Poor Distance with P4P PLEASE HELP
771 9 2017-11-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
J-Man
lvl.1
Flight distance : 61381 ft

United States

I have a P4P bought in July 2017 from Amazon and using a iPad mini4 with 128gb WiFi+Cell. I have tried and tried to get better distance with this unit but the furthest I have been able to go is 3400ft DISTANCE (.67 of a mile) pretty poor!
I’m in a somewhat populated area where I’m standing and where I fly is over wooded terrain and subdivision. I have tried both channels on Auto and the best came from the 5.8 band (3400ft) at an Alt of 275-350ft atp.
I even tried keeping iPad hot-spotted to my cell phone, I have up to date dji go 4 etc... I’m just at a loss...???
I have seen people claiming they get 3-4 miles... I can’t even get 1 mile.
Once I get to the above stated range, screen says lost connection or lost signal and the P4P enters RTH mode.
Do I have a bad unit???
Any help is greatly needed,
Thank you

2017-11-4
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1448799 ft
Ireland

Make sure your antennas are oriented correctly, pointing straight up with the flats facing the phantom, clear line of sight.
Put your phone and go device in airplane mode
2017-11-4
Use props
fansf0a7b92a
New
Flight distance : 202254 ft

United Kingdom

Hello...If you live in a well populated area it could be interference or if you lose line of sight you'll lose signal.
2017-11-4
Use props
J-Man
lvl.1

United States

Thank you, so I read about putting in airplane mode... I went to do that but I noticed it turned off internet etc... does that not matter?
2017-11-4
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

You don't need an internet connection to fly.
2017-11-4
Use props
J-Man
lvl.1

United States

Okay, that I was not clear on. I knew you could fly without internet, but thought it helped if you did. So Alabama, you are saying internet is not used at all for flying then right.? Probably only useful for filming LIVE then?
Thank you
2017-11-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

J-Man Posted at 2017-11-4 11:18
Okay, that I was not clear on. I knew you could fly without internet, but thought it helped if you did. So Alabama, you are saying internet is not used at all for flying then right.? Probably only useful for filming LIVE then?
Thank you

There is no need at all for internet data while flying.
Try a different location if you want distance.
Urban areas are always going to give much lower range because of interference.
2017-11-4
Use props
Edward J Smith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1852408 ft
  • >>>
United States

You might try extending your height too the max of 400 feet.
2017-11-4
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

'I’m in a somewhat populated area where I’m standing and where I fly is over wooded terrain and subdivision. '

Range depends mostly on the ability of the aircraft and RC unit to receive radio data, and the greatest enemy to model RC aircraft is WiFi, and any populated areas these days have masses of WiFi hot-spots. It does not matter if your aircraft is out over wooded terrain if your RC unit is back in the suburbs. You're not going to get anywhere near the advertised range until you get away from population and out in the countryside.
2017-11-4
Use props
hdlou94
lvl.4
Flight distance : 753163 ft
United States

good luck, i have same issues and just get the run around
2017-11-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules