Taking ,SPARKY to CYPRUS , Flying spark, Travelling with..
2095 18 2017-10-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wobbles
Second Officer
Flight distance : 547438 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi Guys
just got back of holidays to PROTARUS in CYPRUS, and want to let you know how it all went.

Firstly had got all my batteries (5 Off) to less than 50% stuck them in a LIPO bag and Sparky FLYMORE COMBO) was in a waterproof case too.
Had them both in rucksack for hand luggage on Airplane.
Got to airport (flying with JET 2)
went to security and was asked the normal questions (plus a few more as the security has been ramped up from last week), so I told them I was travelling with a drone, and I had checked with airline they accept it.Security guy was great and just asked to put drone in one tray , batteries in another and then all the normal stuff in third ...which i did and sent it through the XRAY machine ..
ALL GOOD SO FAR.
then I walked through full scanner they have at EAST MIDLANDS no and was pulled to one side....oh dear, I am thinking me and SPARKY might not be going on holiday..

then was taken to the end where , very strangely Sparky, and batteries tray was there to collect. BUT my MAN BAG with all my stuff in , IE watch ,wallet, money etc., was with this rather angry looking guard with is hand over it below a XRAY screen of the contents of my bag showing. I was thinking what the hell is up now. Had I put batteries in bag by mistake..
THEN THE QUESTION CAME , the one we all hate to hear ...
"HAVE YOU PACKED THE BAG YOUSELF ?"
COULD ANYONE HAVE TAMPERED WITH YOU BAG ? and he added very sternly "be careful how you answer this one"
by now I am crapping myself PROPER..
so as I had packed it I said
"NO I HAVE PACKED IT !" thinking what the hell is my bag ..

And then in the most campest voice ever as he brings up 2 cans of pop I had put in earlier for a drink at airport (THAT I HAD COMPLETLY FORGOT ABOUT)..and says
"THAT WILL BE YOU PUTTING THESE IN ".
and all the security around us burst out laughing , including me tbh....
I could not tell you the relief and shaking my head with stupidity about putting liquids in a bag..
then the guard said sorry for that but we just like to have a laugh , and they could see how nervous I was about the drone....
I love the fact they are human..
anyway I had no PROBLEM with SPARKY in Cyprus ,either travelling or flying ...apart from the obvious 5.8 gz loosing image transmission every 2 seconds,
so went to OTG cable , turned IPHONE 6s plus to airplane and switched WIFI of...and HAD ZERO ISSUES after that, so god knows why DJI wont support this as its perfect. I was flying in a heavy populate area with loads of hotels and Wi-Fi signals everywhere. ( I was sensible and never flew over people or out of sight , and hopefully will have some great footage..(POSTING OVER WEEKEND ) when had chance to edit some...
I flew every day at some point and have got to say , it made my holiday.
SPARKY behaved impeccably and has come home safe and sound and will have his holiday now over our UK winter,,,,LOL LOL

so the main reason for this lengthy post
is I just do all the necessary checks and take precautions when travelling with DRONES and you will probably be fine, BUT DONT FORGET the rest of your stuff needs checking too
LOL LOL LOL LOL

Protarus ,Cyprus

Protarus ,Cyprus

protarus at sunset

protarus at sunset
2017-10-19
Use props
wobbles
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

------forgot to add DID A COMPASS CALIB when i got to Cyprus too -----
2017-10-19
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

I believe you have fun with your spark.  Pre-flight check and choosing the correct flight environment is crucial to fly your drone successfully.
2017-10-19
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Thank you for sharing this nice story! Cyprus is a great place and I am looking forward to your footage.
2017-10-19
Use props
Viking-Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2379249 ft
Spain

Hahaha...that must have been fun to see you in the control in that situation...thanks for sharing and your recommendations,  looking forward to see your shots and footage from that trip.
2017-10-19
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

Thanks for sharing a typically story about clearing security at an airport.  It's a scary and intimidating experience, but in the end, it's just our nerves getting the best of us.  Glad it turned out to be a funny story and were able to travel to Cypress without any issues.  Enjoy your Spark and don't forget to post your pictures and videos.  Have fun.  
2017-10-19
Use props
djiuser_Kf4iPA3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 510968 ft
Israel

Is that Protaras in the picture?
2017-10-19
Use props
wobbles
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_Kf4iPA3 Posted at 2017-10-19 09:22
Is that Protaras in the picture?

yes it sure is
2017-10-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice story and picture!
Hope to see more soon
2017-10-19
Use props
wobbles
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

here first vid
2017-10-20
Use props
DocAraxá
Second Officer
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

Nice shots!
Congrats!
2017-10-20
Use props
wobbles
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

sunset over fig tree bay ,protarus
2017-10-20
Use props
wobbles
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sparky

2017-10-21
Use props
wobbles
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

sparky at the FUNFAIR
2017-10-22
Use props
sparkly kelly
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hello my good drone people.
I'm also going to Cyprus on holidays and I don't know how much has changed since this post in terms of legislation. I wanted to take my Spark (for recreational purposes - open category). I've been doing some research and it seems that I have to register here:
https://www.drones.gov.cy/mcw/dc ... tourist_en?OpenForm

But I'm not sure if I also have to complete one of the two forms attached here:
http://www.mcw.gov.cy/mcw/dca/dc ... 2B6EBA?OpenDocument

In case I do, I suppose is only the "aerial photography with drone"? In this case, do I have to fill with exact dates and location? I'll spend a week there and I don't have a proper schedule.
If anyone can shed some light I'd appreciate. Thanks in advance and have a fun flight!
2018-4-30
Use props
wobbles
Second Officer
  • >>>

sparkly kelly Posted at 2018-4-30 08:45
Hello my good drone people.
I'm also going to Cyprus on holidays and I don't know how much has changed since this post in terms of legislation. I wanted to take my Spark (for recreational purposes - open category). I've been doing some research and it seems that I have to register here:
https://www.drones.gov.cy/mcw/dca/drones/drones.nsf/tourist_en/tourist_en?OpenForm

Hi nothing has changed YET in Cyprus for needing to fill any forms in
https://uavcoach.com/drone-laws-in-cyprus/
as far as i am aware that is , as taking sparky and P4P+ back again in July
cheers
2018-4-30
Use props
sparkelly
lvl.1
United Kingdom

wobbles Posted at 2018-4-30 08:54
Hi nothing has changed YET in Cyprus for needing to fill any forms in
https://uavcoach.com/drone-laws-in-cyprus/
as far as i am aware that is , as taking sparky and P4P+ back again in July

Thanks a lot!
2018-5-1
Use props
wobbles
Second Officer
  • >>>

no probs happy flying ,
2018-5-1
Use props
Firehawk989
Second Officer
Flight distance : 198904 ft
Canada

Also, OTG appears to be supported now on both Android and IOS with the newest Go4 4.2.12!

Nice footage!
2018-5-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules