Noisy, grainy video
905 12 2017-11-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
xtrmtrk
lvl.1
Flight distance : 60013 ft
United States

I continue to have problems getting clean smooth video from my Mavic.  I've tried all kinds of settings, but the noise and grainyness just never go away.  Here's an example from this morning - straight from the SD card without any modifications:

Grainy Video - Easy to see in the  gravel in the dump truck and in the leaves on the trees.

This was shot with ISO 100, Shutter 50, WB Cloudy, Style +1 -1 -1, NTSC, 2.7K 24fps.  I get the same results regardless of the Color selection; this clip was shot with TrueColor.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal and if so how you get rid of it?  I'm starting to believe the camera on my Mavic is defective.
2017-11-1
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

There's only so much you can expect from what is essentially a cellphone camera, but to my eyes that just looks over-sharpened -- have you tried shooting in good light with sharpness at 0?
2017-11-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Maybe even try -1 for sharpness.
2017-11-1
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

I'm not sure if this will help, but try posting your video on a different "host".  I've seen pretty big differences between YouTube (better) versus Flickr (not as good).  I've not tried Dropbox before, but it'd be worth a few minutes to ensure it's not simply where you house the video.
2017-11-1
Use props
TroutboyNZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1726486 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Agree, I played around a bit lately with the 0 and -1 sharpness, I'm positive DJI has done something in the later firmware updates that removes the old watercolour effect on anything under 0 sharpness. -1 actually looks great now for me and 0 is also pretty good. +1 is no longer any good, very grainy as you experienced!
2017-11-1
Use props
xtrmtrk
lvl.1
United States

Thanks guys (and nice brownie TroutboyNZ!!!).  I'll try playing around with the sharpness setting.
2017-11-1
Use props
xtrmtrk
lvl.1
United States

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2017-11-1 12:32
I'm not sure if this will help, but try posting your video on a different "host".  I've seen pretty big differences between YouTube (better) versus Flickr (not as good).  I've not tried Dropbox before, but it'd be worth a few minutes to ensure it's not simply where you house the video.

I put it up on Dropbox so people could download the original unmodified file.  I don't know what the Dropbox video viewer does, so I don't recommend using it.  But if you hit the download button, you'll get an exact copy of my original file.
2017-11-1
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi, I am unable to catch your video, it seems to be deleted. But according to your description, maybe you can refer to these threads, our R&D engineers have some answers about this case.
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 1827&fromuid=332382
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 5299&fromuid=332382
2017-11-1
Use props
nottuppaware
Second Officer
Flight distance : 70745 ft
Australia

I found 1+ sharpness too grainy as well, leave it at 0. Shooting -0.7EV (ie underexposed) helped a head keep that noise in the shadows and you can brighten it up after.
2017-11-1
Use props
xtrmtrk
lvl.1
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-11-1 20:46
Hi, I am unable to catch your video, it seems to be deleted. But according to your description, maybe you can refer to these threads, our R&D engineers have some answers about this case.
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 1827&fromuid=332382
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 5299&fromuid=332382

Sorry about that, I'm not quite sure how that link broke.  Here it is again, hopefully it will continue to work:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ozarvt1ra1u71c5/DJI_0002.MOV?dl=0

2017-11-2
Use props
xtrmtrk
lvl.1
United States

After playing around a bit, +1 is too noisy while 0 and -1 definitely give me "blotchy" looking areas and I loose a lot of detail.  This is getting frustrating.  I'll continue to experiment, but I'm ready for a better or less lossy compression algorithm 0 and under sharpness.
2017-11-6
Use props
fyl88
lvl.2
Flight distance : 398274 ft
Japan

xtrmtrk Posted at 2017-11-6 21:34
After playing around a bit, +1 is too noisy while 0 and -1 definitely give me "blotchy" looking areas and I loose a lot of detail.  This is getting frustrating.  I'll continue to experiment, but I'm ready for a better or less lossy compression algorithm 0 and under sharpness.

What FW version are you on ?
2017-11-7
Use props
nottuppaware
Second Officer
Flight distance : 70745 ft
Australia

xtrmtrk Posted at 2017-11-6 21:34

I actually found its slightly a limit of the sensor, and I have to choose what I shoot to get the best image. Too close to sunset and the shadows lack details, too much contrast and I'm better shooting in D-Log.

Not the perfect solution, but maybe try some noise reduction in a video editing software like DaVinci.
2017-11-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules