United States

Positives:
4k 30 fps resolution.
720p live video preview
1 mile range
Same price point
Down cameras for stability near the ground and hopefully easier landings
More powerful motors
New controller design with LightBridge looks greatMore GPS and Glonass satellites tracking
Gold baby!
New low cost 1080p 60 fps version ($999)

Negatives:
Same basic design with the inherant instability while descending
Still top heavy and missing legs below the motors so it will tip over easily and damage the props
23 vs 25 minutes promised flight time.
No waypoint flying in DJI app (according to Engadget)

Questions:
What is the upgrade path for existing customers?
Will the Phantom 2 apps get upgraded ever?
Will the new controller work with the Phantom 2?
What does this say for Phantom 3 owners when the Phantom 4 is released?
Is the camera gimbal more robust or is it still likely to be destroyed in a crash?

2015-4-8
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

Honestly, I wasn't all that impressed.  I agree with all your negatives.
2015-4-8
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

very interesting.  can't wait for the first bug free release.
2015-4-8
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

Looks as though new technology is still daily changing. I think it great. Yea I'm a little disappointed as a vision 2 plus owner who has had the new plus less than 60 days to see a new bird. But that's technology ... Ever changing!!
2015-4-8
Use props
jliddil
lvl.2

United States

nrgwise Posted at 2015-4-9 00:38
Honestly, I wasn't all that impressed.  I agree with all your negatives.

certainly only an incremental upgrade. The thing I want to see is how the other initiatives they announced are rolled out and do they fix their customer support
2015-4-8
Use props
cayers13
lvl.3

United States

ugh wish I would've held off buying the 2V+ in January. I was already regretting not getting a Zenmuse/GoPro
2015-4-8
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think they are just slowly improving their main machine.

It all made sense when I flew home from Tampa last night.

I flew in a SW Boeing 737-800.
I generally dislike 737's - they are the "bus" or "cheap jeans" of aircraft and the earlier models certainly didn't make flying seem as civilized as some newer and larger planes.

The new one - evolved, redesigned, reconfigured (just like the Phantom) is truly impressive! They have refined everything, from the cleanliness of the filtered air to the overhead compartments to the lighting, etc.

The avionics are improved - it's quieter.

We shouldn't knock evolution - it sometimes, especially in the case of aircraft and complex vehicles, can beat out "revolution". It's the old story of "the best wheels are often round".

DJI has a chance to go back to the drawing board...and when they did they probably figured out that, within the price and design parameters, the existing form factor made a lot of sense.

I'm sure they have other models in development....but in order to produce them they need to sell many thousands of units each week. The Phantom is the fuel that drives their R&D.
2015-4-8
Use props
grangerfx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

I think the positives outweigh the negatives. I am actually pretty excited about the Phantom 3 Pro. I won't be getting one for at least six months while the dust settles unless I smash my P2V+ in the mean time. I also want to see what the competition releases in that time period. The 4K camera plus the new controller is a pretty killer combo for the price.
2015-4-8
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

grangerfx@gmail Posted at 2015-4-9 04:47
I think the positives outweigh the negatives. I am actually pretty excited about the Phantom 3 Pro.  ...

Another positive, no more GPS loss of signal.  Phantom 3 works with GPS and GLONASS sats.

GPS Mode

GPS/GLONASS
2015-4-8
Use props
grangerfx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-4-9 05:11
Another positive, no more GPS loss of signal.  Phantom 3 works with GPS and GLONASS sats.

OK I added that.
2015-4-8
Use props
bahamasboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13845 ft
United States

For what I do with mine and the $ I've invested in extra batteries, cases, TX upgrades, and soon to receive antennae upgrades... the P3 isn't impressing me much.   The inspire was MUCH more impressive and yes, much more expensive.  I'll be happy flying with good ole' Mary Poppins for a long time!
2015-4-8
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-4-9 05:11

Help us out, Gerry, what is the difference between GPS and GLONASS sats?  I was receiving 13 sats today in Ventura County.
2015-4-8
Use props
FrankDevin
lvl.1

Germany

GLONASS is the Russian equivalent of GPS satellites. Both are military navigational systems doing the same. Sending timecodes from synchronized atomic clocks. Check wiki for more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GLONASS

Sven
2015-4-8
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

HermosaDrones Posted at 2015-4-9 13:45
Help us out, Gerry, what is the difference between GPS and GLONASS sats?  I was receiving 13 sats  ...

Frank has it right,  Glonass is Russian.  It is possible to pick up 13 gps sats at one time.
2015-4-9
Use props
Bobcat90
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2517654 ft
  • >>>
Taiwan

Even though I am excited about the Phantom 3, I will continue to fly my PV2+ until next year, hopefully i can get a lower price for the P3, or I might be able to buy a P4.  I have to admit, the P3 is really enticing.
2015-4-9
Use props
adrianjacobs
lvl.3

United Kingdom

P3 sounds good for when I lose/break my P2 but not until then
2015-4-9
Use props
Friffy1
lvl.2

United States

There's another pretty big positive..   From P3 we see:

"Point of Interest
Select a location or object to focus on, and the Phantom 3 will continuously face it, no matter how you fly."

Where the hell's that for my P2V+?!

2015-4-9
Use props
ronnydsosa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21624 ft
United States

Friffy1 Posted at 2015-4-10 02:06
There's another pretty big positive..   From P3 we see:

"Point of Interest

Not completely truth.... That feature is not right out of the box... It will be available with the SDK when if  it ever becomes available... And will have to be added to an APP by a third party developer.. Won't be part of the DJI Pilot App.  
2015-4-9
Use props
Friffy1
lvl.2

United States

ronnydsosa@gmai Posted at 2015-4-10 02:11
Not completely truth.... That feature is not right out of the box... It will be available with the ...

I see that now. Didn't notice it was under the SDK category.

Still, this is nice:

Vision Positioning

Fly indoors, low to the ground, and in GPS-free areas with Vision Positioning technology. Visual and ultrasonic sensors scan the ground beneath your Phantom 3 for patterns, enabling it to identify its position and move accurately.

2015-4-9
Use props
cathalspot
lvl.2

Ireland

Hi Guys
the 3 looks very cool especially at that price point...Although must be said looks like it's going to be a lot more expensive for us, I'm in Ireland.
Biggest thing I think camera upgrade.. Don't see the big deal about flying indoors...not much use for it, in fact almost dangerous, one can carry the v2+ while shhotong indoors and have the benifit of the gimbal without worrying about chopping someone's head off.
As for landing, well if you can't land it probably a good idea not to take off.
All I can say though is great work, live my pv2+ delighted to see DJI keep pushing the envelope, and I wonder what next.
maybe a brushless gimbal we can mount go pros on ?
What do you think?
2015-4-11
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Yug Posted at 2015-4-12 08:08
I think the future of the P2 depends a lot on the number of P2's manufactured to date and how long t ...

Just sent you an email
2015-4-11
Use props
cathalspot
lvl.2

Ireland

4k is flying around very where these days (forgive the pun) but true 4k I can't watch no 4k tv or monitor, most people don't.
So is not recording in 4k the editing and compressing for the Web a bit like buying a Ferrari to diliver a pizza?
Great but maybe overkill?  
2015-4-11
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

cathalspot@yaho Posted at 2015-4-12 08:41
4k is flying around very where these days (forgive the pun) but true 4k I can't watch no 4k tv or mo ...

Agreed....780p is just fine. As to your previous post, it appears they are getting away from the Go Pro. Maybe they will have another model later on without the camera.
2015-4-11
Use props
cathalspot
lvl.2

Ireland

Umm for delivering pizza?
Fly fun?
No options for a camera would seem like a waste of space to me.  Having said that some of this drone racing going on looks very cool...
3rd party camera?
Can't see how Phantom eco system would suit some of the larger cameras on the market...
The new Samsung s6 has a stunning camera so has the s5...point being I am sure they could keep improving on that end too over time.
2015-4-11
Use props
mmee1992
lvl.3
United States

Helicopters in general are unstable while in a decent due to vortex ring state. Happens in real helicopters too.
2015-4-11
Use props
allbritt
lvl.2

United States

Can't wait for the phantom 5 (ver 12)
2015-4-12
Use props
Lee321
lvl.1

United States

I've got a Phantom 2 Vision and I'm seriously considering selling it and buying the Phantom 3 just to be rid of the whole WiFi range extender hook up.  I like the idea of plugging my iPad Mini directly into the controller and getting the video thru it much better.  
2015-4-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules