Using a non cell device - Ipad Pro wifi only - Clarification needed
584 4 2017-11-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chinook203
lvl.2
Flight distance : 112142 ft
United States

I have always flown my P4s with an Iphone and put it in airplane mode only.  Never had any issues with RTH if needed.  I was given a deal on an Ipad Pro - wifi only.   Then was told that I can't use RTH anymore.   I had thought it still worked completely normal when flying, at least in P mode.   Can someone clarify this for me please?  I have even flown in areas where there is no cell phone signal at all, but out of habit had always put my cell phone in airplane mode.  Want to get a better understanding of this if I have been wrong.    I fly 2 Phantom 4s and should be getting a P4P soon.
2017-11-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Then was told that I can't use RTH anymore.

You have been told this by an idiot.
The Phantom has a perfectly good GPS that it uses for all flight functions (including RTH).
The only things you can't do with a non-GPS iPad are:
1.  Follow-me flight (but you can do active track)
2.  Reset home to the current location of the controller (which you might use on a moving car or boat)

btw  Your Phantom doesn't need cell service at all and you can switch to airplane mode if you like - or not.
It won't make any difference.
2017-11-2
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Agree with Labroides,
2017-11-2
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Chinook, you can check this function through user manual. Please check more detail from the attachment.
RTH.PNG
2017-11-2
Use props
Chinook203
lvl.2
Flight distance : 112142 ft
United States

Thank you so much both of you.  This person is a self proclaimed expert and by the end of the conversation had me doubting myself.  I knew I couldn't use follow me, but figured if I ever do use that, my cell phone is always there. Wanted a larger screen for the most part.   
2017-11-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules