12Next >
3609 41 2017-11-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Matioupi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 922569 ft
France

I just wen out for testing the .0701 fw and DJI GO 4.1.14 app (Android)
No OTG cable, frequency selection set to Auto.

I've seen a new behaviour that I don't remember seeing with older app/firmware :
When reaching long distance and signal started to get weak, the system auto switched (in flight) band from 5.8 which to 2.4 GHz.
Do you also see this ? Is it supposed to behave like that now ? Was this behaviour already there before ?

By the way, I've been very pleased with low latencies, reached flight distance etc.

I only noticed one strange behaviour on GO4 App : I started the flight with the map windows on "hybrid" and by the end of the flight, it had switched to "map only" and pressing the "hybrid" button had no effect. After restarting Go 4 App, hybrid setting was reachable again.

2017-11-1
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Thank you for this report! The automatic band switch sounds excellent and I am quite sure that this is a new feature. I'll soon go testing as well, sunny weather here.
2017-11-1
Use props
Edd_88
lvl.3
Hong Kong

Change frequency during flight sounds bad to me. I suppose there shall be a black out period no matter change from ac to rc or rc to mobile, the ac will be disconnect for a moment. Who know what will happen in that even split second. Even worse, it disconnect forever.
2017-11-1
Use props
Matioupi
lvl.4
France

Edd_88 Posted at 2017-11-1 03:07
Change frequency during flight sounds bad to me. I suppose there shall be a black out period no matter change from ac to rc or rc to mobile, the ac will be disconnect for a moment. Who know what will happen in that even split second. Even worse, it disconnect forever.

To me, it does not look more dangerous than the dynamic homepoint...

If the dynamic frequency band change is implemented with care and used in limited situations (i.e. triggers only in case of repeated or very low signal level and before triggering RTH) then I see this as a good point that will enhance the user control on the device.
The dangerous point would be if RC and AC always "miss" each other when trying a new band, but there are ways to avoid this quite easily.
2017-11-1
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

"When reaching long distance and signal started to get weak, the system auto switched (in flight) band from 5.8 which to 2.4 GHz.
Do you also see this ? Is it supposed to behave like that now ? Was this behaviour already there before ?"

That is a safety feature, I think. I see that all the time, if in "no connection" cases, the Drone tries to reconnect
2017-11-1
Use props
jangermann
lvl.3
Flight distance : 182680 ft
Denmark

I really hope that it not true!
Because then I will loose connection to my Galaxy S7 because DJI use a invalid 5.8G channel in my country.
2017-11-1
Use props
PedramN
lvl.4
Iran

jangermann Posted at 2017-11-1 03:51
I really hope that it not true!
Because then I will loose connection to my Galaxy S7 because DJI use a invalid 5.8G channel in my country.

It seems that major EU wifi problem now is solved. If you see the frequency table in wifi properties tab of dji go4 , now channels 1 through 11 are added to frequency table as well as previous 149-158 channels. As now, all EU users can connect to 5.8 ghz through valid 1 to 11 channels. And for frequency swithing, it is a sweet and much requested feature that enhances RC performance notably and from the user viewpoint, this frequncy shifting has no consequences on flight because is done very quick,  quiet and un noticeably. Thanks DJI . Good work.   
2017-11-1
Use props
Matioupi
lvl.4
France

PedramN Posted at 2017-11-1 04:12
It seems that major EU wifi problem now is solved. If you see the frequency table in wifi properties tab of dji go4 , now channels 1 through 11 are added to frequency table as well as previous 149-158 channels. As now, all EU users can connect to 5.8 ghz through valid 1 to 11 channels. And for frequency swithing, it is a sweet and much requested feature that enhances RC performance notably and from the user viewpoint, this frequncy shifting has no consequences on flight because is done very quick,  quiet and un noticeably. Thanks DJI . Good work.

1 to 11 (FCC) or 1 to 13 (CE) are not 5.8 GHz, they are 2.4GHz channels.
DJI has only revamped the channel view and displayed both bands on the same display.
2017-11-1
Use props
Matioupi
lvl.4
France

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-11-1 03:37
"When reaching long distance and signal started to get weak, the system auto switched (in flight) band from 5.8 which to 2.4 GHz.
Do you also see this ? Is it supposed to behave like that now ? Was this behaviour already there before ?"

I hope we'll have other answers... I really don't remember ever seing this auto band switch
2017-11-1
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

Matioupi Posted at 2017-11-1 04:22
I hope we'll have other answers... I really don't remember ever seing this auto band switch

I actually observe this till just before I flew in a "CE-country".
(https://forum.dji.com/thread-112132-1-1.html)
Whenever it gets to bad signal, at least after "disconnected", it tried to switch from 5.8 to 2.4

But: I only fly with OTG!
In europe there is (was?) the problem for lots of androids, to switch to 5.8 wifi to RC
My guess, you had no chance to get this change, without using OTG or an iOS.
Hopefully this changed now.

Is it only me, or is DJI much to quiet about changes in the firmware/software?
Aside some obviously added function, I mean!
2017-11-1
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

Matioupi Posted at 2017-11-1 04:22

I have just flown three batteries and can confirm the automatic switching of bands. Before the update my connection was always at 5,8 Ghz. Today it seamlessly switched automatically between 2,4 and 5,8 bands. This is definitely new and seems to work very well. I have been flying with OTG connection but that does not seem to have any influence.
2017-11-1
Use props
Edd_88
lvl.3
Hong Kong

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-11-1 03:37

I am in Hong Kong.
Was using 4.1.10 & 1.00.06xx, the RC to AC stay in 5.8 if you not manually change it. It will back to 5.8 if your restart the AC or RC. I once lost connection (AC not video) in only around 100m distance. It never try to change to 2.4. It just trigger RTH and fly back.

I then purposely test it by blocking the transmission by walk to some place behind building (AC turn on but not take off). The signal just getting weaker and weaker and disconnect. No change. Also tried 2.4, the same, no change but I can go farther.

Just update to 1.00.0701 (App still in 4.1.10. I am an Android fans), I notice the band change randomly between 2.4 and 5.8 even I and the RC just 1 meter from the AC.

For the time being, I prefer to stay in manual 2.4ghz.

2017-11-1
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

Edd_88 Posted at 2017-11-1 07:07
I am in Hong Kong.
Was using 4.1.10 & 1.00.06xx, the RC to AC stay in 5.8 if you not manually change it. It will back to 5.8 if your restart the AC or RC. I once lost connection (AC not video) in only around 100m distance. It never try to change to 2.4. It just trigger RTH and fly back.

Are you wifi connected to the RC or via OTG?

I assume, that if Wifi connected there is NO change (possible) from 5.8 to 2.4 from RC - AC
2017-11-1
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-11-1 07:04
I have just flown three batteries and can confirm the automatic switching of bands. Before the update my connection was always at 5,8 Ghz. Today it seamlessly switched automatically between 2,4 and 5,8 bands. This is definitely new and seems to work very well. I have been flying with OTG connection but that does not seem to have any influence.

Are you sure about the OTG has no influence?
Why dont you try in wifi only mode again?
2017-11-1
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-11-1 07:27
Are you sure about the OTG has no influence?
Why dont you try in wifi only mode again?

Just read the first post of this thread: Matioupi has been flying without OTG, I have been flying with OTG and we have both had the same results. This is what I call "seems to have no influence". If you are not happy with this just test yourself I'd suggest
2017-11-1
Use props
HomePoint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Looking forward to the weekend to try and see if my Spark can now fly around effortlessly switching automatically to suit the places and distances that I am flying, this will be awesome if it works.  
2017-11-1
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-11-1 07:32
Just read the first post of this thread: Matioupi has been flying without OTG, I have been flying with OTG and we have both had the same results. This is what I call "seems to have no influence". If you are not happy with this just test yourself I'd suggest

Still cant get the Go4 update, sry!
2017-11-1
Use props
Matioupi
lvl.4
France

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-11-1 07:32

I confirm, I've been flying without OTG and I saw this seamless frequency band change (at long range)
2017-11-1
Use props
Arcicorsa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 235892 ft
Czechia

If it really automatic switches over the bands 5.8Ghz and 2.4Ghz during the flight so it will be really great for users in the EU ...
2017-11-1
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

Arcicorsa Posted at 2017-11-1 08:03
If it really automatic switches over the bands 5.8Ghz and 2.4Ghz during the flight so it will be really great for users in the EU ...

Probably not for (all) android users without OTG in Europe.
Which was my point for asking Watchberger (if in Europe/CE-country right now), if it is the same without OTG ;-)
2017-11-1
Use props
Arcicorsa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 235892 ft
Czechia

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-11-1 08:31
Which was my point for asking Watchberger (if in Europe/CE-country right now), if it is the same without OTG ;-)

I thought sarcastically. If this is the case, we will be unhappy in the EU ..
2017-11-1
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-11-1 08:31

It might be lack of knowledge on my side, but I fail to get your point. Kindly explain please.
2017-11-1
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-11-1 08:44
It might be lack of knowledge on my side, but I fail to get your point. Kindly explain please.

As soon the bird get switched to 2.4 GHz, the phone needs to get to 5.8
As long it is either or, and not 2 times 2.4, to bird and phone/device
How was the problem for some androids, not seeing the RC's 5.8, after changing Sparks wifi to 2.4?

Its not lack of knowledge, it is flying all the time with OTG! ;-)
2017-11-1
Use props
Matioupi
lvl.4
France

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-11-1 08:50
As soon the bird get switched to 2.4 GHz, the phone needs to get to 5.8
As long it is either or, and not 2 times 2.4, to bird and phone/device
How was the problem for some androids, not seeing the RC's 5.8, after changing Sparks wifi to 2.4?

Some Android phones do not have this flaw of not allowing the SRD 5.8GHz (at least mine works correctly)
From what i've been reading on the forum, even CrystalSky does not seem to properly handle 5.8 channels 149 to 161 which are the only one handled by Spark RC...

Nevertheless, you are right that this auto switch to 2.4 GHz in non OTG mode will be an issue for many (most of) Android users in Europe as their phones will not be able to use the 5.8GHz for the phone to RC link. If the feature is well implemented, it should prevent that.
2017-11-1
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

Now even I understood it, thank you both S-e-ven and Matioupi for explaining! And it will be an even bigger pleasure then to continue flying with my beloved OTG cable ;-)
2017-11-1
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

Matioupi Posted at 2017-11-1 09:00
Some Android phones do not have this flaw of not allowing the SRD 5.8GHz (at least mine works correctly)
From what i've been reading on the forum, even CrystalSky does not seem to properly handle 5.8 channels 149 to 161 which are the only one handled by Spark RC...

What has to be tested, I think.
There is no better way to point it to DJI, that OTG NEEDS to be a supported function.
Not for longer range
But for control via RC, not only in case of switching to Atti
2017-11-1
Use props
Matioupi
lvl.4
France

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-11-1 09:04
What has to be tested, I think.
There is no better way to point it to DJI, that OTG NEEDS to be a supported function.
Not for longer range

100% agreed...

On that matter, DJI is really seems to be denying the fact that the vast majority of Android phones in Europe do not support the 5.8GHz channels that the RC and Spark are using... (or they do not understand which would be even worst)

According to EU rules those phones could support it, but DJI is at fault for not having tested that this has indeed been implemented... even for phones on their "tested list" and even for their CS...

Right now OTG is the only way  (i can imagine) to allow android EU users to user 2.4GHz on the RC to AC link. Another way would be to force FCC mode, but event with that, I'm not sure that the phones would follow it because the mecanism to choose the regulatory domain would receive mismatching informations (the cellular and GPS side would drive to "EU" and the Wifi side would drive to "FCC")
2017-11-1
Use props
N8m888
Second Officer
Flight distance : 80535 ft
United Kingdom

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-11-1 07:04

Unfortunately for some reason I do not seem to be getting this frequency change.
Flew today in "auto" to test.
It started out in 5.8g until about 320m when I got a "lost signal" message but no switch to 2.4g ☹️☹️
On the flip side 360 pano works well .....
2017-11-1
Use props
Edd_88
lvl.3
Hong Kong

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-11-1 07:25
Are you wifi connected to the RC or via OTG?

I assume, that if Wifi connected there is NO change (possible) from 5.8 to 2.4 from RC - AC

RC to phone via wifi. That's I wonder how it works. Sometimes whem I do manual switching, myphone will connect to my home wifi occasionally. I will try use wifi analyzer to see what actually happen if my second or the free analyzer fast enough.
2017-11-1
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

Matioupi Posted at 2017-11-1 09:10
100% agreed...

On that matter, DJI is really seems to be denying the fact that the vast majority of Android phones in Europe do not support the 5.8GHz channels that the RC and Spark are using... (or they do not understand which would be even worst)

In FCC mode it is not really an issue because the signal strengh is almost identical in both bands. 5,8 Ghz between RC and Spark is even an advantage there because of less interference.
For Europe or in general the best solution would be implementing the Occusync from Mavic also in Spark.

2017-11-1
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

Update: When I tested the very latest Android App version 4.1.15 today there was no more band switching displayed, but my Spark remained locked on 5.8Ghz as before yesterday's updates. Has that maybe been another bug in App version 4.1.14 ? Needs further testing...
2017-11-2
Use props
medyq69
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15358 ft
Poland

auto switching wouldnt be good. I fly in city where wifi is weak beacuse of its amount and if i set manual some freq that mean i want it and nn auto change - i have low signal notification even 2 m from phone so auto switching would be initiated almost immediately when u have all channels junked by 30+ wifis nearby
2017-11-2
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

An h. ago, I flew with .701 but 4.1.10 to the disconnecting distance.
And yes, there is a change to the behavior in .600, before.
This time, as it got down to 1 or 2 bars, RC and AC tried continously to change to the better band.
On .600 it just tried to reconnecd in 2.4 and as soon that happened, it was back to 5.8 just after that.
This time, I even flew almost a minute, in 2.4 GHz.
Till there was nothing else as a RTH.
This around 15-1600m at 75m
Another flight, other "target" stopped at 2000m and had really trouble, to reconnect after auto RTH kicked in.

Even if "green", I cancelt the RTH, the band switching happened and the next RTH kicked in.
Spark needed to get back some hundred meter, before I really could gain control again
2017-11-2
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

medyq69 Posted at 2017-11-2 15:39
auto switching wouldnt be good. I fly in city where wifi is weak beacuse of its amount and if i set manual some freq that mean i want it and nn auto change - i have low signal notification even 2 m from phone so auto switching would be initiated almost immediately when u have all channels junked by 30+ wifis nearby

The 5.8 band is also full?
2017-11-2
Use props
medyq69
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15358 ft
Poland

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-11-2 23:38
The 5.8 band is also full?

my phone doesnt see spark if its in 5.8. I can use at home or friend band 2,4ghz and 5.0ghx to connect to router wifi to use internet but cant connect to dron via 5.8 (wich i suppose is not wifi band to net connection but to control devices band) - old phone or channel used by spark not seen in Poland
2017-11-2
Use props
Flip_L
lvl.3
Flight distance : 330686 ft
Germany

My band stays locked at 5.8GHz no auto switch.
2017-11-4
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

I flew a bit around (OTG-cable connected) today, to check some things.
And I experienced a  lot of band changes.
I even flew for quiet some time only in 2.4 GHz.
And this behavior is really new to me.
2017-11-4
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Its really strange ! My phone does not connect to the 5.8 band, so when i manually switch to 2.4 i loose connection on my phone.
But when i fly the AC (this time without OTG) i see the icon change multiple times swich from 2.4 and 5.8 and it keeps the connection to the GO app on my phone.....
So whats happening?
2017-11-4
Use props
Locationscout_B
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62201 ft
Germany

JJBspark Posted at 2017-11-4 08:08
Its really strange ! My phone does not connect to the 5.8 band, so when i manually switch to 2.4 i loose connection on my phone.
But when i fly the AC (this time without OTG) i see the icon change multiple times swich from 2.4 and 5.8 and it keeps the connection to the GO app on my phone.....
So whats happening?

now its time for you to "love" the OTG.
my concern is, with new fw I never can observe noisy channels around me. The red, blue, green bars dont schow up, if I let unplgged OTG and with OTG. I have Huawei P8lite.
2017-11-4
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

JJBspark Posted at 2017-11-4 08:08
So whats happening?

Your phone cant 5.8.
Which would be the connection to the RC
Since you use the OTG connection, the RC/Spark combination has full freedome, to check which band gets the better connection between AC and RC.
In my eyes, it does this checking a bit to often.
But thats only me, perhaps?
2017-11-4
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules