only answer I can sugest you don't want to hear.

if you are having power issues for any reason don NOT fly in that area period.

iam guessing the power trans are 20 foot up or so

it was suggested 50 foot up would be an idea and really if people are under you that may be pushing it.

I say that due to your being aware of power drops already,  and 30-50 feet leaves no f-up room.

good luck and stay safe!
2015-4-7
Use props
bfisk953349
New

United States

I have used gas powered RCs at that range with inly liitle interference to the signal.  I was hoping someone here has had more experience than I with the Phantom and could suggest a viable EMF/EMR shield.  I am sincerily hoping that I will not have to get several types and experiment with them.

If I can get the control, motor, and cameral circuits shielded I can let the GPS take over and program the flight pattern over the parades.
2015-4-8
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

bfisk953349@gma Posted at 2015-4-8 16:27
I have used gas powered RCs at that range with inly liitle interference to the signal.  I was hoping ...

Gas is one thing, these quads are another.  You seem to be avoiding the fact that you shouldn't be flying over people and knowing you have interference problems and still thinking it is okay is foolish in my opinion.  Relying on GPS flight to keep it safe is a ridiculous notion as well.

Why take the chance?  What if it falls out of the sky right when some local dignitary is passing by and your quad crashes on his/her head?  Or some innocent little child watching from the sidewalk suddenly has their face mangled by your quad falling from the sky?

Read the forums - no matter how many precautions you take, no matter how experienced you think you are, the bird can fall out of the sky at any moment for any number of reasons.
2015-4-8
Use props
DJIP2plus513
lvl.2
United States

We had our one crash as a result of this.

We were walking down the sidewalk with the P2 in front of us at eye level when we inadvertently walked under a transformer. The P2 lost contact and took off straight up to recover itself but bounced off of the trees above. My son caught it on the way down with the only damage to the props from the trees. A very close call.
2015-4-8
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

Good/Bad info to know. I will definitely stay away from transformers
2015-4-8
Use props
bfisk953349
New

United States

Relying on GPS flight to keep it safe is a ridiculous notion as well.

I am aware of this, the GPS would only be to maintain the route.  I could walk along with the drone so I would be able to take manual control should the need arise.  I am also working with some old military friends to do some modifications to the firmware for further safety.

I really don't have much of a choice since my getting the drone was dependent upon my contractual agreement to video the local parades and events.  I demanded that the contract also exempted me from any damages and/or injuries caused by malfunctions.  Still, I am doing everything I can to minimize any possible malfunctions.

I have other ideas on controlling the drone as well, and I wanted to ask on the forum about those ideas as well.
2015-4-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules