Has anyone successfully obtained a Part 107 waiver for night flying?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kuya Kano
Second Officer
Flight distance : 797913 ft
United States

I tried applying for a Part 107 waiver to fly after sunset and they keep replying that I don't provide enough explanation as to how the P4P will be safely flown at night.
Can anybody give me some tips, or key words as to what information they want to hear?  I have heard others say they were granted the waiver and I see videos of people flying after dark so I know it must be possible.
Can anybody help?

Flying after Dark

Flying after Dark
2017-10-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

I would think the videos you see of people flying after dark are not officially sanctioned flights.
2017-10-21
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I suggest you tell us what you've told them, and we'll see where the weakness in your info is.  
2017-10-21
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

Re: the videos:  The night restriction is in part 107, which doesn't apply to recreational flyers.  You as a 107 pilot may not be able to legally fly drunk and at night and over people, but little Jimmy can.
2017-10-21
Use props
iFlyMyDrone.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 740548 ft
United States

I have never applied for a waiver but I would think that you need to state that you plan to maintain line of sight, unaided view of the quadcopter, and state that you plan to use a visual observer.
2017-10-21
Use props
Kuya Kano
Second Officer
United States

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-10-21 16:32
Re: the videos:  The night restriction is in part 107, which doesn't apply to recreational flyers.  You as a 107 pilot may not be able to legally fly drunk and at night and over people, but little Jimmy can.

If a private jet pilot can text me while his plane is 1 minute from wheels down, I should be able to fly at night while sitting on the toilet.  Oh, you probably didn't want that illustration, did you?
2017-10-21
Use props
sSunSets
lvl.4
Flight distance : 311089 ft
United States

LOL... Thanks again Retro...
2017-10-21
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

Kuya Kano Posted at 2017-10-21 17:54
I should be able to fly at night while sitting on the toilet.

Hmmm I think we found the problem.  Maybe delete that part from your waiver request and resubmit it to the FAA?
2017-10-21
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Kuya Kano Posted at 2017-10-21 17:54
If a private jet pilot can text me while his plane is 1 minute from wheels down, I should be able to fly at night while sitting on the toilet.  Oh, you probably didn't want that illustration, did you?

Aloha Kuya Kano,

Here are the guidelines the FAA provides for the waiver.  My friend recently got rejected because the project manager did not provide enough information about what the project was about to justify the waiver.

Guidelines for the Applicant;

Provide a method for the remote pilot to maintain visual line of sight during darkness.

Provide a method for the remote pilot to see and avoid other aircraft, people on the ground, and ground-based structures and obstacles during darkness.

Provide a method by which the remote pilot will be able to continuously know and determine the position, altitude, attitude, and movement of their small unmanned aircraft.

Provide a method to assure all required persons participating in the small unmanned aircraft operation have knowledge to recognize and overcome visual illusions caused by darkness, and understand physiological conditions which may degrade night vision.

Provide a method to increase conspicuity of the small unmanned aircraft to be seen at a distance of at least 3 statute miles unless a system is in place that can avoid all non-participating aircraft.

Hope this helps!  I think the last one is easy to dismiss if you do not intend to fly more than 400 feet from the base or launch point.  But, you would have to eplain that.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-10-22
Use props
fanscdf805b3
lvl.1
Flight distance : 220466 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, we have a 4 year waiver to fly at night. One of very few in VA
2017-10-22
Use props
Kuya Kano
Second Officer
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-10-22 00:51
Aloha Kuya Kano,

Here are the guidelines the FAA provides for the waiver.  My friend recently got rejected because the project manager did not provide enough information about what the project was about to justify the waiver.

Thank you for sharing that.  Third time is a charm.
2017-10-22
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Still loving these diminutive Lume Cubes, that are bright enough to light the way... Ha

There are ways to help illuminate the night sky...

RedHotPoker
2017-10-22
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Kuya Kano Posted at 2017-10-22 15:45
Thank you for sharing that.  Third time is a charm.

Kuya
Good to see you back!

Check this person out...DRONR, he states that he was approved for a night waiver and if you contact him he might help explain what he needed to do to get it.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkqLBNHIDHztoMp6zSeEhw

Good Luck
2017-10-22
Use props
Kuya Kano
Second Officer
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-10-22 16:26
Kuya
Good to see you back!

Thank you for sharing that.  I subscribed and will check out his information.
2017-10-22
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good to see you back Kuya!
2017-10-22
Use props
Kuya Kano
Second Officer
United States

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-10-22 18:02
Good to see you back Kuya!

Maraming salamat po.  Tara na sa Pilipinas sa anim na lingo.  Sobrang excited!!!
Bringing the Phantom 4 Pro to Manila and Palawan.
2017-10-22
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Kuya Kano Posted at 2017-10-22 18:23
Maraming salamat po.  Tara na sa Pilipinas sa anim na lingo.  Sobrang excited!!!
Bringing the Phantom 4 Pro to Manila and Palawan.

Wow, excited na excited ka! have fun po.
2017-10-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules