Golf Course Fly Bye Height?
2528 15 2015-4-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tomslk
lvl.1

Indonesia

So I worked out a deal to do a fly over for each hole of my local golf course in exchange for a 1 year pass. I have to fly each hole while shooting video and then edit it so they can put it on their website and other advertisements. Free Golf for a year!  So now the hard part, not really but I want to do a good job. What would you think would be the optimal height to run the fly by. Too low you don't get the big picture and too high you don't see the details of each hole. I am thinking around 100 feet but will know better after I do the first one and can look at it on video.  I would love to get any input or suggestions for my fellow DJI colleagues.
2015-4-9
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

You could fly in an arc, as if you are the golf ball, that would be cool...
2015-4-9
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2015-4-10 14:15
You could fly in an arc, as if you are the golf ball, that would be cool...

That would be cool!
2015-4-9
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

Maybe from the tee off start low, ascend high going down the fairways then descend to the greens. Circle the entire green keeping the camera pointed at the flag, then off to the next tee off.......just my idea....
2015-4-10
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
United States

Or, take a few bad shots into the pond or sand traps. Following up on Rays suggestion, have the Phantom bounce up and down as it hits the green like the ball would.

(I don't want to put my name here, I just got up)
2015-4-10
Use props
birdfolk5555
lvl.3

United States

Bring donuts for the grounds crew.
2015-4-10
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
United States

birdfolk5555 Posted at 2015-4-10 20:05
Bring donuts for the grounds crew.

Good idea! One of my first jobs out of the service. Worked at an uppity-up private golf club. Old retired guys would get bored and would try to hit me with golf balls while I was mowing. They hit the tractor more than a few times but never managed to bean me with one.

Jerry
2015-4-10
Use props
cob666
lvl.2

Canada

That's a really good idea that I'm going to recommend to the local course here, thanks.
2015-4-10
Use props
Tomslk
lvl.1

Indonesia

After multiple practice runs it looks like 90 feet is about right and late afternoon is much much better than early morning. The light is much softer and complimentary later in the day. I will post one of the holes after I finish it.
2015-4-10
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

show them what they can only see with a drone.
2015-4-11
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

There are numerous golf course promos on youtube. You could see what works and what doesn't, and gauge the height they use on theirs.
Good luck, l'd love to see what you come up with.
2015-4-11
Use props
trsmith18
lvl.2

United States

totally plan on doing this
2015-4-11
Use props
Godfrey
lvl.2

China

My 2c. On one of the course that I play, they use beige colored fine sand or dried clay to patch up the divots. I ts very good for maintaining the fairways for the players but from above, at certain angles and time of the day, they show up pretty good. Not a very nice scene.

CDGC1.jpg
2015-4-11
Use props
Tomslk
lvl.1

Indonesia

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10153249017694295

Here is a link to the first hole I finished. Any and all feedback is appreciated.
2015-4-11
Use props
wilkinsondave
lvl.2

Canada

Tomslk Posted at 2015-4-12 11:04
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10153249017694295

Here is a link to the first hole I finished. ...

It looks very good. Before I saw your pics, I was thinking about how high would be  the right height. I too have a deal with a couple of golf courses for the same thing. As soon as the grass starts growing, and we get some green on the trees etc., I am planning on doing the fly overs.
I have been watching the golf channel as they do flyovers of the holes. Even the ones done with the simulator seem to be just above tree height near the centre of the "arc". Then come down low enough at the green, to just include the green and about 10 yards of rough.
On TV they start off from a height (60 - 90 ft?) to show the whole hole and then come down to the T Box (10 ft?) and then continue down the fairway at about 40 ft until they reach the green at 10 ft height again. Rotate the camera to look back down the fairway and slowly rise straight up to about 30 ft again. Stop.
Just some thoughts, but any test shots that I have done seems to work out pretty good. When all else fails watch the TV to see how they do it..... they really do know what looks best.
dave
2015-4-11
Use props
Larry L
lvl.3

United States

I just finished my local course yesterday. I flew just above tree height.  What I did for them is. I started my phantom at back tees, started recording as I assended to above trees as I was flying down fairway. I had camera pointing down fairway so you could see horizon at around green is. As I got closer, I panned down to the green & hovered while viewing green. That way they can edit the video exactly where they want. My problem is I think some of videos were too long ( .45-1:00 ) the super & pro said it was perfect.
I am doing another country club on Monday. It is going to be a big job as they have 54 holes & are in the process of building 18 more.
2015-4-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules