First time flying in the dark
1352 8 2017-11-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
APWdesign
lvl.1
United Kingdom

So I took the little Spark out for its first night time flight to capture some pics of the local fireworks display - I must say that I was really surprised with the quality of the photos, not so much my photography skills but it's ability to shoot in such difficult conditions is quite impressive.  Does anyone else have any experience of night flying worth sharing?

(Full Size)

(Any constructive critisim will be graciously accepted)
2017-11-4
Use props
tcase
lvl.2
Flight distance : 988 ft
United States

Did you turn off sensors before taking flight. I went out at night once, but was to nervous with the drift both with sensors on or off. Only hovered about 4  feet off the ground then called it quits.
2017-11-4
Use props
APWdesign
lvl.1
United Kingdom

tcase Posted at 2017-11-4 06:20
Did you turn off sensors before taking flight. I went out at night once, but was to nervous with the drift both with sensors on or off. Only hovered about 4  feet off the ground then called it quits.

To be honest, I was very nervous.  I didn't turn any sensors off and I did experience a bit of drifting but only a few metres or so and I took it to a max altitude of about 60m
I was careful to keep a safe distance away from any people, property or fireworks! - just in case.
I wouldn't think twice about flying in the dark again,  my confidence in this little thing is growing all the time.
2017-11-4
Use props
Ryan's Sparky
lvl.4
Flight distance : 302316 ft
Norway

great shots, I would be worried about my spark being shot out the sky haha
2017-11-4
Use props
Ryan's Sparky
lvl.4
Flight distance : 302316 ft
Norway

I bought a cheap (£35) drone to practice with before I purchased my spark, it was great to lean the basic controls. When my spark arrived I was surprised at the difference, it just doesn't budge - no drift at all. I still like to fly my cheap one now just to keep my skills up incase I ever have to fly atti mode with my spark and because it fun!
2017-11-4
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Nice shots. I do think that video is the better mode for fireworks. Will test that for the Spark on new year, perhaps
2017-11-4
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very nice captures.
2017-11-4
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

tcase Posted at 2017-11-4 06:20

When you go out flying at night you have to make sure that you are familiar with the airspace and knowing that there is nothing that will obstruct IE: wires, trees etc etc.  Great fun flying at night time.
2017-11-4
Use props
APWdesign
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

@ Ryan's Sparky - I too have a cheap 'toy' drone which I use to keep up my flying skills! - Still great fun

@ S-e-ven - I agree, the video is equally impressive -

@ Lucas 775 - Excellent advice! Thanks  -  I fly here regularly in the daytime so I am fully aware of the surroundings, if I were to fly at a new location I would do a recce during daylight before attempting to fly in the dark.
2017-11-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules