No Image Transmission Signal
1342 17 2017-10-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans0ab4d934
lvl.2
United States

Every time I power up my P4P, Remote and DJI Go APP I get the No Image Transmission Signal message.   After about 5 or so minutes of waiting it goes away and I am able to see what the camera is looking at through my screen.   I have been flying the same bird with no issues for about 5 months and this is something that just started.  I would appreciate it if anyone could help me troubleshoot or give me a fix.  

Thanks
2017-10-19
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1448799 ft
United Kingdom

What are the firmware and software versions? (app, phantom, controller)

With everything powered up, in DJI Go 4 go to General Settings/About
2017-10-19
Use props
fans0ab4d934
lvl.2
United States

PaulSouthport Posted at 2017-10-19 14:14

I will check tomorrow and get back to you. Thanks
2017-10-19
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

You might consider something is going bad.  With electronics, especially ones this complex, you might have a circuit or some capacitor that might have a micro fracture that when cold is causing enough of a break that prevents operation until it heats up and the fracture closes creating a full circuit, thus allowing it to operate normally.  I'm not an expert with modern electronic design, but I know past components like this would behave in similar fashion.  The only solution is to have it sent in for analysis and have the bad part replaced.  I would consider this as one possibility.
2017-10-19
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Please answer the questions the post 2# asked. Is it a P4P, or P4P+?
2017-10-19
Use props
fans0ab4d934
lvl.2
United States

PaulSouthport Posted at 2017-10-19 14:14

App - 4.0.8

Aircraft - 01.01.0203

Says Remote Version Unknown -  It is the standard RC that came with my P4P

Current time from when I power up to when "No Image Transmission Signal" goes away and I get a screen I can see through is about 5-7 minutes.  Once it clears I can fly with no further issues.  

2017-10-21
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Guess it's just gotten "cold natured".
2017-10-21
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1448799 ft
United Kingdom

After you power up, open DJI go does it prompt you to install firmware?
In camera view, click on the status bar - the green bar at the top - and check for firmware inconsistencies
2017-10-21
Use props
fans0ab4d934
lvl.2
United States

PaulSouthport Posted at 2017-10-21 04:44
After you power up, open DJI go does it prompt you to install firmware?
In camera view, click on the status bar - the green bar at the top - and check for firmware inconsistencies

It says firmware update required but it has been saying that for several months now.  I have held off updating because of all the issues others have had.  With that said,  I have been using my current firmware for 4 or 5 months with no issues.  This problem just started a few weeks ago and I have made no changes to anything.   As I mentioned above,  the "no image transmission signal" message with a black screen last for 5 to 7 minutes usually, and then corrects itself.  During the time I get the message I can still move my gimbal, fly if I want too and take photos and video, I just can't see what it is I am shooting or where I am going until the issues clears.   Thanks
2017-10-21
Use props
peter-a
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2228 ft
Italy

I have exactly the same problem and my firmware is definitely up to date.  Up until today it would begin working after 5-10 minutes or so, but today it never worked after multiple reboots of aircraft and RC.  The problem occurs at all operating temperatures.   Somewhere on this forum I saw that there was a way of debugging the problem through the logs.  Could anyone explain how to do this and what variables to look for?   I have already found the MISC directory in the memory chip and looked in the LOG subfolders, but it is empty.   Sorry.  Aircraft is P4P purchased this year.

2017-10-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

This is another one of those rare, unique problems, that very few will ever experience.

I wonder if it's in the app, or the drone itself?

Have you tried reinstalling your app?

RedHotPoker
2017-10-23
Use props
peter-a
lvl.1
Italy

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-10-23 00:36
This is another one of those rare, unique problems, that very few will ever experience.

I wonder if it's in the app, or the drone itself?

Yes, and same symptoms on both mac and android.  also on two memory chips.  Looking at the entries i this thread, I don't think the problem is rare at all.  Lots have experienced it.
2017-10-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

peter-a Posted at 2017-10-23 00:52
Yes, and same symptoms on both mac and android.  also on two memory chips.  Looking at the entries i this thread, I don't think the problem is rare at all.  Lots have experienced it.

I wouldn't say lots have experienced this. Actually a very few.

I hope you can figure out what caused this, and get it corrected.

RedHotPoker
2017-10-23
Use props
peter-a
lvl.1
Italy

Thanks.  Me too.  Right now trying to figure out why aircraft isn't writing its log into the card.  I've seen at least 20 posts with this and after trying all the other suggestions it seems like the latest firmware for the aircraft may be the problem.     This was what I found elsewhere on this forum

"    But I still had the original problem of no signal. After going through all of the normal troubleshooting with customer support (relinking the RC and P4, resetting the RC, refreshing the latest firmware), I was told to send it in for repairs. I got angry and told the person that wasn't an option, and that I wanted to return it. After another 10 point volley, I was told that I could try downgrading from V01.04.0602 to V01.03.0509.

That worked!!!

I now have signal!

I hope this helps someone else who is currently struggling with this issue.

ryancathey, Jun 26, 2017 "
2017-10-23
Use props
peter-a
lvl.1
Italy

This has been happening for me too, but the bad part is that the 5 minutes becomes 10 minutes and then (as happened to me today) it never returns to working.  All firmware refreshed, tried all the tricks of reformatting SD card, rebooting RC and Aircraft, trying 5gHz instead of 2.4.  No luck any more.  One thing is that when the aircraft is connected to DJ Assistant, and the RC is on, then Video signal comes on immediately.  It's time to call for support.  I've lost so many instances of great light, or even photographing blind, and I can't take it any more.   
2017-10-23
Use props
fans0ab4d934
lvl.2
United States

peter-a Posted at 2017-10-23 07:45
This has been happening for me too, but the bad part is that the 5 minutes becomes 10 minutes and then (as happened to me today) it never returns to working.  All firmware refreshed, tried all the tricks of reformatting SD card, rebooting RC and Aircraft, trying 5gHz instead of 2.4.  No luck any more.  One thing is that when the aircraft is connected to DJ Assistant, and the RC is on, then Video signal comes on immediately.  It's time to call for support.  I've lost so many instances of great light, or even photographing blind, and I can't take it any more.

Would love to know what you find out after calling support.   Like you mention above, 5 minutes is turning to 6 minutes and on.  It won't be long before I can't fly at all and the way it is now I can time a flight because I don't know when the issue will correct itself.   
2017-10-25
Use props
peter-a
lvl.1
Italy

Ok, I wish I had a nice clear path to an answer, but not yet.  

My problem with long long Image Transmission start-up times remains.   I have tried all the usual channel and bitrate selection tricks,  refresh of firmware, etc.  Everything except backdating firmware which is very tricky now.      After having had some very interesting conversations with the DJI technicians in Germany (I tried Holland and Italy and they were just barely polite but not much info), it sounded to them as if it is a hardware issue and I'm beginning to agree.  The American DJI  support person, who has been corresponding with me but doesn't sound all that technical, said that I should first try doing a factory reset of both the drone and the r/c,  then relink, but I am unable to do the factory reset because DJI Assistant bails after about 10 seconds.  This is new.   

The German tech said that he thought it wasn't a firmware issue, and indeed I had successfully refreshed and re-linked last week, but it made no difference to the image transmission delay.  Now I can't even do refresh the software  Because the initialization is taking longer and longer (now 20 minutes for me) he thought it was  a temperature related issue on one of the boards.  The progressively deteriorating problem does seem to point to that.  But It's perfectly happy just flying and capturing image and video --- but it's all blind.   

Now, about returning it for warranty repair.....  For me, sending it in is a real problem because I'm in Italy with a drone purchased though a US based Amazon reseller and apparently the US, Asian and European regions don't recognize each others warranty provisions.  Can you believe it?     I'm going to have to wait months until I get back.

However there is one remaining thing that perhaps one of you out there might know --   what is the significance of a specific  Camera Status LED (same as link button on the aircraft)  blink pattern I'm seeing.     It's not documented for the P4P manual.  When the Drone is started, it starts out green and then switches to flashing green-orange-red green-orange-red etc.  After many minutes of that when (and if) the Vision signal does appear, then I notice the Camera Status Led has gone solid green.   Some of the earlier documentation for P4 and P3 show this sequence as simply being initialization -- and if this applies also to the P4P, it just means that the system is hung initializing and never gets past that state.

I also learned one other thing that some may find useful.  Apparently when linking the Aircraft to a laptop with DJ Assistant, you should use the specific USB to micro-USB  cable that came with the drone because it's shielded.  If you don't have it with you, use the shortest, highest quality cable you can get, because apparently this link is very susceptible to interference.  In my case that wasn't the issue, but it's good to know.

That's all I can say for now, and it's depressing.
2017-10-26
Use props
fans0ab4d934
lvl.2
United States

I have tried everything.  Nothing works.  I still have to sit and wait anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes to be able to see what the camera is seeing and for the "no image transmission signal to clear" after powering everything up.  It is like it is warming up or something.  The thing is I don't live in a cold environment.  I am just waiting now for it to not work at all.  Really don't want to send my P4P back to DJI for the second time in less than a year.
2017-11-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules