How far to stay away from high power lines???
8965 13 2017-10-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
VetteGuyZ06
lvl.3
Flight distance : 429114 ft
United States

I have two different power transmission lines near my house.  Both go to an electrical sub station about 3/4 of a mile from my house.   How far do I need to be if I am flying above these lines in order to not get interference?  I'm thinking if I'm 200' above these lines, is there still interference?  
2017-10-11
Use props
fans61699a75
First Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

A few weeks ago , i was actually flying approx 100 meters from power lines. When drone was about 40 meters high, i got compass error , went atti mode and drifted away. I straight away put rc in atti mode and had drone in controll. 5 seconds afterwards put rc in p mode and landed safely. I read other stories where nothing happened when flying near or above powerlines. I think it also depends on the voltages of electricity if something or nothing can happen. Just one advice , stay away from them as far as possible. Even the dji manual says somewhere not t fly near powerlines
2017-10-11
Use props
VetteGuyZ06
lvl.3
United States

I don't have any idea of the voltage these lines carry.  There are 3 or 4 large lines and the poles are metal instead of normal wood power poles, plus they are taller than regular poles.  They are both south and west of me, ending at the sub station.   I have not been anywhere near them so far, but just wondering if I stay a couple hundred feet above, if I will have any problems.  
2017-10-11
Use props
fans61699a75
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

I suggest do not fly near them. It only takes a second and it can go wrong. If you still want to fly there,At least keep it in sight and practice with flying in atti mode.
2017-10-11
Use props
Flick6211
lvl.1

Netherlands

It depends of the voltage of the transmission lines.
2017-10-11
Use props
fans61699a75
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

Just take the car or bike and go a little bit further away from it. Why risk the drone. Unless you have enough money to buy a new one incase it crashes
2017-10-11
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

The transmission lines themselves should not cause interference.  
2017-10-11
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

I have flown around some of these lines too. I have never had any troubles myself, but I wouldn't be seeing how close you can get either. I think some towers may have different effects depending if
they are high-voltage or cell phone or some other type of transmission lines. I have noticed that once in a while I will briefly lose my signal if flying directly over one, but never had the drone go crazy or lose control to where I got in trouble. I guess anything is possible, but for the most part I don't think high-voltage lines should be causing you any issues to worry about. Just my opinion .
2017-10-11
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1385223 ft
United States

I don't even like going over the little ones.... I work to avoid them if at all possible.  
2017-10-11
Use props
VetteGuyZ06
lvl.3
United States

Thanks for everyone's opinion.  One of the lines is close enough that I can see it...about 500 yds away.  I think I will just stay real high if I chose to go that direction.  Hopefully, I wont have any problem.  Just got State Farm Insurance today on the drone, so if it drops out of the sky, I'm covered.  $60 a year.
2017-10-11
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The greatest danger is flying into the lines, not from any perceived 'interference' they may cause. The truth is they don't cause interference to your Phantom, there is a team of people flying Phantoms near me along high voltage (220,000 Volt) transmission lines in order to check them and the insulators for damage. And I am sure they do so in other parts of the world.
2017-10-11
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

2017-10-11
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-10-11 15:04
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMLLKbEf9dI

While I don't like that guy, mostly because he comes across as an idiot, he is dead right about the myths, with one exception, I don't believe that Kp index crap either. It is a phenomenum that only affects radio reception at high altitudes, it has negligible effect on a drone at the altitudes we fly. Cue the Kp addicts.
2017-10-11
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Agree with 6#. I would try my best to avoid these as it may cause destructive catastrophe.
2017-10-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules